P1549 Code - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st October 2006

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 95 Aero 5 speed
Default P1549 Code

i have been getting code P1549 on my 2003 aero. i know it has to do with the turbo and boost. i cleared the code and it came back in about 5 days. any idea what i should be looking for. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd October 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

P1549 = weak engine. Its normally the boost pressure control valve.
Old 2nd October 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9000 B234R+ M/98 and 9-5 Aero Sedan M/01

Hej !

P1549, Charge Air, Malfunction

Here is a quick guide, that may help.

a) Check the hoses to the charge air control valve.
If OK, go to "b"
b) Connect W and C, boost should never go above 0.50 bar.
If OK replace the control valve.
If not OK, check turbocharger
Old 30th April 2013

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: Uncle's 9-3 convertible, 2.0T
Default More error codes

Hey guys, I found this post and was hoping for some help.

I am working on my uncle's 2000 Saab 9-3 SE convertible and it comes up with the P1549 code as well as a P0106 and a P1300. The 1300 code came up initially when he brought it to me with running issues, but the turbo hoses had blown off/loose at some point as well. Ideas? thanks.
Old 23rd September 2015

Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2000, 9-5 Wagon, 5 Speed.

I have in my 2000 SAAB 9-5 2.3 v4
Backdrop.
--leaking oil everywhere (un related to code )and since we saw oil in intake we thought turbo is ill. I ordered a cheaper turbo from china and gave away mine to mechanic ( so getting the old one not an option ) .its supposed to be compatible with exact same model & engine series.
Old turbo had very small amount of oil really not that much to render it useless.

Eventually traced to oil pan bolt
-- last time it came due to leaky hose. I replaced all the vacuum hoses as well as change the old plastic turbo bypass valve with a forge type of metal valve that was supposed to give superior performance
Saab 9-5 2000 threw in a CEL.
On pulling to the shoulder and scanning the codes I found
p1310 P1310 Ignition Dicharge Module Not Powered

P1549 :
& p1549. boost control valve

Incident # 2
was driving up hill and suddenly at 2 rpm , I found CEL due to p1549.
This time the other fault code was not there.
I checked all the vacuum hoses .They were okay this time too.... so it looks like... has it anything to do with the dump valve change. I think I put 2 rings ( washers ) in there with the softest spring.
Ct to drive between 2 - 2.75 rpm after code erase.
What caused this situation for the 1549 to be triggered on an uphill .Can someone please complete the picture

Incident 3
Just finish using the car for the whole trip and I got the p1546 dump valve error .... totally three times. And all three occasions were related to excessive power for uphill or whenever I sought extra speed by going beyond 3k rpm.
The turbo bypass valve is actually the Forge kind of valve Which has 2 rings or washers and a spring in it. The washers ... do not remain in the center but willl fall down towards the inlet for the vacuum hose. I am not sure how they're supposed to be in there ( in what position ) and what their presence will make in terms of power . Should I remove the Rings or just remove the forge valve and replace it by the old plastic "hoot valve hat came with the SAAB. Why does the problem happen at high rpm and also in the previous time had a DIC code with it.
Old 24th September 2015

Join Date: Aug 2015                                                

When I got the p1549 code it was because the compressor vacuum hose was very frayed and falling apart. Just had to buy a new one (get silicone) and was all set from there

This video might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBTyqrzXT8E
Old 24th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterstein555 View Post
When I got the p1549 code it was because the compressor vacuum hose was very frayed and falling apart. Just had to buy a new one (get silicone) and was all set from there
Hi thanks for response. Which compressor vacuum hose are we talking about (location ). Also did your code come in the same situation....when you were "revving up' or at all speeds ( immediately after startup ) I am a bit ignorant about all this . So a little bit of clarification helps everyone.

Sent from my JY-S3 using Tapatalk
Old 24th September 2015

Join Date: Aug 2015                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieger007 View Post
Hi thanks for response. Which compressor vacuum hose are we talking about (location ). Also did your code come in the same situation....when you were "revving up' or at all speeds ( immediately after startup ) I am a bit ignorant about all this . So a little bit of clarification helps everyone.

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBTyqrzXT8E

This happened a while ago. I remember the CEL came on randomly when I was on the highway and I was told to inspect the 3 vacuum hoses on the BPC. One of them was very obviously frayed. I noticed for a while my turbo didn't feel as strong as it used to be, but that's about it, nothing too drastic
Old 24th September 2015

I think I got this completely confused. Between dump valve and BPV. apparently they are the same thing. Video showed him check the electrical connection near the turbo hose but he wasn't messing with the dump valve which made it a bit more confusing. I have new silicon hoses for everything on "top" and approachable - dump valve , injectors etc. I guess I left out the ones below near Wastegate but my coolant holds ok.
What I did recently ( initially,omitted after turbocharger was changed ) was ECU reset. I somehow missed that step and did it after my long drive. So far at 80 miles I don't get CEL.
Not sure if this holds when driving at faster speeds. I will have to wait and watch. And after the new turbo I kind of feel slightly high on the idle the car for a bit gritty and louder as compared to is soft swish it made @ the time it ran well on the old one.

Last edited by sieger007; 4th October 2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 5th October 2015

Default STILL STUCK in P1549 HELL . Can someone help

I reset the ECU as mentioned above . Today after maybe a tankful of driving the damn code came back on again.
Why is this happening. Where do we go from here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement