ugh! bad SAAB month - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st October 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: None now
Garage
Thumbs down ugh! bad SAAB month

Well... this has been "black september" for me.

First my flexpipe splits in two, now my swaybar braket snaped off (the fatigue killed the two bolts holding it). I guess I really can't complain too much... it's a 12 year old car with 174K on the clock that has also lived in New York, Mass, and CT with the winter salt and sand. I might be looking for an 02 9-3SE sooner than I thought though.
Advertisement

Old 1st October 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

No... a... gasp... ... gee... emm... SAAB!

My driver's been incapacitated with oil lamp issues most of this month but turns out it's just the damn switch.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1st October 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t
No... a... gasp... ... gee... emm... SAAB!
Yeah, I know ......... but a nice 9000 with low miles is next to impossible to find these days, add to that my refusal to buy a car with an autobox while living in the US makes this next to impossible. A 9-5 Aero would be sweet but a 5-speed wagon is rare and the sedan doesn't suit my lifestyle.

Besides, after what an awful car the NG was, I figure that even GM would have learned from their mistakes and made the 9-3 right.
Old 1st October 2006
Saabista

I can spend several years rounding off the names of cars that were worse methods of transporting oneself than the 1994 thru 1998 Saab 900
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 1st October 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: I don't own any saabs. YET!

Now that the 92x is gone, we move on to the NG900 as the subject of ridicule? I'd take one over a C900 or a 9000 anyday, but I apparently like rubbish cars anyways, so I guess I don't count.
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.”
Old 1st October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero 5-spd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbowski1980
Besides, after what an awful car the NG was, I figure that even GM would have learned from their mistakes and made the 9-3 right.

Sheesh! I second the sentiments by Husky. There's nothing terrible or even remotely "bad" about the ng900, its a fantastic car.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

Don't get so touchy guys!

My biggest complaint with the NG has always been the handling. I was shocked that my cousins V6 couldn't keep with my 87 Accord through the corners, and years later when I drove his Turbo I noticed that the body roll was still there. Sure you could upgrade the suspention for a few grand.... but with a car like that, why should you have to?

I like how the NG looks (the turbo and talladega especially) but it was the car which really made me wonder what the hell it was that people saw in SAABs before I bought a SAAB myself. There are much worse cars than the NG, however it is my least favorite SAAB without including both of the "X" imposters.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

Which brings me to another question here:

Who here has owned both, an NG and a 9-3? I have yet to drive a 9-3 and was wondering if it's actually better. I won't be looking for a Viggen... most likely an end of production run, off lease SE 5-speed/5 door.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: '09 WRX

i can't answer that as i've havne't owned either, but i like the 9-3's return to the c900 design. that was the only issue i had with the NG900, that it didn't bear any resemblance to its predecessor, and i adore the c900 more than any other saab. i do love the viggen tho, behind the wheel of that beast i'll be willing to change my mind
Old 1st October 2006
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixahaha
i can't answer that as i've havne't owned either, but i like the 9-3's return to the c900 design. that was the only issue i had with the NG900, that it didn't bear any resemblance to its predecessor, and i adore the c900 more than any other saab. i do love the viggen tho, behind the wheel of that beast i'll be willing to change my mind
Uh the only visual cue different from the NG 900 and 9-3 is the 9-3 has more chrome on the grille We must be talking about different cars here

Husky - the NG 900 was the subject of a LOT of ridicule and disdain when it first hit the streets in the fall of 1993.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: '09 WRX

Quote:
Uh the only visual cue different from the NG 900 and 9-3 is the 9-3 has more chrome on the grille We must be talking about different cars here

Husky - the NG 900 was the subject of a LOT of ridicule and disdain when it first hit the streets in the fall of 1993.
sorry didn't clarify - i was referring to the post-2003 9-3.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
13 years later...? I like it, It's my second favorite Yaab, next to the Sonnet II.
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.”
Old 1st October 2006

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1998 saab 9-3 2.0 ex-lpt

I've got a '98 9-3 and i think it's got the 3rd best rear end in the world.

1) Kylie minogue

2) C900

3) 9-3 (pre 2003)

have i gone off the thread topic - sorry
Old 1st October 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete with a 9-3
have i gone off the thread topic - sorry
Haha, It's all good man. How about some input on how your 9-3 handles?

Husky, you are in luck! There are a ton of good second hand NGs on the market. Me, not so much since there are a lot less good 9000s.

Everytime I drive an NG I wonder about the car that could have been instead of the car that is..... They really don't handle as well as they look.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Haha, It's all good man. How about some input on how your 9-3 handles?

Husky, you are in luck! There are a ton of good second hand NGs on the market. Me, not so much since there are a lot less good 9000s.

Everytime I drive an NG I wonder about the car that could have been instead of the car that is..... They really don't handle as well as they look.
Ehhh... I like the 9000, I jsut don't think I want one, ya know? I'd love a GM900. And I don't even really like GM. I'm more of a Ford man, as far as "Domestics" go.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky
Ehhh... I like the 9000, I jsut don't think I want one, ya know? I'd love a GM900. And I don't even really like GM. I'm more of a Ford man, as far as "Domestics" go.
Given the choice, I would rather have a GM than a Ford product. The GM vehicles that my family had owned in the past held up much better than the Fords. It was a Ford Taurus which made my parents switch to Toyota.

Now it's all Toyotas and Subarus with my SAAB being the only non-Japanese exception.

Last edited by valbowski1980; 1st October 2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Given the choice, I would rather have a GM than a Ford product. The GM vehicles that my family had owned in the past held up much better than the Fords. It was a Ford Taurus which made my parents switch to Toyota.

Now it's all Toyotas and Subarus with my SAAB being the only non-Japanese exception.
My last vehicle, before I got into Grand Prixs... Was a 1982 Ford F150. 775,xxx on the clock when we sold it.
Old 1st October 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky
My last vehicle, before I got into Grand Prixs... Was a 1982 Ford F150. 775,xxx on the clock when we sold it.
My cousin had a 1982 F250, gotta give Ford credit.... they know how to build a truck right, their cars are not quite as well build though.
Old 2nd October 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
My cousin had a 1982 F250, gotta give Ford credit.... they know how to build a truck right, their cars are not quite as well build though.
Oi. I'll own a Ford Truck over anything else on the road, provided I don't have to pay for the gas.

As far as Cars go, I'll take GM for the RWD(LS Series) and just about anything pushrod, whereas I'm going with Ford for my OHC needs.
Old 2nd October 2006
Saabista

Meh I think Saab makes a better overhead cam engine than Ford does (man I hate those oil burner 4.6's)

Sonett II? Ah yes the good old stroker... brumbambambingdingringringdingdingdingBWAAAAAdingg gdinngggdadinggbwaAAAAdingdingdid ing

850cc of raw 3 cylinder power!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement