temp gauge needle should be where?? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th March 2003

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
Default temp gauge needle should be where??

Hello people Always wanted a saab 9000 turbo and finally found the right one.Well now i have one question/concern. My temperature needle stays a little to close to the red zone for comfort. When i test drove the car i waited for the fan to come on and it did(didnt want to blow up the guys car) at about a quarter on the gauge. Then while my extended drive the needle crept up to near red. I pulled over and the hoses didnt feel hot and the guy said it was normal. My question is where are the needle in your cars? The car is a 89 9000CD turbo w/auto and 95k from original owner.I do most of the work on my cars myself, i just dont want to start changing switches and thermostats if not necessary. Any and all help/advice will be greatly appreciated. Once i get the answer to this i register the car!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th March 2003

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                

My 9000 does the same thing, so I asked a SAAB tech about it. He said that it is normal and that SAAB engines do run hot. As long as the the fan comes on when the needle gets close to the red you should be fine.

When my thermostat whent out I replaced it with a lower temp. and it runs a bit cooler now but it still gets hot. I wouldent mess with the thermostat unless you have to.
Old 28th March 2003

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                

My 9000 (non-turbo) runs pretty warm too. The needle tends to stay around 1/3 when driving along generally but can climb up to 3/4 when sitting in traffic on a hot day.
Old 28th March 2003

thanks guys i feel alot better, but one thing i want to mention. On this site or another saab site, there was a recall of sorts but for 90 9000's. And it had to do with this exact thing, and they said something about rigging it so the a/c fan comes on with the regular fan so the needle stays lower, but its still in the operating temperature. It was a saab memo so they really didn't say rig , but you know what i mean(jump). My audi 5000 turbo had the same thing with the temp gauge , till it blew the head gasket. I'd hate to do that to this car Thanks again.
Old 2nd April 2003

Yeah, I have a 9000CD turbo 1989, same prob, first thing I did not knowing that this is preety normal I replaced the thermostat(which is very easy) but the needle still gets close to Hot, the car does not overheat, and when I start driving it goes down to half.
Old 2nd April 2003

Thanks saabadict. Since you said the thermostat was an easy job I'll probably replace it with maybe a cooler one, just to be safe.and flush the antifreeze. Car still not registered trying to sell my bros 92 vw jetta. Anyone interested???? I'm giving him my mazda protege, its got a stick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement