Door Seal Grease - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: SAAB-less
Default Door Seal Grease

spacedkadet recommended part number 90512280 which I just picked up from my dealer's parts department. It took them about 10 days to order the stuff.

I won't be able to try it until the next time I wash my car. Some of the warnings on it make me wonder whether I'll need a hazmat suit to apply it to the door seals . . . I like the idea of it being a solid paste rather than the spray lube I've been using that seems to evaporate/wear off after a few weeks. This might have more staying power.

Here's a picture with the English instructions/warnings:

It was like $16. I'll post the results once I get to try it.

PS: My new Sony Ericsson k790a's 3.2MP camera takes great shots for a phone - the macro is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th September 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

This is grease for rubber door seals, right?

It's probably just silicone grease, which you can buy in the plumbing dept. of your hardware store (sometimes called O-ring grease). This is typically the only grease you want to apply to rubber, as petroleum-based grease will cause rubber to swell.
Old 19th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

I have no idea what it is but it was recommended for just this use - apparently it's also used to lubricate the OG900 convertible soft tops in some way. I wish I'd known it was (probably) the same thing as something available at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Old 19th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3SE Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22
PS: My new Sony Ericsson k790a's 3.2MP camera takes great shots for a phone - the macro is great.
White balancing does not seem to be working too well.

I've used silicon grease which work well. If your product is clear and has no smell, then it's most likely silicon grease. They are hard to find in hardware or auto parts stores. They are used extensively in electronics and in food production equipment.
Old 19th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotate
White balancing does not seem to be working too well.
I had it under a crappy flourescent light and that seemed to throw it off. I have another picture the white balance is near perfect.
Old 19th September 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotate
I've used silicon grease which work well. If your product is clear and has no smell, then it's most likely silicon grease. They are hard to find in hardware stores.
Both ACE and TrueValue sell silicone grease repackaged under the "house" brand. Look in the plumbing dept. It's sold in a blister pack, so you won't find it with the other plumbing chemicals like flux and PVC glue. I'm pretty sure one of the chains calls it "O-ring grease."
Old 19th September 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 2.0T SC

Make sure you rub the grease in well and clean off any excess.It can be a bit messy if you or passengers get it on clothes.

I think auto stores carry it as door seal lubricant.
Old 19th September 2006

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3

This stuff is great. I have bought a version called sil-glyde from Napa before for use in a 2003 996 C4 cab. my father owns. Porsche says to use this stuff on all of the seals of the soft and hard tops to prevent creaking and aid in sealing. It works great on Saabs too. The napa stuff is the same as the GM part as well as the one Honda and BMW sell. It my understanding that it is a lot better than the runof the mill silicone grease as it is impervious to temperature extremes therefore it wont lose its solid properties and drip or run. I bet you will be pleased with the results on the door seals....
Old 19th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt's06
This stuff is great. I have bought a version called sil-glyde from Napa before for use in a 2003 996 C4 cab. my father owns. Porsche says to use this stuff on all of the seals of the soft and hard tops to prevent creaking and aid in sealing. It works great on Saabs too. The napa stuff is the same as the GM part as well as the one Honda and BMW sell. It my understanding that it is a lot better than the runof the mill silicone grease as it is impervious to temperature extremes therefore it wont lose its solid properties and drip or run. I bet you will be pleased with the results on the door seals....
Wow, that's really great news - I'll be picking up some latex gloves from CVS before using it to avoid any unnecessary skin exposure. I'd really have to screw up to get it in my eyes. I offered it to a co-worker as toothpaste today when I was taking pics but he was having none of it.

Better picture because, well, I can and imageshack is FREE:

Last edited by johnc_22; 19th September 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 23rd September 2006
Saab Lunatic

I finally had a chance to wash my car this morning and once everything was nice and dry I put the grease on my door seals. So far so good with the car very quiet even over some of the washboard pavement in mid-town Atlanta. This in and of itself is no revelation since the silicon spray in a can did the same thing, but this stuff is a thick brown paste that really leaves the impression that an application should last a while. The spray lube tended to evaporate very quickly and its effects were gone after a few weeks.. We'll see how it lasts.

It's a good thing this stuff has skin and eye warnings all over it since it is odorless and you'd never know it was toxic if you ran across it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement