What do you guys think of the 1993 Aero? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th September 2006

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
Default What do you guys think of the 1993 Aero?

Ok guys, im new to the boards, and thinking of purchasing a 1993 9000 Aero.

Great exterior and interior cond. I go to test drive it tomorrow.

Automatic, which i was a little displeased about, but this WILL become my main car, so i can park the 944 i own too!

Basically why im here is for guidance. I have NO one around me that own or knows anything about Saabs. I hear three things over and over again.

1. "High repair costs, and nothing but problems." Being very mechanically inclined, and after doing all the work on this Porsche, NOTHING can be as problematic...=P But as with any car, you get some unhappy owners.

2. "Theyre good cars" This i believe, but with how much they depreciate after purchase....it suprises me.

3. "Great in the snow" Really? I have always steered away from FWD Front Engine cars in the snow.....weight balance is one of the biggest problems in snow driving, and im do some autocross on the side....but, in the 944 which is RWD. The 9000 has trac. control, which is nice. But what does that mean?

Ok so basically what im asking is, what are all the little common and quirky things that go wrong with these cars? No one can predict major problems....things just happen, and youre drving definitly reflects on the size of your repair wallet. (or the amount of beers you need for the job...)

Im looking for a good, dependable, all year daily driver. The guy is aking $1,800 USD. Worth it?

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togglehead
Ok guys, im new to the boards, and thinking of purchasing a 1993 9000 Aero.
I have a 1993 Aero, manual and without TCS.

As for the year, this is the ******* year, everything from 1994 onwards, the transition to Trionic 5 engine management and parts compatibility was sorted. The 1993 Aero was the first year of Trionic. You might be lucky, they changed model year in around November I think it is so depending on exactly when it was made in 1993 it could be a 1994.

As for little things that go wrong:-

Washer bottle leaks at the mounts or the Y piece fails on the tubing
There'll likely be a break in the seat heater element (easy fix)
Suspension Bushes will likely be tired

As for the bigger things:-
The auto transmission fails at 100,107 miles give or take half a mile
Head gasket at 100,000 miles
Timing chaing at 100,000 miles
Heater matrix at 100,000 miles

Get the picture?

Now that i've changed my head gasket, changed the timing chain, all the pulleys, bushes, sorted the seat heater element, done the heater element, starter motor and alternator (plus a few other bits and bobs) i'm happy.

I don't have a problem doing this after the car has done that sort of mileage, it'll carry on for another 100k miles now hopefully.

As for expense, if you do the work yourself, I don't think you'll find it expensive at all. A head gasket set is around 60 UKP and the timing kit for a 1993 is about 230 UKP if you do the balance shaft chain too or you could do the same as some of us and just leave it off, it doesn't affect the smoothness in my opinion.

David.
Old 7th September 2006

All if the typical services have been "done" on this car.

And what was that word you said? the forums bleeped it! =P

How can i tell when it was made? Something in the VIN?

Is there a good service manual i should look into?

Last edited by Togglehead; 7th September 2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 7th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: MY98 9000 CSE B234R

Ah well, I don't feel so bad having the HG fail at 113,000. Autobox is still threatening to go on vacation, but I'll cross that bridge once I come to it.

The main expense in the 9000 is the autobox. I was quote prices from 500 - 3,900 for repair work to the autobox (3,900 was for supply only of a new box from ZF).

As for the snow. Think of it this way, these cars are made in Sweden where they know what snow is. They are the most capable snow cars that I have driven.

Watch the bodywork, I know the car is now 13 years old, and most competitors have already gone to the great junkyard in the sky from the rust, but they are still susceptible. If you can, deal with the issues preventatively and you'll be fine

They are great cars, and worth the hassle that they sometimes cause.

Kenneth
Old 7th September 2006

Thats what im hearing. Its not really cost of hassle im worried about as much as the frequency of it.

Im driving it today.....ill see what i can find!
Old 7th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: MY98 9000 CSE B234R

Remember that it is a 13 year old car. There will be some annoying niggles that you just can't trace...

In terms of frequency of repair, if the service work is done correctly then you should be no worse than any other car. One thing to point out, these cars are capable of so much more than other cars, and can last if properly serviced.

Help the planet by keeping another car from causing pollution through the scrapping process (and another car being built in it's place).

Kenneth
Old 8th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: sorted 9K Aero 1993, 9000R, 454 GMC

I bought my 1993 Aero in 1995, it now has 88k miles and it keeps getting better and better, by far the best all-around car for me in that it is good at everything.

In USA I have driven Saabs in the snow, spend some $ on a set of steel wheels and 4 good snow tires and you will be most happy with the winter driving ability.
Old 8th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togglehead
All if the typical services have been "done" on this car.

And what was that word you said? the forums bleeped it! =P

How can i tell when it was made? Something in the VIN?

Is there a good service manual i should look into?
I said it was the B astard year. I take exception to that being deleted to be honest as there are more legit definitions of the word than slang uses and given that its etymology has origin of around 1200 I think it's a bit wrong to kill such an old word!

Yes the VIN will reveal the actual model year if you plug it into the VIN decoder at www.saab9000.com (ooops I said, www.saab9000.com)

For service manual, the Haynes manual is ok for general stuff.

David.
Old 8th September 2006

thanks guys....although i decided to pass up the car....

wasnt in nearly as good shape as the guy said it was.

Tranny fluid was dark brown....and so was the oil.....didnt look very clean.

Rust spots all over...what a shame.
Old 12th September 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: Gone: 1994 Saab 9000 CSE 2.3T

as far as the snow goes its great in pulling through it.....ive got a 94 9000 CSE 2.3T, anyway with a goodyear triple tred assurance tires ive honest to god have rallied around my house in a foot of snow......it take a bit of skill and you can poinit it straight up the hill like in my dad 4wd hemi ram but it still can so through a foot or Two of snow no problem with the right driver
Old 13th September 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnv727
still can so through a foot or Two of snow no problem with the right driver
two feet of snow? No way.

Simply because the car would be snowploughing and building up such a pile of snow in front that with a normal differential, there's absolutely no way that you'd get enough traction, even with an LSD you wouldn't do it, it's not a snow plough. You know how deep two really feet is?

I'd seriously doubt a foot of snow for the very same reason, the car is going to be pushing snow. With chains maybe.

This last winter in the small amount of snow that we had, I found my Aero pretty crap in the snow, probably due to the wider tyres and willingness to put down too much torque. The Volvo was much better but i'm not putting that down to the car type, there are far more factors than "It's a Saab/Volvo, it'll be great in the snow"

David.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement