`97 9000 csi steering noise/wandering - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st July 2006

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1996 saab 900s very, 18",unique bodykit
Thumbs up `97 9000 csi steering noise/wandering

I have just bought a 1997 9000 csi and i am currently putting it through its MOT to get it back on the road (been sitting for 4-6 months).
Just replaced the flexi pipe section of exhaust and now im worried about a `clunking` noise that can be heard when engine is off steering wheel is moved from side to side. I have noticed wandering whilst driving and that the passenger side front tyre is starting to wear on the inside of the tread pattern.
I have been checking my pc saab workshop manual and i think its either down to the countershaft or the power steering rack is gone.
I also checked ball joints and track rod ends, all ok.

I`m i right??? How do i fix the problem??? I have checked on how to remove steering column, thinking that is to blame and it looks ALOT of work eg entire dash out!!!

Any ideas welcome

also i have a 92` 9000 csi would any of the parts on this fit if needed to my `97 9000 csi????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st August 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: '00 9-5 2.3t estate

Try working through this lot if you can:

http://townsendimports.com/Web/suspe...mnandnoise.htm

If your steering wheel position is adjustable, that mechanism is a good place to start.
Old 1st August 2006

Thanks for that, i will try all of that today. The noise seems to be coming from the steering column/rack area. reading the info that was on the link provided, i am starting to think it may be an inner track rod on the passenger side steering rack????
Anyway i`m away to get dirty and get a sore back!!!!

Any more thoughts very welcome
Old 1st August 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: '92 9000CS 2L LPT, '96 9000 Aero :)

Just a thought, but if the car has been sitting for 4 or 5 months, it might be worth taking it out for a good workout somewhere like an empty carpark. I left my old 9000lpt in the drive for just 3 months, and it felt terrible to drive for the first couple of hours. The tyres were lumpy, brake discs rusty, steering stiff etc. Settled down nicely though after a little bit of TLC
Old 1st August 2006

Smile

think ive sorted it, i looked at the two knuckes on the steering column, inside the car , at the pedals, i noticed that the noise was coming from the bottom knuckle area, so i took it off, found it was ok, put back on. But when i was putting it back on i thought that it may have just need the bolt tightening more thinking it was not tight enough and it seems to have cured the noise, wait until i get her mot`d tomorrow 12noon, got a exhaust manifold to downpipe gasket to do to her in the morning!! Hope she passes, I`m worried about the brake test, i have been drive the car round the block with my left foot on the brake pedal and my right on the throttle!!! Also car idling seems to go up and down sometimes and sometimes takes a while to return to idle, is this a vacumn problem, air flow meter???

didn`t know the air flow meter had water pumped through it!!!!!! been at it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement