Questions You think are too stupid to ask - Page 5 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st August 2006

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.0T Arc

Here are a few stupid questions:

1. I know what the SID is, what does it stand for though?

2. Does anyone have the reverse assist parking sensors? If so, what package did it come with/is it useful at all?

3. Can someone explain the key FOB to me? I know it breaks apart, what is the functionality of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st August 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheney

2. Does anyone have the reverse assist parking sensors? If so, what package did it come with/is it useful at all?

3. Can someone explain the key FOB to me? I know it breaks apart, what is the functionality of this?
1 - not sure what SID stands for

2- i have the reverse assits sensors on my car.. could of been an option on the other model 93's i believe.. I have a vector. I love it!! but it goes crazy when I'm reversing in the rain

3- not sure what the FOB stands for, but it does come apart. I have had to take mine apart many times becuase the connection get's loose and wont un-lock my car, when this happens there is an actual key, you take it out and use it to unlock the door.. you then need to stick it back in and stick it in the centerconsole ignition to turn the alarm off.. then reset it once in the car..
Old 1st August 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³ Arc

SID = Seriously Interesting Display

or

Saab Information Display
Old 1st August 2006

Join Date: Apr 2002                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 JBM Aero

SID = Saab Information Display

Rear Park Assist - in Canada is included with the 2.0T Premium Package, and with the Aero is part of the Touring Package.

I haven't got my keys yet so not sure about the FOB coming apart. I know for the Jetta, and the Dodge i have now it is so the battery can be replaced.

Last edited by ReverseRewind; 1st August 2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 1st August 2006
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo
SID = Seriously Interesting Display

or

Saab Information Display
HAHAHA i like the first one!
Old 1st August 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero

I've got a few -

1. Can you take a European spec ECU and install it into an American version of the same MY car and spec? Not sure if ECU is the right term but I mean the brains - is it possible?

2. Anyone have a good understanding of the new V6 motor - on the 2.0T you could see the hole in the airbox from the front of the car - I cannot see any hole in the airbox on the V6 - where does the air come from? Underneath - anyone provide detail or provide a link to how the V6 handles airflow/delivery. How is a ram air system different - does providing more pressure of air to the turbo do anything - positive or negative - I know I should probably Google this stuff but -

3. Are rims designed specifically for looks or do they impact aerodynamics and performance - like a 10 spoke vs. a 5 spoke

4. There is a huge difference in the brake setup on the 06 vs. previous year Aeros - I understand the bigger motor/ more weight part but the discrepency between the rear rotor/caliper on a 05 compared to a 06 is ridiculous - the 06 has this little baby caliper and a rather small rotor/disc on the back and this monster caliper/rotor/disc setup in the front whereas the 05 seemed much more balanced front to back (maybe slightly bigger disc in the front but the calipers were the same) - is this a change for Saab - whats the deal?

Thanks!!
Old 1st August 2006
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTMAR
I've got a few -

1. Can you take a European spec ECU and install it into an American version of the same MY car and spec? Not sure if ECU is the right term but I mean the brains - is it possible?

2. Anyone have a good understanding of the new V6 motor - on the 2.0T you could see the hole in the airbox from the front of the car - I cannot see any hole in the airbox on the V6 - where does the air come from? Underneath - anyone provide detail or provide a link to how the V6 handles airflow/delivery. How is a ram air system different - does providing more pressure of air to the turbo do anything - positive or negative - I know I should probably Google this stuff but -

3. Are rims designed specifically for looks or do they impact aerodynamics and performance - like a 10 spoke vs. a 5 spoke

4. There is a huge difference in the brake setup on the 06 vs. previous year Aeros - I understand the bigger motor/ more weight part but the discrepency between the rear rotor/caliper on a 05 compared to a 06 is ridiculous - the 06 has this little baby caliper and a rather small rotor/disc on the back and this monster caliper/rotor/disc setup in the front whereas the 05 seemed much more balanced front to back (maybe slightly bigger disc in the front but the calipers were the same) - is this a change for Saab - whats the deal?

Thanks!!
I only know your 4th question.. but only a little. Wheels do make a difference, not the spokes though ( atleast not that I know of)..the weight and width make a big difference performance wise..
Old 1st August 2006
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by common gnd
there should be a small button on the dash that you press to reset the number on the dash. i just read the manual and did this last night.
hey so i was driving home and i was looking around and I found it!!! I'm a total idiot. i have had the car for three months and never saw that black little button.. it's hidden..lol. Thanks!
Old 1st August 2006
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheney

1. I could've sworn it was Saab Infotainment Display, but I've been wrong before. Information, infotainment, same thing.

2. I think this option may vary between years and between markets, so what may be correct for US market may be different for your market. Usefullness? Maybe in an SUV or in areas with tight parking places. I don't have them nor would I need them here in Kansas.

3. The key on the inside will unlock the driver's door so you can get in if your battery is dead.

Last edited by Diggs; 1st August 2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 1st August 2006
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTMAR
I've got a few -

Thanks!!

1. I don't see why not.

2. Can't answer that.

3. Rim width, size, weight will all have an effect on performance. A larger rim would impact ride height and so aerodynamics. It would also reduce performance as it is more difficult for the engine to rotate. A wider rim and tire would impact wind resistance (marginally probably), but increase surface area allowing more traction (in dry conditions of course). Increased rim weight would reduce performance as well. I can't see the rim type (5 spoke, 10 spoke, etc..)having any effect on performance or aerodynamics.

4. I think you answered your own question.
Old 2nd August 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9³SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweet2.0
hey so i was driving home and i was looking around and I found it!!! I'm a total idiot. i have had the car for three months and never saw that black little button.. it's hidden..lol. Thanks!
Hahha i am glad you found it! and hey thats what this forum is for!!!

i love these questions... quien tiene mas?
Harmon Kardon Speakers
Infotainment System
Old 2nd August 2006

Oh ok.. so the integrated phone...

Anyone have that installed and linked to their current cell #? I dont know if the '03 vector has bluetooth or not? Anyone who has this done, how is the ease of using the phone and how much does it cost? Thanks
Harmon Kardon Speakers
Infotainment System
Old 2nd August 2006
Saab Lunatic

In European streets, where parking is quite often a bumber to bumper experience, the parking assistance is very helpful. In fact it would have been to have that in the front as well. Lots of cars have that.
Old 2nd August 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 & JR Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabertooth
ok here goes

Sometimes when I get into my car and sit, there is a "beep", like the one when you set the auto-windows or seat memory. It doesnt really bug me (much) but I would just to like to know its function. It does not happen all the time and once, i got in and out the seat 10 times and it beeped at least 4.
I have had this and I have been very careful to avoid the memory seat buttons.... I think I have discovered what this beep is... page 98 of user manual... climate control calibration. Calibrates every 5th start up when the vehicle has been stood idle for longer than 2 hours. May be wrong but it sounds about right for the frequency I hear it.
Old 3rd August 2006

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 93 2.0t

okay for the record i have an 04 93 2.0t vector

i think i can cough up some questions-

1- what the heck is the deal with the rear foglights? i don't use them unless someone is riding my tail (then i press them and they think i'm breaking so they back off) .. as i was typing this.. i thought of a use for them.... when it rains really bad, instead of throwing you emergency lights on.. use the rear fogs?

2- my brake calipers are already silver.. why would anyone paint them? .. aren't everyone elses silver?

3- do we have radiators or intercoolers stock in our cars?

4- what's a down-pipe? .. i know it's something to deal with the exaust and the turbo..

5- has anyone ever just compeltly tore out the SID and rigged up a huge turbo and completly turned their saab into a race car?

6- why aren't there more performance/asthenic upgrades for our cars?

7- would everyone completly shun or kill me if i made my own "angel-eyes" for my headlights? (i know how to do it the right way without the kit)

i'll probably add more.. haha
Old 3rd August 2006
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHill
okay for the record i have an 04 93 2.0t vector

i think i can cough up some questions-

1- what the heck is the deal with the rear foglights? i don't use them unless someone is riding my tail (then i press them and they think i'm breaking so they back off) .. as i was typing this.. i thought of a use for them.... when it rains really bad, instead of throwing you emergency lights on.. use the rear fogs?

2- my brake calipers are already silver.. why would anyone paint them? .. aren't everyone elses silver?

3- do we have radiators or intercoolers stock in our cars?

4- what's a down-pipe? .. i know it's something to deal with the exaust and the turbo..

5- has anyone ever just compeltly tore out the SID and rigged up a huge turbo and completly turned their saab into a race car?

6- why aren't there more performance/asthenic upgrades for our cars?

7- would everyone completly shun or kill me if i made my own "angel-eyes" for my headlights? (i know how to do it the right way without the kit)

i'll probably add more.. haha
1- yes the rear fogs are great when it rains really bad.. and yes when it's foggy out.. sometime where I'm at it gets so foggy at night during the spring and you cant se emore than 10 feet infront of you.. the rear fogs are great for that

2-i believe so.. but i think people paint them to a chrome color so they stand out more.. I'm not sure though

4-down pipe is part of the exhuast.. comes down from the motor and attaches to the catylitic converter then to rest of the exhuast.

7-you might recieve some rude comments from members here.. but if you know how to, i'd go for it. It would def be a nice mod!
Old 3rd August 2006

1-Rear Fogs are more common in Eurpope as weather is 'typically worse' i.e. fog. or as they claim, they are just more prepared. Its just a precaution as you seem to realize

2-Never seen a Infinity G-35 or Porsche 911 Brembo Brake (painted red?) Sweeettt! That is motivated me to paint the calipers on my last car. This car however I love stock, im not gonna touch a thing on the exterior! But brake painting is just another way of customizing

3- Stock vector - intercooled

4 - 1sweet2.0 said it best down (look above)

5 - No and shame on you if you do..

6 - Saab is not as commonly owned and driving by us young folks. More of a 40 and up car and being that the aftermarket performance parts market is driven by ages 16 - 30 saab just doesnt have the volume to have as many as say BMW, Audi, Honda.

7 - Angel Eyes are tight! however on a saab? i think i would have to see it first.. but defintely go for it!! POST PICTURES TOO
Harmon Kardon Speakers
Infotainment System
Old 3rd August 2006
Saab Lunatic

What is "Angel Eyes"?
Old 3rd August 2006
SaabNut!

here's a pic...

http://perso.orange.fr/asauto/kit%20angel%20eyes.jpg
Old 3rd August 2006

BUILT IN SAAB PHONE!?!
does anyone have it / use it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo
What is "Angel Eyes"?
this is why i love this thread - innocent questions answered with no hard feelings
Harmon Kardon Speakers
Infotainment System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement