Questions You think are too stupid to ask (9-3SS) - Page 157 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th August 2012

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3

on a side note, ive had my saab for about 2-3 weeks now... and am loving it.

i have a 2.0t, and went 20km/h to 80 km/h in less than 2 seconds using the turbo for the first time a few days ago...

comfortable, classy looking ride with sufficient power!

anyone have any experience with the turbo? i am a noob, and am afraid to push it too often cause i dont wanna damage it...

stereo system kinda sucks though haha. i turn up the music a little bit and sounds are piercing to my ears. i have to lower the bass and the treble manually, lol.

anyone have experience in the winters? do i need winter tires? i live in toronto, ontario canada... see a fair bit of snow throughout the winter.

thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th August 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Nocturne Blue 9-3ss Linear
Garage

I'm in Toronto too.

Welcome aboard!!!!

One thing you will notice is that in the winter, you start the car, and no heat comes out of the vents for a while, no matter what you do (Auto climate control, not sure if it's the same with manual climate control cars). Basically the car is smart enough to know that it'll be blasting cold air into you, so it waits until the engine has warmed up enough to make the air warmer when going through the vents, then it will start blowing air.

Don't just let the car sit there to warm up. Wait until the RPM's drop below 1000 and off you go, the car will be warmed up enough within 3 km or so.

Every person who drives in the winter should get winter tires for their car, it's just safer.
Old 17th August 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 black 9-3 lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzlesauce View Post
lol awesome post. good candidate for answer to an FAQ, lolol. i was thoroughly entertained, thanks for the explanation.

i dont even have the number keys in my car like some of the 04 saab 9-3s that i have seen...
There are two types of radios the standard one (without keypad or screen) and the other (with both) yet all saabs have the phone buttons on the steering wheel SMH, from my understanding of the very easy to read well written user manual it was an option avalible on al trims so that's why they are there.

Last edited by MA2; 17th August 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 17th August 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 black 9-3 lin

Quote:
i have a 2.0t, and went 20km/h to 80 km/h in less than 2 seconds using the turbo for the first time a few days ago...

comfortable, classy looking ride with sufficient power!

anyone have any experience with the turbo? i am a noob, and am afraid to push it too often cause i dont wanna damage it...
I'm not sure if going from 20kmh to 80kmh in 2 sec is fast or not but i'm going to guess it is. If so then your answer is yes, unlike a super charged car that has all the power right away, a turbo charged car has to build the pressure up before you feel the difference but when you do it's like hitting V-tec ha ha ha j/k, no really when boost is built up you should feel it and your car will go like a stuck pig (sorry i'm from texas). you don't have to worry about pushing it to much as these cars are designed with turbo's in mind as long as your not shifting gear to late (manual tranny), and remember to change your oil every 5k miles or so (with synthedic) we do it every 3k miles. you should be fine.
Old 17th August 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Nocturne Blue 9-3ss Linear
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2 View Post
I'm not sure if going from 20kmh to 80kmh in 2 sec is fast or not but i'm going to guess it is.
Basically it's 12 mph to 50 mph
Old 18th August 2012

My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Black 2.0T

Another tire related question. I have Kelly Charger GT's in the front, the tire and website say to keep them at 51psi, which is fine but my rears would only be at 36psi. Is that OK/safe?

** edit, rear tires are not the same brand, both sets were put on by the dealer I bought the car from...

Last edited by Wis9-3; 18th August 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 18th August 2012

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Hello All! I am very new to this forum and just bought my first Saab yesterday afternoon (2008 9-3 2.0T in whatever they call that very light greenish silver). It has steering wheel mounted bluetooth phone controls but I know the system is not installed on the car so the buttons don't do anything. Is there any way to run a bluetooth system through the steering wheel? I'm guessing this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it. Thanks!
Old 19th August 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
Location: Gordon's Bay, Republic of the Western Cape, South Africa
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8 V6 TS AT

I still cannot get to the f-ing centre dome light in my convertible to replace it with an LED.

I can pull down the dome and have replaced the two side lights, but there is no way to get to the centre one

Anyone got any pointers?
Old 20th August 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero VTuner Stage 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis9-3 View Post
Another tire related question. I have Kelly Charger GT's in the front, the tire and website say to keep them at 51psi, which is fine but my rears would only be at 36psi. Is that OK/safe?

** edit, rear tires are not the same brand, both sets were put on by the dealer I bought the car from...
The is the maximum tire pressure for the tire. Consult the owners manual for the proper inflation for the car. I keep mine around 35psi.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Old 20th August 2012

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Aero TTid SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTodd View Post
The is the maximum tire pressure for the tire. Consult the owners manual for the proper inflation for the car. I keep mine around 35psi.
As IamTodd says -

TYRE SIZE FRONT TYRES REAR TYRES
235/45R17 W 94 2.4 BAR / 35 PSI 2.4 BAR / 35 PSI
225/45R18 W 95 2.4 BAR / 35 PSI 2.4 BAR / 35 PSI
Old 20th August 2012
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgib View Post
As IamTodd says -
TYRE SIZE FRONT TYRES REAR TYRES
235/45R17 W 94 2.4 BAR / 35 PSI 2.4 BAR / 35 PSI
225/45R18 W 95 2.4 BAR / 35 PSI 2.4 BAR / 35 PSI

Yep, 2.4 all round
Old 20th August 2012

My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Black 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTodd View Post
Understood, which is what I had them set at (35psi for all four). The only problem is that there is still a noise, which is no longer a humming as before when the tires were mis-matched but a "whoopping" sound as though the tire is flat, or the balance is off... guess I am taking it to a shop.
Old 20th August 2012

I've got a rattle in my headliner somewhere. (I'm the 2nd owner) - Anyone know how to open it up so I can get rid of whatever is loose in there?

Had a left brake light failure in first week I bought it (from a dealer)... and now about the 3rd/4th week, have a right brake light failure - this isn't a sign of more things to come is it? (coupled with fuel sensor problems... 1st time, needle wouldnt go up after filling up... and now 2nd time, needle wont go all the way up to the top after filling up)

thanks
Old 21st August 2012

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Aero TTid SS

Headliner replacement is a "clean hands operation". Depending on where the rattle is you can get to the rear without total removal, just hard not to crease.
1) Remove rear parcel shelf and C pillar covers
2) Remove B-pillar covers (Start at the floor and work upwards)
3) Remove A-Pillar covers (Screws hidden behind airbag logos)
4) Remove dome lights (screws underneath)
5) If no sunroof - headliner is now free. You need to remove front seat(s) to actually get it out of the car (combi will come out through trunk)

Not uncommon to loose 1 brakelight after the other, just buy decent bulbs..
Old 21st August 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '06 2.0T ARC droptop, '92 900 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naks View Post
Anyone else think that the DTW function displaying 'Refill fuel now' with 30km to go is stupid?

I mean, when you are running out of fuel, you actually want to know how much further you can go, not so?

Don''t believe how many miles to empty it says anyway, because it's based on your previous mpg [last 20 miles of driving, I think] so if your were hiway driving and go thru a city to get gas what said 30km left could be considerably less. I know that it will bug you until you get gas, but is that neccessarily a bad thing?
Old 21st August 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

Running hard tire pressures especially with different front and rear will give you a very unpredictable handling car when steering and braking but worse, add considerable distance to your braking in wet weather. The tires will be subject to wear in the centers too. Run what the factory specifies and I can't imagine why Kelly would say that. Depending on the age of the car it will be on the door or the gas tank door.

Regarding the guy with the turbo, the best thing to do is to search for a vid on how a turbo works. The turbo blades are spinning in the exhaust stream so they are working all of the time, it does not "kick in" at a certain point. What makes it seem that way is that air and any gas/vapor is compressible and it takes a few moments for the (air) on one side and the (exhaust fumes) on the other side to really start working there is turbo lag be it a Saab or a Rolls-Royce jet. The supercharger is belt driven and compresses air the same way but the lag is not as noticeable since it is belt driven but anytime you compress air there is a bit. So basically with our cars you have two sets of blades, one spinning on the intake side that will pressurize the fuel air mix and the other side in the exhaust stream. Then there is the "twin scroll" turbo. In the older cars you had to let the car run and a bit with the "turbo at idle" and cooling down before you shut the car off to prevent "coking" or carbon deposits since the thing is hot as hell. The new cars are not as susceptible with changes in cooling along with the synthetic oils.

Basically, heat or hot air is not the friend of a turbo since cool air has more "stuff"/oxygen, more get to the combustion process quicker. On a hot day your car will never perform as well as on a chilly day and even the IC can't win the battle. Toss in altitude like in Denver and that is another strike.

How you will harm your car is trying to push it hard on low octane fuel. Most of our cars have a knock sensor that will limit power instead of pinging and knocking but it's not a great idea.

Last edited by TunnanXWD; 21st August 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 28th August 2012

how often do i need to get an oil change done?

i think manual/dealership suggested every 5,000km, but a friend was saying that it wasnt necessary. maybe after 7-8?
Old 28th August 2012
SaabNut!

Quote:
how often do i need to get an oil change done?
i think manual/dealership suggested every 5,000km, but a friend was saying that it wasnt necessary. maybe after 7-8?

Every year/15,000km should be good enough.

If you drive it hard, then reduce to every 10,000km.
Old 28th August 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 vector

can someone tell me what this circled part is? its the little spring looking thing near the battery cover. what does it do? cuz mine broke off haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	31157  
Old 28th August 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '06 2.0T ARC droptop, '92 900 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul05 View Post
can someone tell me what this circled part is? its the little spring looking thing near the battery cover. what does it do? cuz mine broke off haha
isn't that the senser that lets the car know the hood [bonnet] is closed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement