EBC squeak nightmare - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
Angry EBC squeak nightmare

I finally got around to installing the rear EBC slotted discs and Greenstuff pads. First 500 miles, not even one sound. But now, for the past 300 miles, they're driving me crazy both when I applying the brakes and moving less than 20mph. Is this going to go away? Also, is there anything I can do or apply until then?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: NO MORE SAAB FOR ME

I had a bit of squeaking with mine around 1500 miles, so I did a set of hard controlled braking to bed in the pads and it has eliminated most of the squeeling. Here's a good break-in link: Stoptech

"The procedure is several stops of increasing severity with a brief cooling period between them. Typically, a series of ten increasingly hard stops from 60mph to 5 mph with normal acceleration in between should get the job done for a high performance street pad. During pad or disc break-in, do not come to a complete stop, so plan where and when you do this procedure with care and concern for yourself and the safety of others. If you come to a complete stop before the break-in process is completed there is the chance for non-uniform pad material transfer or pad imprinting to take place and the results will be what the whole process is trying to avoid."
Old 18th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 Aero ‘Silver Bullet’

Unfortunately that's how they are (had them before), but the braking power is really nice. You could put some anti-squeal paste behind the pad to stop it from vibrating. Also, I concur with MarkJ's advice about break-in. It was always fun to feel my eyes push out from their sockets when hard braking.
Old 18th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht
I finally got around to installing the rear EBC slotted discs and Greenstuff pads. First 500 miles, not even one sound. But now, for the past 300 miles, they're driving me crazy both when I applying the brakes and moving less than 20mph. Is this going to go away? Also, is there anything I can do or apply until then?

Hey Spiel,
Are these the only pads you can use with the EBC slotted discs? I'm interested in them but I know I can't tolerate the squeal noise. Can you use other pads? Also, where did you purchase yours?
Thanks!
Old 18th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero

Aye. Spiel, I wanna ask...do your rotors rust when wet?
Old 19th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

solid, you can use any pads you want with the rotors. I chose the EBC Greenstuff because the Saab OEM are soft and I was really disapointed by their short life (19K). I did same as MarkJ, got the pads from GenuineSaab and the rotors from The Parts Bin. Both excellent service, but I did have to wait on the pads for like 10 days to be in stock.

smurkenstein, only the braking surface where the pads rub rust when wet, but the rest of the rotor doesn't.

I'll try the hard braking this evening, I hope it works. Thanks Mark.
Old 19th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2003                                                

Thanks! Do let us know how it turns out.
Old 20th July 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2004                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht
I chose the EBC Greenstuff because the Saab OEM are soft and I was really disapointed by their short life (19K).
Strange, at 45k miles I still have the factory front pads, plenty of life still in them. I did replace the rears, but they still were well within tolerances.
Old 20th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: NO MORE SAAB FOR ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent
Strange, at 45k miles I still have the factory front pads, plenty of life still in them. I did replace the rears, but they still were well within tolerances.
I believe pad life is related to what type of driving you do. I was able to get 60K out of my original pads but I do a majority of highway travel, thus I'm light on my brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement