Rear Center seat belt stuck in retracted position! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th July 2006

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 98 900 SE
Exclamation Rear Center seat belt stuck in retracted position!

2001 9-5 Wagon

This weekend I folded down all the rear seats to tote some cargo and when I went to fold the seat back up I noticed some tension, the center shoulder belt will not unlock, it is stuck in the stored/retracted position, I have no idea what to do and my dealer wants to charge to even look at it.

Please help as I need that belt working so my 1 year old son can have his car seat in the middle safe position!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th July 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

I think the seat belt reel is a sealed unit, if its jammed inside it may need replacing. All i can suggest is trying a side to side motion at the same time you try to pull it out, also try pulling the buckle up and back instead of down/forward (if that makes sense?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th July 2006

Angry

My search has told me the same, sealed system,

Thanks for your help. . .
Can't belive I have to pay for this, my Hondas had a lifetime seatbelt warranty and this $39K car doesn't!
Old 14th July 2006

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: MY01 9-5 Aero Estate

It sounds like the inertia reel has locked under tension and needs some slack in the belt to free it off - I have a recollection that I had something similar in my wagon some time ago.

Maybe you've tried this already, but if you drop the seat again does it release enough belt tension to free it off?

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 5th September 2006

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Driver
This weekend I folded down all the rear seats to tote some cargo and when I went to fold the seat back up I noticed some tension, the center shoulder belt will not unlock, it is stuck in the stored/retracted position, I have no idea what to do and my dealer wants to charge to even look at it.
Nor_Cal_Driver, were you able to fix this without getting the dealer involved? The same thing just happened to my '03 9-3 Linear and I haven't been able to fix it as of yet.

Or has anyone else discovered a better fix?
Old 11th December 2006

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 2.3LPT

Don't know if this thread's still alive, but the answer's short so here goes...

You'll need to fit yourself in the gap between the floor and the upright seats. You should be able to lift the upright part of the seat enough for it to lock at an angle of about 20 degrees. If not, you'll need someone pulling the rear seat back into the boot (trunk) as much as possible.

There is a seatbelt strap that attaches to the floor under the seat which can be unbolted which then releases tension on the belt unit. Make sure you keep hold of the belt, then once tension has gone, get some slack and attach a safety pin to the upper part of the belt to stop it being pulled back into the unit.

Good luck!
Steve
Old 11th December 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2006                                                

You may have activated the ALR locking feature (used for strapping in child seats). This is usually done by fully extending the belt, it then makes a slight clicking sound as it retracts and does not release and spool out again until it is allowed to fully retract. Have you tried to get the belt to spool in and fully retract? You might check the manual for more details.
Old 11th December 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB
Don't know if this thread's still alive, but the answer's short so here goes...

You'll need to fit yourself in the gap between the floor and the upright seats. You should be able to lift the upright part of the seat enough for it to lock at an angle of about 20 degrees. If not, you'll need someone pulling the rear seat back into the boot (trunk) as much as possible.

There is a seatbelt strap that attaches to the floor under the seat which can be unbolted which then releases tension on the belt unit. Make sure you keep hold of the belt, then once tension has gone, get some slack and attach a safety pin to the upper part of the belt to stop it being pulled back into the unit.

Good luck!
Steve
This would have worked for me I'll bet. I just cut the belt and am now in the process of getting Saab USA to pay for this. $375 my *** to fix this (dealer cost to replace). And the quote they fax me after 5 requests, a hand written piece of garbage, I would expect that from Jimbos Automotive repair, but not my local Saab/Jaguar/Lotus dealer. WEAK! I get treated much better at my Audi dealership. I still love my Saab, just HATE the dealer.
Old 11th January 2007

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                

This has now happened to me twice on my 2000 9-5 Wagon. The first time they fixed it under my "certified pre-owned warranty".

The second time, the dealer (new dealer since we moved) ordered a new part and now they told my wife they have to order another new part. What a joke
Old 12th January 2007

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 2.3LPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDecks
This has now happened to me twice on my 2000 9-5 Wagon. The first time they fixed it under my "certified pre-owned warranty".

The second time, the dealer (new dealer since we moved) ordered a new part and now they told my wife they have to order another new part. What a joke
Have you tried attaching a safety pin to the top of the belt to stop it retracting back into the unit? This is a pre-req for me every time the seats get folded down.

Dealers Every piece of work is a battle to stop them rebuilding half my engine - they must hate me
Old 2nd January 2008

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 SE Wagon
Default Thanks for the tip

I just had my backrest get locked in the down position ('01 95) as well. I lifted up the seat as far as I could get it, extended the middle headrest and rested it against the seat to access and remove the nut holding down the seat belt. Five minutes to correct. I am still looking for something more elegant than a safety pin.
Old 2nd January 2008

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: MY00 9-5 Estate LPT
Default stuck seat belt

I think that the problem is that the combination of a "smallish" plastic thru bolt and the shallow angle of the trim piece on the seat makes for big problems. The belt gets stuck because the thru bolt manages to make its way past the plastic trim piece. Usually, the bottom retaining bolt needs to be undone to rescue the belt. A "taller" thru bolt on the seat belt will solve this. However, this kind of fix may catch the eye of the MOT man.
Old 14th January 2008

I bought a new assembly form eEuroparts for less then $100, oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement