stability control failure - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th July 2006

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3
Default stability control failure

Pretty much the first time I'm going to have to take my 9-3 to the shop for something other than oil changes or rattles.

Any comments about stability control failure - is it common in these models? (2004 9-3 Arc). Appreciate any info before I bring it to the shop. Still under warranty thank God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Aero Sentronic and a few dings.

I've had mine replaced twice so far, just make sure they have the part in stock before you head in, I had to wait 3 weeks for my first one.
Old 9th July 2006
Banned

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2k4 9-3 Arc & 1988 9000s

It flashes that there is a problem with stability control if you just got a BSR PPC, when I first flashed mine the problem appeared from time to time but eventually it stopped flashing and the stability control has worked fine.
Old 9th July 2006

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Arc 6spd

How do you tell if it's working?
When i start the car up I have the stability control symbol in the gauge cluster and it has a line through it. Then once the car starts it goes away (clears). If i press the 'esp' button on the dash it shows back up with the line through. - I dont have any SID warnings/alerts.. should I be worried?
Old 9th July 2006

Oh wait. The problem went away. No more SID failure warning.

Should i still take it in? I figure they'll just send me on my merry way without doing anything if there's no SID warning lighting up.
Old 9th July 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Jet Black CV Aero Nav/6-Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuler72
Oh wait. The problem went away. No more SID failure warning.

Should i still take it in? I figure they'll just send me on my merry way without doing anything if there's no SID warning lighting up.
Take it in, there will still be a history code stored that can be accessed via the Tech.
Old 9th July 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Jet Black CV Aero Nav/6-Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Jets
Take it in, there will still be a history code stored that can be accessed via the Tech.
Oh, and considering it is still under warranty even if they do not "fix" it, at least you will have a service record stating that you had it in for a stability control issue before the end of your warrenty.

It could be something simple, or it could be items such as a bad wheel speed sensor, a pinched wire, a loose connection, a defective EBCM, etc.

Best to have it checked out.
Old 10th July 2006

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated!
Old 10th July 2006
Banned

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2k4 9-3 Arc & 1988 9000s

The button use to always flash with the thing with a slash through it and go away for me. I'm not sure if it still does or not as I don't notice it anymore. It's off when there's the slash thing through it. It will have a problem and will have failed if theres a warning on the SID.
Old 10th July 2006

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 lpt and 9-3 SS Aero

The test sequence with the "car skidding and slash" thingy in dash is normal - it first appears when ignition is turn on and disappears after a few seconds. You should be concerned when the "Traction Control Failure" message appears in SID and you are unable to start the car. That's when you have to engage the dealer for a checkup!!
Old 10th July 2006

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 lpt and 9-3 SS Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR
I've had mine replaced twice so far, just make sure they have the part in stock before you head in, I had to wait 3 weeks for my first one.
Just curious, what was replaced in your case?
Old 10th July 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero

Just keep an eye on it and I would have them check it on your next visit if it doesn't act up anymore. My car is being replaced due to TCS failure and Stability Control Failure - it only happens when the car is parked in direct sunlight for extended periods of time - replaced Yaw sensor - Sim module - Esp module - Underhood electrical center and one more thing I can't remember (speed sensor maybe) but they could never fix it and with a little prodding (actually quite a bit) Saab is going to replace it. The big issue was not only the SID displaying errors but the car would have trouble starting when displaying these errors - sometimes it would start on the second try other times it would take 20 minutes - from reading this forum there are a few of us who had this issue and it was never resolved by Saab service and many others that have had isolated instances of this failure and it was resolved immediately.
Old 10th July 2006

ANTMAR - So Saab is relpacing your car? Excellent, though i'm sure there was no shortage of headache in between. i've really enjoyed mine over the past 2 years - almost no problems. hopefully this won't now curse me.
Old 11th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysSaab
Just curious, what was replaced in your case?
Yaw sensor both times.
Old 11th July 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTMAR
J- it only happens when the car is parked in direct sunlight for extended periods of time -
Humm... I've been experienceing oddities under these conditions, although not as serious still odd ball SID warnings, Flat Tire & On-Star failure, when its not the case. Taking it in tomorrow for a On-Star fix maybe I can get them to look into more than that. (I know the On-Star failure should happen because its busted but they disconnected it and fixed it so the warning wouldn't come up which usually doesn't unless the car is out in the sun).
Old 11th July 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

I have read on here that the flat tire warnings are not unusual, this is the reason this functionality was discontinued post 04.
Old 11th July 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero

Blueler - yep - I am still working on it - seems there was some miscommunication with Saab USa and the dealership - I went there and they tried to do a buy back and sell me a new car - It took a conference call but it is all worked out for now.

Make sure you keep all your records and check them thoroughly before you leave - everything may work out but I found that as the situation escalated (the more times it went in for the same repair) the paperwork started to get a little screwy - dates being wrong and the problem being mis - stated. This is the only evidence you have so make sure it is right.

Get free consultation if you continue to have issues - send Saab a certified letter after the third repair stating the fourth as a last chance - and I found that knowing what my rights were and what the lemon law options are enabled me to know when someone was feeding me some crap. Now - you will never need to do this (I hope) but it is good to know that you will not be stuck if you do continue to have reoccuring issues.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 9th February 2007

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 2003 Linear
Unhappy Stability Control Failure

Just bought a used 2003 9-3 linear and 40 miles out of the dealership, we get the stability control failure error. The car is out of warranty (expired 12/06) and we were planning to get an extended warranty. Apart from being ripped by the dealer who might have sold this vehicle knowing this issue existed, I don't want to take it to the dealer before I purchase an extended warranty...Anyone knows how much it would cost to get whatever components are needed to fix this issue?

After reading many forums with lots of issues regarding the 2003 9-3 model, we went ahead coz we fell in love with this vehicle...We are hard core toyota and honda fans and knew this would be a risky choice. Our dreaded nightmare came true The dealer should have given us a 3000 mile 90 day limited warranty, but refused to do so when he negotiated for $1500 price off his eprice. If anyone could suggest options (is it part of a recall or something, is this something that saab/gm should take care of), it would be realllllllllly helpful....

Lots of mistakes as used car buyers - but the car was too tempting...
Old 9th February 2007

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 03' Vector 9-3

my advice man is demand it be fixed....you picked the car up and 40 miles down the road its giving this message to you....if the guy who sold it to you says he cant do anything, ask for the manager and say you want it fixed since you havent even driven the car 100 miles and its already coming up with problems...
Old 14th February 2007

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 2003 Linear

Called up the Saab dealership that had serviced the vehicle 3 months ago. Seems like I need to get it inspected as it might be a sensor issue according to the service manager. Will post an update later. Need to deal with the used car dealer after I get this issue sorted out. Thanks for ur reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfitch19
my advice man is demand it be fixed....you picked the car up and 40 miles down the road its giving this message to you....if the guy who sold it to you says he cant do anything, ask for the manager and say you want it fixed since you havent even driven the car 100 miles and its already coming up with problems...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement