I totaled my Saab - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th June 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: :RIP: 1990 900 Turbo
Default I totaled my Saab

A few days ago, I was going a little too fast around a turn that was a little too sharp...

I lost control of my car...
it flipped into the woods 1 and 1/2 times...
there is no real reason why I am alive...

*sigh*
Here are the pictures
Car Pictures

Last edited by jetman; 26th June 2006 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's

Ouch, glad your OK, not in that area but i'm sure there's a few that are.After walking away safely i assume you'll be after another 900 ?
Old 26th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

Saabs are very safe, as you have learned. Glad to hear that you are ok.
Old 26th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si
Ouch, glad your OK, not in that area but i'm sure there's a few that are.After walking away safely i assume you'll be after another 900 ?
Maybe,
But I think my bank account is pretty dried up from this mess...
I am only 17 >.>
and this was my first car

I would love to have another
but they arent very common around this area
Old 26th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 87&88S,88T,91TVert, 90 Talladega Red SPG

Awwww Miss.Panda, thats really terrible.

I'd be pretty down as well but don't go doing anything drastic, you're car saved you from yourself once, its not around for this so chin up. I know life my not seem worth living without it, but time heals everything and eventually I'll bet you'll find another at the car store to bring home and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Did it have a name?

Be sure to keep a little piece, a badge or emblem perhaps.

That is soo sad. But chin up, everything will work out just fine, I know because I know everything and that is a scientific fact.
Old 26th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt88S
Awwww Miss.Panda, thats really terrible.

I'd be pretty down as well but don't go doing anything drastic, you're car saved you from yourself once, its not around for this so chin up. I know life my not seem worth living without it, but time heals everything and eventually I'll bet you'll find another at the car store to bring home and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Did it have a name?

Be sure to keep a little piece, a badge or emblem perhaps.

That is soo sad. But chin up, everything will work out just fine, I know because I know everything and that is a scientific fact.
Yeah it had a name...
My sister named it "The Cheat" Because it would make cute little squeaky noises because of the shocks and brakes

sounded exactly like him

*sigh* My poor baby
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 86 900T

get a fixeruper and use the parts from that baby in your new baby.. THEN IT WILL LIVE ON!!!

Glad to hear you are ok!
Old 26th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 87&88S,88T,91TVert, 90 Talladega Red SPG

Perhaps I'm an insensitive brute and its too soon, but I took the time to look up a few "economy" saabs in your area.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=200

Um, I'm not sure if the above one fits your driving style or not but I thought I would toss it in. It looks as if it might need a new top, meh.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=106

Here is a nice sport, might be a good car to learn to drive with, power but not too much power. That turbo will have you spoiled though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...500&cardist=78

Once again I'm not sure if this one fits your driving style but its reasonibly priced and looks nice. Add another $500-$1000 for a new canvas top though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=106

This one looks interesting but once again, driving style.

I don't mean to pick on you or anything, but with verts one thing you do not want to do is roll them. That can make for a really bad hair day.

Hardtops are allright, I've taken many a curve far too fast in a hardtop myself, but in the vert I tend to take it a little easier. They have a good rollbar setup in the verts but still, I wouldn't trust it with my life and you also have objects to contend with like trees coming up from behind the rollbar, rocks, cars, anything flying thru the air, you flying through the air. That said though I love the vert.
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1993 900 vert, 1990 Ford Bronco(4 sale)

Definitely find yourself another saab. You already know how nice the car is. You now know how safe the car is.

Just do slow down, please dear? I know you've been driving for a couple years now, and the turbo is very fun, but you're still not superhuman. When you get your new car, see about signing up for an advanced driving course or taking it to a local autocross. There you can learn how to drive the car significanly better than any driver's ed or defensive driving course could ever teach you. And the one thing that those advanced driving courses should teach is to NEVER use excessive speed around a bend you're not familiar with (and by familiar I mean you know it better than you know your own pet).

Admittedly, from time to time my friends and I will take our cars out to the hillside for some of the "twisties", but we *never* go barreling through corners, even 5mph over the limit, if we don't know exactly what the road does on the other side. There is a lot of dangerous stuff out there, and taking turns too quickly is a surefire way to find that dangerous stuff the painful way.

So do take care when going around bends or over hills, alright?

That said, what *are* you going to do with your car?
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900 8V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.Panda
A few days ago, I was going a little too fast around a turn that was a little too sharp...

I lost control of my car...
it flipped into the woods 1 and 1/2 times...
there is no real reason why I am alive...

*sigh*
Here are the pictures
Car Pictures
hey - you walked away - that's the important thing - the rest is just sheet metal and paint. There's a lot of good "stuff" left on your Saab from the firewall back. Was it still running when you came to rest? To me it's really cool when that happens.
Everyone on this board probably knows why you're alive - you decided to roll a Saab. Ok - the front fender is all caved in and the hoods a mess - windshield broke out BUT look at the roof and windshield pillars - no damage - from a 1.5 flip? Damm few cars that can look that good following an off like that!
So having proven the safety of a Saab - looks like it's time to find yourself another one - just take the lesson you learned in vehicle dynamics along with you when you drive going forward in life -
And yeah - as suggested - take something along with you from the car - perhaps a badge off the back - maybe the one off the hood!

Steve
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: none, but it's coming again...

if it still runs, personally i think i'd fix those wheels/ axles, and keep driving it, as a testament to saab
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewitdaspike
if it still runs, personally i think i'd fix those wheels/ axles, and keep driving it, as a testament to saab
it's funny - when I first looked at the pics I thought "hell - that doesn't look that bad - bang out the fender - new windshield and hood - maybe a new coolant recovery tank - "
... it'd be interesting to know if it still ran. Many years ago I flipped a karman giha (a convertible yet) - pushed it back on it's wheels (with some help from a couple passer-by types - it was still running but in neutral) - climbed back in and drove home. The top (which had been up) was all f'd up - one headlight was busted and the windshield had a crack in it - but it ran and drove just fine (as well as a mid-60's VW could by the mid 1970's) - I just always thought it was cool that it kept running -
Old 26th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Year's ago I flipped my mom's car into a ditch. Car went end over end and stopped on the roof. I didn't turn the key off when I climbed out and it caught on fire and burned to a crisp a few minutes later. Always turn the key off!

I'll never forget picking her up from the airport the next day in my brother's beater and giving her the bad news.

Mom: You crashed my car???? Can it be fixed???
Me: Not so much.
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 86 900T

"not so much"

I just spit water on my keyboard. BAHAHA
Old 26th June 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: BMW 5series

Oh just fix the dents and axels and get a good buffer!
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetman
Year's ago I flipped my mom's car into a ditch. Car went end over end and stopped on the roof. I didn't turn the key off when I climbed out and it caught on fire and burned to a crisp a few minutes later. Always turn the key off!

I'll never forget picking her up from the airport the next day in my brother's beater and giving her the bad news.

Mom: You crashed my car???? Can it be fixed???
Me: Not so much.
yeah - but you walked away from it and were able to pick her up the next day - the rest is just sheet metal and paint. My wife wrecked her car on 6/16 - no one got hurt - just sheetmetal. Found out on 6/23 it was totalled by the insurance company - she was surprised that I wasn't upset - hell - just sheet metal and paint - no one was injured. Tried to get her into a Saab (darned nice '93 900NA with a slush box) but she fell for a (newer, red) Jetta. At least it's not another Neon ....
Old 26th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheFolkie
yeah - but you walked away from it and were able to pick her up the next day - the rest is just sheet metal and paint. My wife wrecked her car on 6/16 - no one got hurt - just sheetmetal. Found out on 6/23 it was totalled by the insurance company - she was surprised that I wasn't upset - hell - just sheet metal and paint - no one was injured. Tried to get her into a Saab (darned nice '93 900NA with a slush box) but she fell for a (newer, red) Jetta. At least it's not another Neon ....
Funny as it is, mom still wasn't impressed! She still bugs me about it. That was my first and last "road" accident. She's written off 4 cars since then. But she has qualms about me getting behind the wheel of her car.
But back to Miss Panda's car. I so want those seats
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 5 Red C900T16 Verts

Was the sun roof open at the time?
Were you wearing seat belts?

BTW glad you're ok, get another.

Old 26th June 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Ya know, I have a black 1990 900 Turbo 3-door with tan leather and otherwise exactly like that one. It's an early '90 with "SAAB-SCANIA" on the ID plate and all that, and the mfg date is 1/90. But 1/90 was the first month of Saab Automobile not Saab Car Division so it's a pretty funky car IMO.

Anyway looking at that car, I would probably not repair the body.

But look, drivetrain good, interior good right?

Look for a beat up 900, maybe something with a bad transmission. Swap your tranny in there (or if the new car is a non turbo, put the whole drivetrain) and you are back in business for a couple hundred bucks. PLUS you have a whole boatload of spare parts.

If you just junk your 900 and buy another car, it will cost you much more. As well, you won't have a car with the same kind of performance as a 900 Turbo unless you pay a helluva lot more.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 26th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: none, but it's coming again...

I have some questions that would be great for a pm!

Last edited by jetman; 26th June 2006 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement