Viggen v's Mazda RX-8 - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd June 2006

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: Black 1999 Viggen
Default Viggen v's Mazda RX-8

A lad at work has just bought an RX-8 228BHP and is bugging the tits out of mesaying it will waste my car in a race,my Vig is not stock it has been re mapped,de catted with full abbott stainless exhaust ,i dont know the bhp of my car but i think it will be around the 260 mark maybe higher......how close a race do you think it will be....i really need to shut this lad up.........but he will have to wait until i get my clutch done its slipping in higher gears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd June 2006

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '01 9³ Aero Coupé

IMO it would be close. There are pros & cons for both cars. The official 0-60 times are almost identical on stock cars. His advantage is being RWD will give a better launch & no torque steer. Your Viggen is tuned but is FWD & you might struggle to get traction. However the Mazda is WAY down on torque compared to a standard Viggen so once your tires bite you're in with a chance (on your private stretch of road officer).
Old 23rd June 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                

From a standstill it might be close. From a roll, even a stock Viggen will lay waste to one of those. I've done exactly that several times.

For what it's worth, the 228 bhp RX8 will put around 175-185 whp on the same Dynojet where a Viggen will put down 212-214 whp ... not to mention a lot more torque.
Old 23rd June 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 Viggen e85 tuned... 378whp ~ 400lbtq

have you thought about getting the viggen rescue kit??? that would improve your torque steer helping reduce wheels spin off launch... i believe anyways...
Old 23rd June 2006
Super Moderator

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SC, 2013 Volvo C70

Anything longer then a quarter mile, and he's toast. Feel free to "bug the tits" out of him, because he knows not what he speaks.

Your car would be a good match in STOCK form against his. Tuned? No chance, Mazda.
Old 23rd June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by byastremski
have you thought about getting the viggen rescue kit??? that would improve your torque steer helping reduce wheels spin off launch... i believe anyways...
it has the viggen rescue kit on and uprated shocks etc
Old 23rd June 2006
locnar

my best friend has an 8 also. he's had it for a year and has put only 800 miles on it. i call it the trailor queen. i think i have driven it more than he has. i wasnt too impressed with it either. the weight distribution is very nice. the car handles like a dream.. but its not as "ballsy" as i thought it would be..car isnt worth 30 grand to me
Old 23rd June 2006

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1998 900SE Turbo Conv.

I drove an Rx-8 with a few minor mods about 3-4 months after they came out, and i was deeply unimpressed with its performance. My brother had a final edition rx-7, which as far as i understand they did not sell in the US, and it was by far the fast, most fun, and "tourqiest" car ive ever driven in. Even the standard 3rd gen rx7's were just a blast to drive, and comparing the driving to the rx8 was a bit dissapointing. I just dont understand how u can remake a performance vehicle, and drop the 0-60 by about 2 seconds, drop the hp by about 20(if manual) and nearly 60(if auto), and tourque by nearly 60lb-ft.

It's the exact same thing as the comparison of the 300zx to the 350z's, or hell even the new chargers and GTO's to the old school versions.

I think u should make fun of him for buying a stupid remake of a vehicle, and then smoke em (cause u will), then make fun of him for the cost of replacing his engine after his seals blow in the 100k range
Old 23rd June 2006

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

I know very little about the RX8, nor have I ever driven one.... I have however held the 20B rotary engine in my hands, so there is a massive advantage in the (lack of) weight as far as the engine is concerned - they only used the 13B engine, the smaller of the two ****els.

This weight difference might make all the difference... I'm not sure. I can't find the specs for the viggen, but the Mazda weighs in at only 1300Kg, sits on 18" low-profile tyres, drives from it's **** and allegedly puts out 190BHP

If you were both stock, I'd probably have to put the money on the RX8 (I know, treachery is afoot)... but with the power output boosted and the larger wheels, you're definitely in with a shout.

Just beat him already, and let us know how easy it was...
Old 23rd June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

If he thinks his car is bad-*** then he will race you in any gear. Race from 3rd gear starting at say 45 mph and say good bye.
My best friend was a mazda freak at one time and built some amazingly fast R12 and 13 motors. Some with bolt on turbo's that would redline at 12,000 rpm. During those days there was almost nothing that could stand up to the cars that he built. But the new ones are dogs like stated above. They should have built on what road and track called the best prepared street car in it's class out of the factory. The last gen rx7's were and still are great cars. The new ones look like they were designed by some kids fresh out of automobile design school.

Last edited by lms; 23rd June 2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 23rd June 2006

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1998 900SE Turbo Conv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuBaN
I know very little about the RX8, nor have I ever driven one.... I have however held the 20B rotary engine in my hands, so there is a massive advantage in the (lack of) weight as far as the engine is concerned - they only used the 13B engine, the smaller of the two ****els.

This weight difference might make all the difference... I'm not sure. I can't find the specs for the viggen, but the Mazda weighs in at only 1300Kg, sits on 18" low-profile tyres, drives from it's **** and allegedly puts out 190BHP

If you were both stock, I'd probably have to put the money on the RX8 (I know, treachery is afoot)... but with the power output boosted and the larger wheels, you're definitely in with a shout.

Just beat him already, and let us know how easy it was...
Well the rx8 puts out 190bhp if its an auto, and i believe...dont quote me...235hp manual. I thought the viggen came with a standard 230hp, and with the mods u listed, i can't see why the rx8 would beat you even from a standstill.

still make fun of him
Old 23rd June 2006

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

Quote:
Well the rx8 puts out 190bhp if its an auto, and i believe...dont quote me...235hp manual.
Nah, it's no power monster: 190bhp manual and 160bhp on the automatic... but then no self-respecting driver would have an automatic in a car like that. It may have fancy doors to let people into the back seats, but it's still a 2-seater in my book!

http://mazda.jbcarpages.com/RX8/2004/index4.php

The Mazda's advantage would be weight... so if you do race him, be sure that both cars have four passengers and a boot full off stuff; the viggen will win hands-down.
Old 23rd June 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                

the weight difference between the cars I do not beleive is very much. Maybe 200 lbs or so & with the complete lack of torque that the rx8 has a stock viggen I would think would pull the rx8 quite easily.

then take a slightly modded viggen & he's toast

plus they only get like 18 mph highway

Actually, now that I think of it..... the viggen could have twice the torque of a rx8

2000 Viggen

1999 YZ 400F

2006 Harley Ultra Classic
Old 24th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuBaN
Nah, it's no power monster: 190bhp manual and 160bhp on the automatic... but then no self-respecting driver would have an automatic in a car like that. It may have fancy doors to let people into the back seats, but it's still a 2-seater in my book!

http://mazda.jbcarpages.com/RX8/2004/index4.php

The Mazda's advantage would be weight... so if you do race him, be sure that both cars have four passengers and a boot full off stuff; the viggen will win hands-down.
uh, i think you need to reread the stuff in the link. it clearly says 250hp for manual. here:
Engine

Type RENESIS 13B twin rotor - rotary engine
Displacement [cc] 1308
Compression Ratio
10.0:1 Redline [rpm] 9000 7500
Max. Power [Bhp at rpm]
250 at 8500 210 at 7200
Max. Torque [lb-ft (Nm) at rpm]
159 (215) at 5500 164 (222) at 5000 Bhp/Liter 191 161

you looked at the wrong line.

also wrong about curb weight:
General Information

Price [$US] from $21,180
Layout front-engine / rear-wheel-drive
Drag Coefficient [cd]
Curb Weight [lb (kg)]
3029 (1374) 3053 (1385)
Weight Distribution [%f / r]
50 / 50
Trunk Space [cu ft.]
viggen has curb weight of 3130lbs. get your facts straight.

Last edited by touche6784; 24th June 2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 24th June 2006

the weight thing shouldnt be a problem he is a right fat f***er...lol.....ill have to wait till i get my clutch sorted it slipping like hell in higher gear when you floor it
Old 24th June 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche6784
uh, i think you need to reread the stuff in the link. it clearly says 250hp for manual. here:
viggen has curb weight of 3130lbs. get your facts straight.
Yet you're clearly wrong according to Mazda USA: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=RX8

RX-8 6-speed manual: 232 @ 8,500 rpm

And, the Viggen kerb weight depends on year. 2001-2002, which had TCS, and were heavier. The 1999-2000 MY's were lighter. A couple of Saab's brochures list the 1999-2000 cars as being between 2900-2990 lbs, depending on options. (like sunroof, etc) 3160 is the heavest I've seen for a Viggen weight and that's a 2002 with TCS, sunroof and 4-doors, but different markets may get slightly different weights and options.

Anyway, next time you're critical of someone's facts, you might want to make sure yours aren't also in error.
Old 24th June 2006
Banned

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W
Yet you're clearly wrong according to Mazda USA: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=RX8

RX-8 6-speed manual: 232 @ 8,500 rpm

And, the Viggen kerb weight depends on year. 2001-2002, which had TCS, and were heavier. The 1999-2000 MY's were lighter. A couple of Saab's brochures list the 1999-2000 cars as being between 2900-2990 lbs, depending on options. (like sunroof, etc) 3160 is the heavest I've seen for a Viggen weight and that's a 2002 with TCS, sunroof and 4-doors, but different markets may get slightly different weights and options.

Anyway, next time you're critical of someone's facts, you might want to make sure yours aren't also in error.
it doesnt say at the wheels... when i had a jetta the engine came stock with 130hp and i had a full exhaust and chip and cam and got it on a dyno and got 125whp. im not sure on the % but i think 20% is lost in the drivetrain
Old 24th June 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888
it doesnt say at the wheels... when i had a jetta the engine came stock with 130hp and i had a full exhaust and chip and cam and got it on a dyno and got 125whp. im not sure on the % but i think 20% is lost in the drivetrain
Who said it WAS at the wheels?

If you want horsepower to the wheels for an RX-8 6-speed manual, first stock and then with exhaust, here you go:

Stock Viggen, also on a dynojet: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...06-211-213.jpg

hmmmm
Old 24th June 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: Viggen

2nd gear roll... you'll lay waste to that thing like its nothing... trust me, I did to an unsuspecting one in my old Viggen.
Old 25th June 2006

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                

lol this is a funny thread, a stock viggen will eat up an rx-8. If you say you have remap and other mods, you are gona put buslenghts on him!!! I would not even worry about him, infact try and put a wager on him, 2nd gear roll till 200km/h you will have 10++++ cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement