Clutch replacement? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19-06-06
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900 SE, 1989 C900 16v
Default Clutch replacement?

My clutch is almost certainly on its way out...

It bites really low, about an inch of pedal travel from out to fully engaged, I've tried adjusting the cable but no avail, so I'm budgeting for a new clutch soonish.

My question:

The car is engine stock at the moment, I will be adding an MBC+A (I keep on saying this but never seem to get round to fitting it!!). It is the manual cable setup.

Is it really worth upgrading the clutch to a viggen spec one/hydraulic setup or should I just stick with replacing like with like? Is it advisable to replace the cable when I replace the rest of the setup?

Cheers guys!

1989 Saab 900i 16v Auto - Red
Standard as the day it was born - my Sunday car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-06-06

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon

My car is just at the service-station to change the clutch.
It is a 9-3 HOT boosted up by Nordic ECU software upgrade.
Very likely it couldn't handle the 230+ HP and 350+ Nm (258+ lb-Ft) performance. This factory standard clutch was built in just some month ago.
I decided to use a Viggen clutch kit instead.

Last edited by Muzx; 19-06-06 at 03:09 PM.
Old 19-06-06
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow
Is it really worth upgrading the clutch to a viggen spec one/hydraulic setup or should I just stick with replacing like with like? Is it advisable to replace the cable when I replace the rest of the setup?

Cheers guys!
If you have the time and/or money, then I'd say it's definitely worth it to upgrade to a Viggen clutch and the hydraulic mechanism. I did the installation and upgrade myself ($700 total, or so), and it's been great. My cable left me stranded a couple of times and caused problems a few other times, too, so I have no regrets. If you do stick with the cable, then yes, replace it when you replace the clutch.
Old 19-06-06

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1998 900 SE 5spd

Yeah, I'm in almost teh exact same situation as you Storm, clutch bites very low, and my mbc+a is coming in a few days, but the stock clutch should be able to handle that, but would it be okay to get the viggen clutch anyways?
1998 Saab 900SE - Manual Boost Controller + Anticipator, Short Ram Intake, Saab Sport Exhaust, Bypass Valve, Removed Turbo Silencer, Throttle Body Transition Cast Ported, Intake Heat Reduction, Rear Antisway Bar, Steering Rack Clamp, Boost/Vacuum Gauge, Rims
2002 Volkswagen Beetle GLX - Short Ram Intake, Bypass Valve, Angry Eye Lids, Window Tints
Old 19-06-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon900Cent
Yeah, I'm in almost teh exact same situation as you Storm, clutch bites very low, and my mbc+a is coming in a few days, but the stock clutch should be able to handle that, but would it be okay to get the viggen clutch anyways?
I don't know how much is the boosted performance and torque with MBC+A, but my personal experience shows that the stock clutch is unable to handle the boosted performance of my engine.
The clutch disc and some springs have broken, the flywheel surface burnt because the clutch mechanism was not strong enough.
Old 19-06-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzx
I don't know how much is the boosted performance and torque with MBC+A, but my personal experience shows that the stock clutch is unable to handle the boosted performance of my engine.
The clutch disc and some springs have broken, the flywheel surface burnt because the clutch mechanism was not strong enough.
Really? I never heard anyone mention the need for a new clutch after getting an mbc. Does anyone else have experience with this?
1998 Saab 900SE - Manual Boost Controller + Anticipator, Short Ram Intake, Saab Sport Exhaust, Bypass Valve, Removed Turbo Silencer, Throttle Body Transition Cast Ported, Intake Heat Reduction, Rear Antisway Bar, Steering Rack Clamp, Boost/Vacuum Gauge, Rims
2002 Volkswagen Beetle GLX - Short Ram Intake, Bypass Valve, Angry Eye Lids, Window Tints
Old 19-06-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon900Cent
Really? I never heard anyone mention the need for a new clutch after getting an mbc. Does anyone else have experience with this?
That's why I said I don't know how much the MBC boosts up the performance. I have no mechanical change on my engine. The performance upgrade managed only by the Nordic ECU software.
I suppose, if the boosted horsepower and torque is similar to mine (doesn't matter what makes the increased performance, mechanical modification or ECU upgrade) the stock clutch exposed to more heavy duty than it was designed.
I have got an information from my Saab-expert friend that the standard clutch is able to handle up to 300 Nm (221 lb-Ft).

Last edited by Muzx; 19-06-06 at 03:10 PM.
Old 19-06-06
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900 SE, 1989 C900 16v

Aah sod it, I'll just change the clutch and cable to a standard jobbie and see what happens - if it fails sometime down the line then I'll re-think my options.

I would change to a hydraulic, but to be honest I don't really see any huge benefit, plus with the extra cost...

1989 Saab 900i 16v Auto - Red
Standard as the day it was born - my Sunday car!
Old 19-06-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzx
That's why I said I don't know how much the MBC boosts up the performance. I have no mechanical change on my engine. The performance upgrade managed only by the Nordic ECU software.
I suppose, if the boosted horsepower and torque is similar to mine (doesn't matter what makes the increased performance, mechanical modification or ECU upgrade) the stock clutch exposed to more heavy duty than it was designed.
I have got an information from my Saab-expert friend that the standard clutch is able to handle up to 300 Nm (221 lb-Ft).
I think that ecu gets you like 21psi of boost, the mbc gets a max of 15.5psi. So what your saying about the 221lb-ft makes sense cause I know the chip would get you past that but the mbc wont, and thats why I've heard you need to replace your clutch if you get software, but not the mbc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement