I flew a Saab today! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 87&88S,88T,91TVert, 90 Talladega Red SPG
Cool I flew a Saab today!

It went something like this...

Green light, highway on ramp, accelerating, accelerating, and around 60-65mph Whap!Thud!Whish...click as the shoulder belt locked, then tires chirping as they gripped mother earth again, seat belt tries to rip shoulder out of its socket and everything goes black for a second, remove chin from chest, refocus eyes just in time to lead car through a curve, merge onto highway, cuss a blue streak for the next five miles.

Never saw it coming.

I've used that on ramp before too, must be the summer heat and the lack of rain causing the pavement to warp or something. Or maybe just the typical Tulsa road maintance.

All I know is I'm really glad I don't have a glass jaw, otherwise I'd have had a little longer flight.
Advertisement

Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's

Lucky you did'nt leave your gearbox behind in the road .

Next time you'll have to hit the afterburner a bit earlier and get some proper air , just remember to wear your G-suit so you don't black out again!!!
Old 15th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1993 900 vert, 1990 Ford Bronco(4 sale)

Heh. I launched the Bronco once... I was driving relatively quickly down a backroad here which I knew quite well. But for some reason on this particular day I neglected one tiny detail.

The railroad tracks are raised about 5 feet.

With just enough time to process, "Oh, $#@&!" I hear the engine rev as if it were in neutral and watch the ground get very very far away. I realize I'm about to break something as I start to come back down. SLAM!!! I realize I just broke something. I slowwwlllly pull off into a parking lot and look at it.

Amazingly, nothing was broken! I was shocked! I just dropped from a good 6-7' up and nothing broke!

So I did it again. Two more times.

Never again though. As fun as it was, looking back it scares the piss out of me.
Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

Furthest I have flown a Saab is 18 feet, as marked by my size 11 hiking boots. Furthest I have flown any car is about 50 feet (74 Honda civic). An event which tore the front sub frame in half. Made for an interesting drive home with the right side driver popping out every once in a while coupled with sudden four uncontrolled "lane changes".

So, in short, I win!! Who wants to come party at the farm sometime with crazy old Jetman!

As soon as the old man withers out I'm breaking out a skid steer and making a proper offroad course through the swamp and forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Git, that's what i'm planning, sell my house, buy land, race my car around it , anyone wanna come join me @ my psudo nature reserve/rally track
Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si
Git, that's what i'm planning, sell my house, buy land, race my car around it , anyone wanna come join me @ my psudo nature reserve/rally track
Livestock = pylons

Are you calling me a git???
Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

I reserve the right to call anyone who has a farm they can race their Saab on a git .
Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si
I reserve the right to call anyone who has a farm they can race their Saab on a git .
I don't have a farm. Just me mom's, and I'm still waiting for the step dad to, uh "buy it" for her. All he does is complain about the cars and motorcycles I park there. Right next to his dead tractors
Old 15th June 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-3 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermich
Heh. I launched the Bronco once... I was driving relatively quickly down a backroad here which I knew quite well. But for some reason on this particular day I neglected one tiny detail.

The railroad tracks are raised about 5 feet.

With just enough time to process, "Oh, $#@&!" I hear the engine rev as if it were in neutral and watch the ground get very very far away. I realize I'm about to break something as I start to come back down. SLAM!!! I realize I just broke something. I slowwwlllly pull off into a parking lot and look at it.

Amazingly, nothing was broken! I was shocked! I just dropped from a good 6-7' up and nothing broke!

So I did it again. Two more times.

Never again though. As fun as it was, looking back it scares the piss out of me.
hahaha. You are so from texas. (and whoever says Fords are weak Pieces should read this)

My Car (flickr)
Old 15th June 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Once I was driving a Chevy pickup down a real crappy backroad which was originally done in like the 1700's and later paved. Anyway these roads are basically made for tractors and not automobiles, as evidenced by say 130 degree turns with zero banking

Anyway I'm driving down this road, straight stretch, only maybe 70 km/h (PSL 80!). I go over a small bridge over a irrigation thingy and for some reason, the bridge and the road on the other side there is quite a big difference! YUMP! Definately lost ground contact even though there is like 3 feet of suspension travel...

I've had many fun encounters that had me scraping the skidplate of the C900 against stuff that appeared flat...
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 27th December 2008

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1988 900S
Default flying...

mmm I'm going to skip all the fun I've had off-road with my VW Thing.

I drive my '88 900S like I never want to buy another part or gasoline for it ever again, but once in a rental ford mustang (new mustang), my brother-n-law and I were out just having a little fun with it, we went around a corner with a small dip and all four wheels left the ground...

what a rush! totally unplanned.

I've never driven an original Mustang, or any performance car of those years, but I definitely have to hand it to Ford for creating a really fun car that's also fairly practical when you decide to lay off the gas. We had a 6-cylinder and believe it or not you could even get to the oil filter & spark plugs! Holy cow!

I really <heart> my 900s, but with 224k on the odo it's always a fight with some little problem or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement