shocking experience - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th June 2006

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 85 8vT, 88 16v, 87 8v, 87 16vT, 92+93
Default shocking experience

Give me some feedback on this event:
1987 8v non-turbo
I've been attempting to solve a "rich running" problem. Read alot of threads about the area. I decided to pull the plug wires while at idle to see if a cylinder of not firing. Put on gloves and used a special pliers (insulated) to pull the wires from the plugs. Man, I barely got the first wire off the plug and there was sparks dancing all over the outside of the rubber plug boot, not to mention I was dancing while the high voltage pulse went through me! Wow, shocking. Anyway, I'd say this was not normal. I am thinking the plug wires are shot. I should be able to bare hand remove these and not get bit...right? There shouldn't be any voltage dancing on the outside of the boot-correct? I couldn't get the boot out very far for obvious reasons.
Please let me know if I am on the right reason to replace the wires.
What are the best plug wires to purchase? Original Saab (starts with a "B" manufacture)
Thanks
Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th June 2006

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1986 C900i 8V NA
Default Electronic Ignition Sytems

Electronic Ignition Systems run at much higher voltages than the old conventional systems. Exercise caution - they can be dangerous.
Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's

I've had a HT lead shorting to the block, best off replacing plugs, leads, cap & rota as they are all reletively cheap.I think i got the bougicord ones which seem fine.
Old 15th June 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

you should be able to remove leads by hand while it is running and not get shocked!

you could try running the car in the dark and see if you can see any sparking anywhere?
Old 15th June 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Bougicord! Again never had a similar issue to you.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 10th July 2006
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

I got an HT shock from the shorting king lead on set of Magnecor leads once. Now I just switch off the ignition before changing the leads!
Old 10th July 2006
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1978 99T in black; 1983 99GL in Beige

I always turn off the ignition before fiddling. The one exception is when making small adjustments to the dissy position when I use the vac capsule to turn it - 1) it acts as a slamm lever so can leave the clamp done up slightly so it doesn't move by itself and 2) it's earthed so I'm not going to xap myself

Whilst you're supposed to be able to touch ignition leads with the engine running, it only takes a bit of dirt to allow a little conduction leading to a zap.
Old 11th July 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900S 5-Spd
Default Did Juneau that you could ruin the electronics by removing the plug wire?

Removing spark plug wires will sometimes ruin your electronic ignition system. Voltages will increase to make the jump thus exceeding the safe limits of the electronics. Use a dummy spark plug grounded to the block to handle to electrical load of the particular lead you are experimenting.
No need for the insulated pliers.
Old 13th July 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1989 Saab 900i 8v Auto 4 door

Hey Juneau,

You solved that rich running problem yet? I have an '89 8v auto which up to now has had pretty bad MPG , but that seems to have been fixed by replacing the thermo time switch. I had already replaced the cold start valve and warm-up regulator (after the usual tune up, plug change/gap check, oil change, air + oil filter change, tyre pressure increase, lead changes, etc), but they didn't improve the situation.

I'm now getting an extra 100 miles to a tank of fuel, than I was getting when I bought the car. With UK fuel prices, that's worth the time and investment (or will be in a year or so's time! ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement