Should I be worried about rust? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th April 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: '92 900 Turbo, 135k
Default Should I be worried about rust?

My '92 900T is new-to-me and as such I didn't have the full "lowdown" on where its been or how its been treated. I did know that it originated in Illinois where they DO salt their roads, but it seemed less than many other states. It's also been "out west" for the past 5 years or so.

Anyhow, one of our local shops, ScanWest Autosport, did the "buyer's inspection" for me, but never mentioned rust being an issue with this vehicle. I purchased the car and now find out that there is some rust underneath!

So... during a routine oil change today (it was *free* to me) I peered underneath to see how bad the rust might be. It wasn't frightening, but there was certainly a bit on the axles. The exhaust has been replaced, so it's fine. There are also some spots here and there, but nothing that looked like it might fall through at any moment.

My question is this: how much do I really need to worry about it? Should I be taking preventative measures? Should I be looking to sell this car as fast as I can??? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Yip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th April 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Rust on the axles? Like the axle shafts look rusty? Oh man don't worry about such trivial matters The axle will always get rusty, but it is solid steel.

The place to worry is where the lower suspension A-arms mount to the body. They tend to rust there and it's dangerous as the A-arm eventually tears out of it on a curve and the wheel gets an interesting alignment... Also of course having solid floors is good, and nice brake lines. But axles don't even worry about that.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 20th April 2006
Saab Crazy

I'd have to look around closely to know all the places that the rust has gotten to, but a quick 3 minute look-see wasn't especially alarming to me. The wheel wells, for instance, that usually get pretty rusted only had one small spot that was more surface than anything.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid?
Old 20th April 2006
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

If you want to know where 900s rust, then look here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284
Old 20th April 2006
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yipcanjo
I'd have to look around closely to know all the places that the rust has gotten to, but a quick 3 minute look-see wasn't especially alarming to me. The wheel wells, for instance, that usually get pretty rusted only had one small spot that was more surface than anything.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid?
Yeah most likely. But check those lower control arm areas. I had some rot there on a car that didn't have a speck anywhere else. It's fixable for sure, but if it's severely weakened that can be bad for your health.

The 900 isn't a very rust-prone car. For the most part it is well protected, well painted and is built with very high quality steel.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 20th April 2006
Saab Crazy

Thanks, folks. I'll check the A-Arms and a few other spots.
Old 20th April 2006

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 T16 vert, 911 SC,914,W123 Diesel

i think the master on rust is "jeffSPG" he has done just about everything. All our cars have some rust. nobody is "100% rust free". You can acid and sand off surafce stuff on your floors and front suspension area yourself. don't worry about it too much. these cars hold well. Just stay on top of it best you can. don't let fender arches go too long, they can be fixed. ever car will rust a bit, it can always be fixed. There IS a future in cars with some rust, don't worry. I'm getting my one rusted arch done this spring, i will also be taking the interior out and cleaning up surface stuff on the floors. my car has a little, but its solid. don't worry again.
Old 20th April 2006
Saab Crazy

So I shouldn't go spraying "Rust-o-leum" on anything that resembles rust?
Old 20th April 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1993 Sleeper

Defiantly have a look at the axle tubes and in and around that area. Another area to investigate is above the CAT but most likely the heat shield will prevent you from getting a good look.

The there is the areas around the rear suspension upper arms or as Saab calls it a “stay” especially around the passenger’s side of the car.

I have used a product called EXTEND which is a rust inhibitor and then either undercoated over that or painted.

Other people swear by POR15 which is another option.

I would have to agree with everyone who posted, the classic 900 is a pretty solid car and 90% of the rust can be fixed.

Look at the bottom edges of your doors too….. the inside edge.
Old 3rd May 2006
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

Any rust which you aren't going to fix straightaway shou;d be treated with a heavy-duty wax-based rust inhibitor such as Waxoyl. Remember that these rust spots may be small now, but they will spread and then they'll be expensive to repair.

Stay on top of the rust on your car. Regular inspections and repairs. Even if you're not handy with bodywork, you can take care of the small rust spots which are normally hidden.

I'm about to do that on one of my cars. I'll buy a Dremel with a few tools, some primer and a can of paint. Get rid of the rust using the Dremel's wire-brush wheels, clean, prime and paint. This will be pretty much the first bodywork repairs I have attempted.

Rust on the front axles is very common, but as mentioned before they ain't going to fall apart because they're solid steel. Interestingly the fornt driveshafts on my 9000 are rust free, even though the car's 12 years old. Looks like they're powder coated.

It is probably the rust in hidden places which will continue to develop, with you finding out only when it's bad enough to show up on a vehicle inspection.

Last edited by Matthew; 3rd May 2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd May 2006

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 T16 vert, 911 SC,914,W123 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew

It is probably the rist in hidden places which will continue to develop, with you finding out only when it's bad enough to show up on a vehicle inspection.
in North america vehicle inspection is rare. the only way a vehicle is inspected in British Columbia is if you bring in an out of province or out of country vehicle and/or a wonderful policeman thinks you car needs one because of poor running condition or he thinks it is unsafe (ie: non working horn, broken glass, no doors)
Old 3rd May 2006
Saabista

And inspection in states that require it are usually pretty lax. Unless the brake line explodes when the inspector is driving the car into the service bay you should pass.

In Quebec, jeez if there is a "sharp edge" on the bumper no pass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement