Please talk me out of a 9-5 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th March 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SS Aero
Default Please talk me out of a 9-5

Stopped by the dealership this afternoon to narrow down the color choice for the 9-3 SS Aero that I would like to order in the next week or so. Everything was going well until the sales guy mentioned that for the same money that I was going to pay on a fully loaded Aero, I could get a fully loaded 9-5 (without navigation package). He kept pointing out that a similar optioned 9-5 last year would have cost $10,000 Cdn more than this year's version.

Can't say I saw anything to dislike about the 9-5. The interior seemed to have a tad bit better fit and finish. Definitely roomier. Nice engine. Nice rims. Father in law (major saab guy) much prefers the 9-5 . . .

Help . . . . any and all input appreciated !!!!!

Last edited by Pokerguy; 28th March 2006 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th March 2006

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                

Father in Law comment says it all. If you are north of 50 years old go with the 9.5. I looked close ai one and thought it was nice. Still like an 9.3 Aero much better.
Old 28th March 2006

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                

I originally went to buy a 9 5, but ended up with the 9 3. I loved the 9 5, but found the AC could not keep up with the Texas heat, but that should not be an issue with you. The 9 3 has a MUCH better ac system. The 95 has a better sound system and seats. I a happy with my 9 3.
Old 28th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: SAAB-less

Between the two I'd say it's a really tough call, particularly if they truly are out the door loaded at the exact same price.

As far as safety, gas mileage, performance (both rated at 258lb-ft torque) it's probably close enough to call it a tie.

The Aero may be a bit smoother and even somewhat quicker because of the low-end torque from the V6 and the fact that it's a lighter car (I think). The Aero will probably handle better also due to its smaller size. I think the Aero, particularly with the new twin tailpipes, is a MUCH sharper looking car.

My experience though has been (and this is based on my 2004 Aero) that the build quality and quality of the materials in the 9-5 are slightly better. Of course I haven't seen up close a 2006 9-5 that's received an in and out face lift, and I haven't spent much time in a 9-3SS since my MY2004 to see if fit and finish have improved at all - I assume somewhat but not by leaps and bounds.

There can be no doubt that the 9-5 will have a higher quality sound system (harmon kardon) and probably won't be plagued by some of the computer and electronic issues in the 9-3's MOST system, but that stuff seems to be pretty well ironed out by now.

The V6 is likely to be in SAAB's portfolio for a while to come - I'm guessing the 2.3T in the 9-5 is soon to be retired, but it is a mature, very stable engine that's been even further tweaked. The 9-5 is the flagship for the brand so take that into account.

Good luck - I'm sure I've just made it worse.
Old 28th March 2006
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear

Both compare well with one another on paper. You'll have to take them both out for test drives and choose.
Old 28th March 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Aero

i drove both (03-04) and for me the final decision came down to interior space and perceived reliability. i don't frequently carry 4 but when i do it's nice that everyone can stretch out. although it wasn't a huge difference during the test drive i did also notice the 9-5 seemed to have a slightly nicer interior...these things have a way of becoming more pronounced over time.

if i was solely buying for driving satisfaction and no other compromises the 9-3 would have edged out the 9-5.

if you're not sure of your priorities this is a tough enough decision made even tougher with both cars at the same price point. good luck!
Old 29th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Had I got to this post earlier I would have said what you did in conclusion.

9-5 for space / 9-3 for driver involvement. Which do you want more of, Space.
Old 29th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: MY04 Hirsch 9-5 Aero 4-door auto

I've got a 9-5 Aero and have had loads of different 9-3SS as dealer loan cars, so can make a comparison.
As has been said the fit and finish of the 9-5 is a bit better than the 9-3, although the fit/finish of the newer 9-3 is better than the earlier ones certainley.
The 9-5 is easily the roomier of the 2, and not just rear leg room. I'm 6ft but have largish feet and longish legs, and the extra space in the front footwells of the 9-5 make thedriving position much more comfortable over the 9-3. The pedal/seat positioning in the 9-5 is far better than the 9-3 as well. In fact, although the chassis of the 9-3 is more sporty, the enjoyment of that is blunted by the less comfortable driving position. The only advantage the 9-3 has over the 9-5 in this respect is a greater range of movement of the steering wheel adjustment.

I much prefer the older Saab engines in the 9-5 over the GM units in the 9-3, although I haven't as yet driven a V6t engined 9-3, but with the fuel and vehicle taxation in the UK I'd never be interested in that engine anyway.

I agree the sound system in the 9-5 is way better than you get in the 9-3.

I enjoy my odd days driving a 9-3 but I'm always glad to get back in the 9-5 afterwards.

It's a tough choice, and I 'd say just have as long a test drive in both before deciding which to buy.
Old 29th March 2006
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 2000 9-3 Vert, 2004 9-3ss Linear

IMHO, this how i see it if compared with 9-3SS V6T:

9-5 pros:
Seats are very comfortable
Vent seats!!
Sound system
Roomy
Better gas mileage
Better reliability record
Better put together (less rattle)

9-5 cons:
Handling feels Big and Old
More noticable turbo lag
New model in 2008?
Less storage in and around dash
Old key, not infrared type
Old 29th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: MY04 Hirsch 9-5 Aero 4-door auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by benotone
9-5 cons:
Handling feels Big and Old
That can be sorted if this was the only perceived reason to not buy the 9-5. My 9-5 Aero with the Hirsch wheels and suspension is just as good as a 9-3 Aero for everyday driving apart from track day use. In fact in terms of comfort it's far better.

Quote:
9-5 cons:
New model in 2008?
To be fair, it's quite likely the 9-3 will be replaced with a new model at the same time, as both models seem likely to be made by Opel at Russelheim from then on, and the current 9-3 can't be made there because of the changes Saab made to the Epsilon platform.

Quote:
9-5 cons:
Less storage in and around dash
This is not as bad in the new MY06 9-5's which have some additional storage in the front footwell.
Old 29th March 2006

My Saabs: 2006 Jeep Commander Limited//2004 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.3 Joe
Father in Law comment says it all. If you are north of 50 years old go with the 9.5. I looked close ai one and thought it was nice. Still like an 9.3 Aero much better.
I'm 30 and I prefer the 9-5 over the 9-3. I have a 2003 Aero and rarely have a problem with it. Unlike some of the things I hear with the 9-3. IMO the 9-5 is more comfortable (better sport seats and higher quality leather) and has more amenities. And is a great handling car!
Old 29th March 2006

My Saabs: 2006 Jeep Commander Limited//2004 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtech
I originally went to buy a 9 5, but ended up with the 9 3. I loved the 9 5, but found the AC could not keep up with the Texas heat, but that should not be an issue with you.
Strange, I live in AL, and it works fine.
Old 29th March 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 93 Aero Convertible
Default Buy a convertible

I know a way to break the tie. Buy a convertible. It's only available in the 93.

I'm one of those north of 50 and was drawn to Saab for a roomy convertible. It's my mid-life crisis kicking in. The convertible is smaller inside than the sedan, but again I bought so I could put the top down. (but the SAAB convertible appeared to have more room then other ragtops I was looking at, especially the trunk)

Had I wanted a sedan I'd probably have gone with the 9-5 thou I haven't really checked it out to closely.
Old 29th March 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '05 arc vert

[QUOTE=MichSaab]
I'm one of those north of 50 and was drawn to Saab for a roomy convertible. It's my mid-life crisis kicking in. ]]

A bit slow to kick in wasn't it??

[ducks to avoid flying fists]
Old 29th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                

Yeah, but Aeropilot, don't you have the uber Hirsch Saab from heaven?

Old 29th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 06 95 aero

9-5:
Pluses: better screwed together, bugs worked out, bigger, more powerfull, very comfy seats, vented seates, rear heated seats, better NAV, no Fiber MOST network.
Minuses: You are buying a 9 year old design car. No one touch up/down on all windows (driver only). 2006 uses generic GM parts. Turbo lag....HVAC not as refined....handling is not as good

9-3

Pluses: Looks, handling, new prgressive technology, comfrot close/open, REAXX, all kinds of ESP/EBD/blablaba crap... 6 speed, V6
Minuses: Infotainment, MOST, computer issues, not screwed as well, rattles....
Old 30th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-5 | 06 9-7x | 04 9-3 no more =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by schernov
9-5:No one touch up/down on all windows (driver only).

9-5 front passenger is one touch down, too.

Vented seats on 9-5 are huge plus, assuming you have navigation on the 9-3 aero, that's a huge plus too. If you are getting a 9-5 with an automatic transmission, it's likely to develop an annoying vibration.. of course there are some fixes to control the intensity...
Old 30th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero

If you are an aggressive driver - probably like the nimbleness and tossability of the 9-3 - definetely will be a more compact feeling when strapped in.

If you are a more laid back driver - 9-5

You may also want to consider depreciation - seems odd that the car was 10k more a year ago - perhaps the 9-5 will be worth more down the road than a 9-3

Don't think you could go wrong either way - when I was buying my saab it had to be an aero and the 9-5 was out of my price range - the new 9-3 aero is sweet though - saw one today and it looked great - saw a new 9-5 the other day - sort of like seeing a good looking friend of my mothers who just recently had some plastic surgery - "I think it looks better"
Old 30th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93SS Arc

Pokerguy, what is your age.. driving distance.. city/hwy %?

Those are going to make a huge difference on reccomendations.
Old 30th March 2006
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 2000 9-3 Vert, 2004 9-3ss Linear

Pokerguy, are you reading this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement