Project Turbo Killer - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 99 & 90 > 99 & 90 Workshop

99 & 90 Workshop 99 & 90 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: ?
Default Project Turbo Killer

I know have enough parts to start rebuilding the 'new' engine for my 99GL. All of the internals are going to be balanced tomorrow, crank, pistons/rods, aluminium flywheel, clutch cover and crank pulley (from a Saab 90).
I am just waiting for the flowed head with larger inlet valves and special catcam to arrive.
Although it will eventually have Jenvey throttle bodies, i will be running the engine in with the K-jetronic system that is fitted at present, when it's run in, 500 miles or so on good mineral oil, it will be run on 5/40 fully synthetic oil.
I have almost convinced myself that the engine management system will be megasquirt, mainly because of cost and the ease of use with the tuning software, i will probably opt for a wideband O2 sensor and maybe a knock detector.
Have a look at this link for the parts so far http://spaces.msn.com/dbsss/Personal...UNvbnRyb2xsZXI

The twin manifold is a spare i have, the misab manifold is with the head so it can
be matched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th March 2006

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1972 Blue 1854cc Saab 99

Beware the wilds of Widnes when this beast gets on the road...!

Sounds like it's going to give you an "ear to ear" grin...

Cool...
Old 28th March 2006
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1978 99T in black; 1983 99GL in Beige

Link's not working properly Maybe exceeded the bandwidth as it loads some of it!

Who made the flywheel? Is it a fidenza? Did you have to buy a new 90 pulley too? It was Julian who put me on to that idea!
Old 28th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Yes, it keeps coming up 'temperalily unavailable try later' i'll have alook at it.

I sussed the 90 pulley out sometime ago with Julian, when i decided to fit the later H type engine, we had concerns over the 900 pulley and came to the conclusion that you would have great difficulty changing the belt, then we looked at a 90 Julian had at the time, later H type in a 99 engine bay, voila, single belt narrow pulley. I did a search on parts conections and a dealer in southampton contacted with a price of 75 delivered, so i couldn't refuse .
I bought the flywheel from swedish dynamics in the states.
Old 28th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

Try this link http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/album252Stupid MSN .
Old 28th March 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonett1
I sussed the 90 pulley out sometime ago with Julian, when i decided to fit the later H type engine, we had concerns over the 900 pulley and came to the conclusion that you would have great difficulty changing the belt, then we looked at a 90 Julian had at the time, later H type in a 99 engine bay, voila, single belt narrow pulley. I did a search on parts conections and a dealer in southampton contacted with a price of 75 delivered, so i couldn't refuse .
I bought the flywheel from swedish dynamics in the states.
Is this fitting in a 99 engine bay that previously had a B engine? - just what i was on about in my thread over the weekend!

What are you doing with the water pump?
Old 29th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

My 99 already has the early type H engine, but i know what you mean about the bulkhead on the early 99 if you want to fit any of the H type engines. I suppose you may only have two alternatives, either modify the bulkhead or fit an electric water pump. If you did go down the route of modifying the bulkhead, i think it would be easier to cut the section from a scrapped late 99 and graft it in to your early bulkhead, i know where there is a 99 that is being broken if you need that panel, it is easy to get at because the engine is out, but be quick the car will be going to the crusher soon.
Old 29th March 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

Quote:
i know where there is a 99 that is being broken if you need that panel, it is easy to get at because the engine is out, but be quick the car will be going to the crusher soon.
Is it local? and is it in a scrappy or at someones home/premises (so could i get power tools to it?, or loan something like a plasma cutter to remove it?)
Old 29th March 2006
Saab Lunatic

I suupose it's quite local...........Rochdale.

Power is available, so it should be quite easy to remove. If you are still interested, let me know and i'll forward some details.
Old 5th April 2006
Saab Lunatic

Just collected the 'rotating mass' from the engineering shop that did the balancing, i had everything balanced individually so if something was to break in the future i only need to replace and balance that part.

The rods were the worst, 7g and 19g had to be removed from two of them, the new '90' pulley didn't need to be touched, but everything else needed something removing.
Hopefully it will be a smooth engine and the idling won't be too bad with the special catcam .
Old 2nd May 2006
Saab Lunatic

Default Aluminium crank pulley with 36-1 toothed wheel

I know have my Aluminium crank pulley .
I have had it made in such a way that the toothed wheel for the megasquirt sits snug on a small lip. The wheel has 3 holes to fasten it to the pulley, i will wait until the engine is built and then line it up before i drill and tap the pulley itself.
The weight of the 90 OEM pulley is around 1.9kg, the aluminium pulley with the 5mm thick steel toothed wheel is 1.3kg.
Have a look here for pictures.....www.saabphotos.com/gallery/Project-Turbo-Killer
Old 11th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

It's been a while since i've up dated this thread...........

Gearbox is now complete, it's a 5 speed from an '84 GL so it should have had an easy life, this proved to be true when i opened it up, the syncro's are good and there is no wear on the pinion and ring gear, i fitted a quaife ATB, steel back cover and a chillcast pinion housing.

I had a call from Dave Baker at Puma Race Engines, he has carried out some calculations on the valve train at my request as i was concerned about the buckets failing when at high revs, i have heard of quite a few engines doing this. Basically the valve train on the H & B series engine is quite heavy, the saab inlet valve weighs in at 94g, the inlet Dave has fitted to my engine weighs 80g and this has a thicker stem and a bigger head! It's a Ford CVH valve but it's made to Dave's specification. The Saab buckets weigh 95g, Puegeot buckets weigh 69g, these can be made to fit with a little work. If you fit the valves, inlet and exhaust, from Puma Racing and the pug buckets you will save 20% of the valve train weight.
Another odd thing about the Saab buckets is that they have a hole half way up side, no other bucket that we know of has this hole and is a prime candidate for a stress crack, in fact cracks have been seen around this area on highly revved engines.
These engines with standard valve gear should be safe to around 6700, but i would set the limiter to around 6400 ish, with all the new lighter parts a full race engine could be developed that should go to 7600 rpm.
My engine should produce peak power at around 6400-6500 rpm so i will need to take it to around 7000rpm.
Old 11th April 2007
Super Moderator

I have 7 genuine Saab buckets with no hole. And one with The original design didn't have them. Best guess is a lube hole.
Old 11th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

How old are the buckets and can you weigh them?
Old 11th April 2007
Super Moderator

No idea Got them from a rummage at highgate a couple of years ago. When I've remembered where I put them, I'll give one to my Mum to weigh at her school. Presumably slightly heavier than the later type.
Old 12th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: '84 Saab 99GL with K-Jet

Quote:
Gearbox is now complete, it's a 5 speed from an '84 GL so it should have had an easy life...
Hehe, clearly you're not talking about my gearbox there!
Can't be, I don't think mine has had anything like an easy life!

Aint nothin' in the world as fine,
as driving in my ninety-nine...

Old 23rd May 2007
Saab Lunatic

Things are starting to happen again with this project, Dave Baker dropped the ported inlet manifold off the other day along with my new Catcam, the cylinderhead is almost complete, the 900 H series block is all built up and just waiting for the head to be fitted. I've been fiddling around with the crank sensor position, i think i have decided where to locate it, just need to make a sturdier bracket.

I had some spare time today so i fastened the jenveys/trumpets onto the manifold to check the finished length, clearance should be fine near the brake servo, this was my main concern about using the long trumpets, i have a total inlet tract lenght of around 415mm, obstructions are virtually zero, apart from the throttle itself.

A few pics of the Catcam, compared to the standard 99 cam.....

Old 24th May 2007

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                

Where did the manifold you're using come from? I know of 4 sources for these...

I've seen the valve train on these blow up from high revs. Mostly its the cam carrier that shatters. Dual valve springs will let you rev up to 8000-8500 rpm. I've got dual valve springs and a modified cam in one of my B engines and I've had it up to 8000 many times!
Old 24th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 turbo

Sonett1, those TBs scare me! Looks like a fun project
Old 24th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffc
Where did the manifold you're using come from? I know of 4 sources for these...

I've seen the valve train on these blow up from high revs. Mostly its the cam carrier that shatters. Dual valve springs will let you rev up to 8000-8500 rpm. I've got dual valve springs and a modified cam in one of my B engines and I've had it up to 8000 many times!
This one is a genuine Misab, obviously, it's from Sweden, but no longer produced, it's one of the best that was available.
The cam carrier will probably shatter, but more than likely the buckets went first, standard valve train on B and H series engine is good for around 6500rpm, more than that and your into your share of luck!
The parts are really heavy and the bucket with the holes in is a failure waiting to happen on a high revving engine, the Saab buckets weigh 95g, peugeot 205 GTI buckets weigh 69g, standard valves weigh 94g, the special 46mm valves i will be using on my EMS head weigh 80g and these are physically bigger, the stem is even thicker, these are OK with the uprated rally 205 GTI spring also, no need for duplex valves, of course using these parts means that you no longer have shims, but lash caps.

I would be very interested to see a power/torque curve for your engine, do you have a dyno graph?
Advertisement