Loking to upgrade ecu - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th February 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 Aero 5 spd
Default Loking to upgrade ecu

Hey everyone im new to the forums, just bought my 1999 9-5 2.3 a couple of months ago. My biggest question is where to get a reliable ECU upgrade. I plan on buying the remus exhaust also, but the ECU is first. Also looking for some help on the pixel repair on my SID. I have tried the method that everyone talks about (taking it apart, reactivating the strip with a credit card, putting foam in between the board) but it didnt work at all. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th February 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+

Genuinesaab is a great place in the states for Nordic ECUs. If you are buying the Remus exhaust, I would suggest you get that first or with the ECU, because then you can go directly to Stage 2. If you can afford it, I HIGHLY recommend you get their downpipe and 3.5 fuel pressure regulator and go straight to Stage 3! Not only will you get more power, but you will spool up a lot faster due to the downpipe. The best part is that your gas mileage will actually increase with these mods, as long as you aren't flooring it all the time.

They also sell an open air intake kit that will "unmute" your turbo, so you can hear it spooling up and making a "tschh" sound when you it lets off. If you don't like that sound, then this snorkel will be a great and cheap upgrade as well, and is more than capable of feeding your car at stage 3. If you do go the snorkel route, keep the stock filter, rather than going aftermarket (i.e. K&N and similar). They just updated the design of it so that it flows better, while being safer than most aftermarket options.
Old 9th February 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1998 95 2.3 lpt se nordic tuning

i have nordic stage 3 , you won't be disapointed honestly. well worth the money
Old 9th February 2006
SaabNut!

Thanks stipud, that sounds like a plan. I dont know if the funds are going to allow for an immediate stage 3 upgrade, but I would love to do it tomorrow.

The snorkel also seems like a good ide. I was a little worried about taking in water with an open air intake, but that snorkel would be perfect.
Old 9th February 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+

Water won't be a problem if you make a simple splashguard out of sheet metal, or you can even cut it out of the stock airbox if you don't want to keep it. The sound is pretty cool, but it's not everyone's cup of tea... certainly not for someone who doesn't want to be noticed.

If you decide to go stage 2 now, and 3 later, you can get your ECU reflashed with stage 3 software for $243, instead of paying $911 again. Still, if you plan to do it in the near future, you can save yourself $243 by going to stage 3 software right off the bat. You can upgrade the parts without changing the ECU, and you should even get a noticable boost from the parts alone, especially from the downpipe. Once you have everything installed (save the fuel pressure regulator until you change the ECU), then get the Stage 3 software installed and enjoy your new missile.

At that point you will probably want to upgrade the brakes... stiffen suspension... hirsch bodykit... audiophile stereo.... Oh crap I'm dreaming again! Let me warn you, tuning is addictive as hell.
Old 9th February 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1998 95 2.3 lpt se nordic tuning

i did the brakes first before the tuning, then the handling with koni's. and then the stage 3 , all made vast improvements from standard now make 1 hell of a car
Old 9th February 2006
SaabNut!

Appreciate all the help guys. Another question. I have been looking at two different upgrade "kits". The Nordic one on genuinesaab.com and the stage 2 ppc on partsforsaabs.com. The ppc seems so much more convienent, but most people here seem to talk about the nordic system. The other thing is the ppc dosent seem to come in stage 3
Old 10th February 2006

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero Estate '02 Stg 3

If you have a look at the BSR site, you 'll notice that they include a ppc Stage 3, including a 3" downpipe, exhaust and intake: http://www.bsrab.se/products/n358/t30/

I've got the ppc kit (stage 1 that is) on my car and had no problems what so ever.
Old 10th February 2006
SaabNut!

Thanks Winter. What kind of gains are you seeing with the stage 1? Have you tried to change it back to the orginal settings? I was thinking about that, because where I live (MA, USA) the emissions can be pretty strict, and being able to return to factory settings on a whim would be great.
Old 10th February 2006

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero Estate '02 Stg 3

Well, I feel a stronger boost starting from 3000rpm and it goes on to 5500 rpm! I like it very much, because I do a lot of highways. If I floor it in 4th I can reach 200km/h....
I don't feel much more torque (they claim 434Nm) but that's maybe because the Aero already has plenty of it.
I have not yet tuned it back to the standard settings, but I don't think that the emissions will be that bad, the T7 is very very clean, even when it's tuned.
The install is deadeasy, just plug it in, you won't have to pay for those extra costs.
Old 10th February 2006
SaabNut!

That sounds great to me. I also do alot of highway driving, so a boost at that range will be HUGE! I would assume that I would get more of a torque boost because my car isnt an Aero. Thanks for all the help. I think that I will be purchasing the stage two kit in the next month or two so I will keep everyone posted on how its going. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 10th February 2006
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully9-5
I would assume that I would get more of a torque boost because my car isnt an Aero.
If you mean your car has a wider margin of increase available as it starts off lower in torque and power than an Aero, then yes
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 10th February 2006
SaabNut!

Ya thats what I ment. I understand that an Aero with a stage 1 would obviously have more torque than my non Aero witha stage 1. I just thought that my increase would probaly be proportionatly more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement