Any one gone stainless?? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > Saab 9000 Workshop
Saab 9000 Workshop Saab 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-02-06
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                
Default Any one gone stainless??

I`ve got a bit of an exhaust blow & need a new rear box. Thinking of a full system as it`s such a pain to match up old & new, so is there anyone who`s gone for a stainless system & can recommend a supplier? Price would be interesting!!......
Thanks, Julian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-06
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: I miss my aero
Default Go custom

I've got some of it done. The cat-back is custom s/s 3 inch, with just a silencer at the back. Noise is normalish, if not a little deeper at idle, at wot it's a little louder, but no-where near ricer-territory. Soon is coming my 3 inch downpipe in aluminised, as my custom fabricator said they couldn't bend the corner right-out-of-the-turbo tight enough to clear the waterpump.

My cat-back was 360.
Old 05-02-06
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: Four Saab V6's and a 2.3 FTP

Try
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default...th=104_397_398

http://www.elkparts.com/index.php/cPath/23_425_799

http://www.powerflowexhausts.net/home.cfm
Old 05-02-06

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
Default Go for stainless!

I had a cat back system fitted to my '97 9000CD from Longlife exhausts. Cost 416 with a fancy rolled tailpipe. They make up the system on the car & their workmanship is top notch. Car is now smoother & returns 5 more MPG on a mixed run (motorway & town), 3mpg up for town use. Sounds a little throatier on tickover & isn't noticable on full throttle. I'm now saving up for a front pipe & cat as the cat is a tad rusty. Anyone else got his problem?

Longlife have franchises around the UK, I went to their head office in Gloucestershire. See www.exhausts.uk.com for more info.

BTW: The materials are best quality, some inferior systems use mild steel wire wool etc inside the silencers. Longlife use all stainless - be warned!
1989 Saab 900i Lux Auto
1984 Saab 900Gli
1984 Saab 900Gls
Old 09-02-06
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                

Apologies for the delay in thanking you for the info - work has gone mental & they expect the same of me ........
Had a quote parts only from SAAB - 350 ish for centre & rear box so at that price it`s possibly worth the stainless option! Finding the exact system seems difficult for a 2.3 Griffin as the `saloon` & Cs versions appear to differ - got a small local fitter to try & get a Walker or Bosal quote for me but it`s not in his reference books. Similar probs with eurocarparts.
Thanks for the links microcat & love the look of new motor - you sure know how to pick `em!

I`ll be on with it next week, & make a decision!
Old 09-02-06
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 base, 5-speed manual , 220,000
Question

anyone know somebody in the Northeast United States that would do a S/S Turbo back system?
Old 10-02-06
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                

I'm not in the northeast per say (acutally smack dab in the midwest) - but I have been fabricating a custom 3" turbo-back exhuast for myself, and I will probably try doing a stainless one this summer when I buy a better welder.

You can check out the exhaust I am making HERE and HERE

FYI, this is my first attempt fabricating a full cutsom exhaust - also the downpipe was a bit tough, however I have figured out a much better way of doing it that will result in a much cleaner looking DP!
Old 10-02-06
Saab Crazy

Also, this is the "prototype" i guess - and used my out-of-commission 1991 9000 for test fitting the entire system. I will make a jig so I will hopefully be able to make them quicker and easier in the future!
Old 11-02-06
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: sorted 9K Aero 1993, 9000R, 454 GMC

Hayard and Scott in Essex can fabricate a fantastic 3" s/s downpipe for 200quid. I have their stuff up front w/ and Abbott Racing back box (perfect condition at 11yrs old). Sound is moderate except on full boost, and build quality of this combination is great.
Old 11-02-06
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
Hayard and Scott in Essex can fabricate a fantastic 3" s/s downpipe for 200quid. I have their stuff up front w/ and Abbott Racing back box (perfect condition at 11yrs old). Sound is moderate except on full boost, and build quality of this combination is great.
correction Hayward & Scott, and they charged me 200 quid installed, which was much more attractive than the lower quality JT d/p.
Old 11-02-06
Saab Crazy

Question Abbot S/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
Is the Abbot system stainless?
Old 11-02-06
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlid
Is the Abbot system stainless?
Yes, and great quality. At least some were/are made by Hayward&Scott of the UK.
Old 12-02-06
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: HKS powered 92,9K CSE 2.3A T

I got a stainless jap backbox off a Mits Evo 7. A Kakimoto Racing one. I got it on last Monday afternoon, had the decat pipe on Tuesday afternoon, and getting the intermediate box done 2mro. I was a bit scared it would kill my ears, but surprisingly, it's quite quiet for a jap type backbox. I think if you go for those universal backboxes, they tend to be the annoy the neighbours type, whereas if it was specifically designed for a certain car, it would have been thoroughly tested for noise etc. Don't half shift now tho.
I think I got overboost shutoff on Friday night tho. I turned the EVC on for a tester. This was the first time I had turned it on after fitting the exhaust bits, so didn't know what to expect. It does drive as per normal, albeit much more responsive now with the boost controler not turned on. Is it supposed to feel like a rev limiter kicking in? Making it ' kangaroo ' if you put your foot down? If this is so, then I think if I redo my setup of the elec boost controller, it should sort it.
Also, I am thinking of purchasing a V-Tec controller. It's an Apexi SAFC. Apart from controlling the V-tec on Honda's, it can electronically adjust the air/fuel ratio going into the engine. It gets hardwired into the ecu loom.

http://www.ssgti.net/tech/apexi.htm

Thing is tho, how would I know how to get it set up to whatever needs I do need? If you get me. When DO I need more fuel or less fuel?? And I just read on another fitting instruction site, ' if you rev over 7000 rpm, then something something..' 7000 rpm?? Isn't that like the END of the rev meter on our cars!!!!
Old 12-02-06
Saab Crazy

Question Hello??

What are you talking about there is not Variable valve timing in a a 2.3 turbo how would a V-tyec controler work?? Why not just adjust from the O2 sensor wiring??
Old 13-02-06
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: HKS powered 92,9K CSE 2.3A T
Default We got VVT on our 2.3T's?? We DO??

Theres VVT on our 2.3 T's?? Can anyone else confirm this please. If they do, I didn't know they did. Anyway, I think the Honda V-TEC engines work differently to ours, cos there V-TEC thingy doesn't come on till about 5500 rpm, so the Apexi SAFC can control this, bringing it lower down the rev range or something like that, as well as electronically controlling the A/F ratio and such like.

Thing is tho, if I do get one of these, a tuning place will set it up on a rolling road, but how do they know when it will need more fuel or not. I read about the detonation an pre-detonation, and if it is slightly out of phase or even 1 drop too little or too much fuel, the engine could blow up and cry and whatnot.
Old 13-02-06
Saab Crazy

There is no variable valve timing (ie V-tec) on any production SAAB! You can buy all the ricer stuff you want...but I doubt it will work well with the stock ECU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement