I think I've a fuel problem - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th January 2006

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 Turbo Convertible 5-speed
Default I think I've a fuel problem

Okay, so now I've got great spark, but still no start. The car will start with starting fluid (which it wouldn't do before), but promptly stalls when you stop feeding it. What are the usual culprits. I'm thinking fuel pump, but are there other areas that usually fail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th January 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

open the boot and get someone to turn on ignition, you should hear the pump start, if not, there is a fuse, and a relay under rear seat. or could use direct battery to pump,this will tell you definately if you have fuel coming through or if the other two items previous,. do not use starter spray as this gets in the amm(between air filter and manifold) and can cause problems.
Old 27th January 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

Definately sounds like the fuel pump relay or the pump itself.
Old 27th January 2006

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900 Convertible
Default Had The Same Problem A Couple of Months Ago

I had the same issue about 2 months ago with my 1992 900 NA. Would turn over but not actually start up. Starting fluid sprayed directly into the throttle valve and it would fire right up until it burned it off.

I got some great advice from the board which included checking the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, NTC sensor, and AMM, and any fuses associated with these parts. You may be able to pull that thread up and see the advice I received. It was very specific and detailed. I followed all the advice but nothing seemed to help in my case.

I'm not exactly sure what ended being wrong with the car, but when I was fumbling around with the control unit (ECU?)to replace the fuel pump relay (located behind the carpet in the passenger side footwell-just in front of the door on mine) I double checked to make sure the connections were snug. It was about 4 degrees out that day and I realized it was too cold to be working a on a car, so I never actually replaced the fuel pump relay. Out of frustration, I tried to start the car before I went in and it fired right up. Idled smooth as glass. All I can think of is that snugging up the connections to the control unit solved the problem. Either that or the car fixed itself, because I certainly did nothing to fix it - other than snugging up those connections.

At any rate, maybe the suggestions I received from the board will help you track down the problem.

Sorry I can't of more help.
Old 27th January 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1989 Saab 900i 8v Auto 4 door

Try disconnecting the cold start valve plug. It isn't really needed unless you have REALLY cold temperatures, and mine has been disconnected for the last 3 months with no problems. I had a similar non-starting problem, the engine would turn over, there was a distinct smell of fuel, and the AA man disconnected the plug and hey presto, it worked! As you look at the engine from the front, the plug is on the right hand side, just behind the large inlet hose. There are other posts on here with a picture of it, The one below has a similar layout to yours, the plugis in the bottom l/h side of the image, on post No2........

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...old+start+plug
Old 28th January 2006

Thanks..These are all really good suggestions. I am going to head dow to the garage now and have a looksey.
Old 28th January 2006

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 900S

Same thing happened to me, as it turns out, the black wire going in to the fuel pump was broken, it had enough juice to make the fuel pump work, but i guess not enough to let it start. after i fixed the wire I havent had any problems.
Old 29th January 2006

Default Well it's the pump

I took the advice. Yanked the pump and hooked it right to the battery. Nothing. So I ordered one (insert only, the whole assembly is really pricey). Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement