Aluminum Trim above glovebox - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12th January 2006
JSU02 JSU02 is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
Location: Birmingham, AL
My Saabs: 06 93AERO JetBlack/Parch loaded totaled
Posts: 55
Default Aluminum Trim above glovebox

Somewhere on the internet I have seen pictures of a piece of aluminum trim that goes on the air bag trim piece above the glove box. Can this piece be ordered from SAAB, or does it come from other aftermarket retailers? Also, has anyone ever taken that trim piece off and sprayed it an aluminum color? If so, how does it look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12th January 2006
gjdavies's Avatar
gjdavies gjdavies is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
Location: Telford, Shropshire
My Saabs: Saab 9-3CV Aero TTiD 180
Posts: 1,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU02
Somewhere on the internet I have seen pictures of a piece of aluminum trim that goes on the air bag trim piece above the glove box. Can this piece be ordered from SAAB, or does it come from other aftermarket retailers? Also, has anyone ever taken that trim piece off and sprayed it an aluminum color? If so, how does it look?
Got mine from the dealer, but not got thee p/n handy.

Looks quite good and matches the door fairly well, although in reality it is just painted plastic. Does Have the word AIRBAG on it though, so make sure you geet the right one otherwise the word'll be upside down at best and won't fit at worst!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12th January 2006
schernov's Avatar
schernov schernov is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
Location: Chicago
My Saabs: 06 95 aero
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdavies
Got mine from the dealer, but not got thee p/n handy.

Looks quite good and matches the door fairly well, although in reality it is just painted plastic. Does Have the word AIRBAG on it though, so make sure you geet the right one otherwise the word'll be upside down at best and won't fit at worst!
How much did you pay? I got the part number off the international website, but US dealer cannot get it.
__________________
PLEASE.....PLEASE....READ FAQ BEFORE ASKING QUESIONS - there is a lot of usefull stuff there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12th January 2006
JSU02 JSU02 is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
Location: Birmingham, AL
My Saabs: 06 93AERO JetBlack/Parch loaded totaled
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
How much did you pay? I got the part number off the international website, but US dealer cannot get it.
Uh-oh! Thats not what I wanted to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12th January 2006
menikmati menikmati is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
Location: Boston, MA
My Saabs: 2006 9³ Aero SS
Posts: 198
Default

The Saab part number is:
32000590 (SS & SC non-lockable glovebox)
32000591 (Convertible lockable glovebox)


I called Saab customer service, as well as local Saab dealers, and all confirmed a $133 USD price and that the part is on back order (i.e., not available).

The price seems extremely high, especially if gjdavies note that the part is actually painted plastic is true. It would still be a nice addition, though!

Here are a couple vague photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GloveBoxLine-32000591.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	3926   Click image for larger version

Name:	93_aero_int6_2006.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	3927  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12th January 2006
93Linear 93Linear is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
Location: Virginia
My Saabs: Now: 2006 Silver 9-3 Aero 6M Sport Sedan
Posts: 1,170
Default

As far as I know, this part comes from Hirsch ... only ever seen it offered as part of their Interior Trim Set, (may have to click English & set some dropdowns ... not sure how much is stored in cookies on my machine) which includes the trim piece you are talking about & their hand-stitched leather instrument panel surround (where all the smooth black plastic is now around guage pod, head unit, etc.)

That kit prices out at 595 Euro ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12th January 2006
schernov's Avatar
schernov schernov is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
Location: Chicago
My Saabs: 06 95 aero
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati
The Saab part number is:
32000590 (SS & SC non-lockable glovebox)
32000591 (Convertible lockable glovebox)

I called Saab customer service, as well as local Saab dealers, and all confirmed a $133 USD price and that the part is on back order (i.e., not available).

The price seems extremely high, especially if gjdavies note that the part is actually painted plastic is true. It would still be a nice addition, though!

Here are a couple vague photos...
how do you install it? does it just snap on top of the stock balck strip?
__________________
PLEASE.....PLEASE....READ FAQ BEFORE ASKING QUESIONS - there is a lot of usefull stuff there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 13th January 2006
gjdavies's Avatar
gjdavies gjdavies is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
Location: Telford, Shropshire
My Saabs: Saab 9-3CV Aero TTiD 180
Posts: 1,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Linear
As far as I know, this part comes from Hirsch ... only ever seen it offered as part of their Interior Trim Set, (may have to click English & set some dropdowns ... not sure how much is stored in cookies on my machine) which includes the trim piece you are talking about & their hand-stitched leather instrument panel surround (where all the smooth black plastic is now around guage pod, head unit, etc.)

That kit prices out at 595 Euro ...
Not true unfortunately, if it was a Hirsch part would be better quality.........

The box came with GM all over it and saab installation instructions.

Price was about 79 GBP iirc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 13th January 2006
Bladey's Avatar
Bladey Bladey is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
Location: Leicester UK
My Saabs: 9-3 Aero Hirsch
Posts: 563
Default

it all looks nice.. until you touch it i really wish it was all ally in there and not plagy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 13th January 2006
93t's Avatar
93t 93t is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
Location: Sweden
My Saabs: 9-3 SC Aero 2006
Posts: 547
Default

Here´s mine, I really like it, this is how the Aero should look like!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 13th January 2006
schernov's Avatar
schernov schernov is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
Location: Chicago
My Saabs: 06 95 aero
Posts: 1,149
Default

how did you install it?
__________________
PLEASE.....PLEASE....READ FAQ BEFORE ASKING QUESIONS - there is a lot of usefull stuff there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 13th January 2006
JSU02 JSU02 is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
Location: Birmingham, AL
My Saabs: 06 93AERO JetBlack/Parch loaded totaled
Posts: 55
Default

VERY SHARP 93t !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 14th January 2006
93t's Avatar
93t 93t is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
Location: Sweden
My Saabs: 9-3 SC Aero 2006
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schernov
how did you install it?

You have to remove the entire glovebox, I think its 5 or 6 torx screws, then the trim is fastened with metal reatainers on the back and one torx screw (size 25) behind the locking mechanism on the trim.

Pretty easy to do, took me about 20 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 14th January 2006
menikmati menikmati is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
Location: Boston, MA
My Saabs: 2006 9³ Aero SS
Posts: 198
Thumbs up Maybe for MY2007?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93t
Here´s mine, I really like it, this is how the Aero should look like!
Looks great! Wanna bet that Saab adds this to the MY2007 9-3 Aero line?! (Gotta hold something back for next year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 14th January 2006
SeanArc SeanArc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
Location: North Haven, CT
My Saabs: '03 Arc, BSR stage 2
Posts: 173
Default

im thinkin about taking my stock trim off and painting it aluminum silver...

id prob do a test on another piece of black plastice first to make sure it will match the other silver metal accents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 14th January 2006
gjdavies's Avatar
gjdavies gjdavies is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
Location: Telford, Shropshire
My Saabs: Saab 9-3CV Aero TTiD 180
Posts: 1,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanArc
im thinkin about taking my stock trim off and painting it aluminum silver...

id prob do a test on another piece of black plastice first to make sure it will match the other silver metal accents
You'll need to strip the soft-touch plastic off first somehow.......should be easy enough, enough people here have had peeling problems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 15th January 2006
93t's Avatar
93t 93t is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
Location: Sweden
My Saabs: 9-3 SC Aero 2006
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdavies
You'll need to strip the soft-touch plastic off first somehow.......should be easy enough, enough people here have had peeling problems!

Even tough, it doesnt look good with the "airbag" marking on the right when painting over, it looks thick and unnatural.

The airbag marking on the Hirsch trim is "stamped" on afterwords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 15th January 2006
gjdavies's Avatar
gjdavies gjdavies is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
Location: Telford, Shropshire
My Saabs: Saab 9-3CV Aero TTiD 180
Posts: 1,817
Default

Probably worth sanding the original marking off before painting........ Then it'll be nice and smooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 15th January 2006
USAF - 1 USAF - 1 is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
Location: San Fracisco Bay Area, CA, USA
My Saabs: 04 9-3 SS Aero
Posts: 51
Default

Is anyone aware of any dealer that can get the Hirsch products in the US? Why can't any US dealers get this stuff? Every other car manufacturer sells modifications and upgrade stuff, why doesnt Saab USA?

Does anyone know of someone in the San Francisco Bay Area that will wrap that dashboard piece in leather like the Hirsch dash?

Don't you think saab could put these upgrades as standard on the Aero? $500 for a leather dash and aluminum trim doesn't seem like much for a $40,000 car. How do you expect to compete with Audi/BMW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 1st June 2006
craziefro craziefro is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
Location: United States Ohio
My Saabs: 1999 BMW 323is
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati
The Saab part number is:
32000590 (SS & SC non-lockable glovebox)
32000591 (Convertible lockable glovebox)


I called Saab customer service, as well as local Saab dealers, and all confirmed a $133 USD price and that the part is on back order (i.e., not available).

The price seems extremely high, especially if gjdavies note that the part is actually painted plastic is true. It would still be a nice addition, though!

Here are a couple vague photos...
What kind of seats are these, they look really comfortable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.