What shocks should I use? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th January 2006

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900se Convertible Stage IV
Default What shocks should I use?

Hello,
I have a 1995 900se. I've lowered the car with B&G Sport Springs 1.5". I made the mistake of purchasing a set of KYBs with the springs. The KYBs cannot handle these springs and provide no dampening. On the highway or on anything other than perfect road conditions, the car bounces, especially in the front, alot. Very unsafe! I know a set of Koni Sports would correct this but the price tag is tough to swallow. Bilstein does not make a sport shock for 1995 only a Heavy Duty Shock. My question: has anyone had any success,after lowering the car, with a set of shocks other than Konis? Maybe the HD Bilsteins? Maybe some other brand with a not so heavy price tag? I would like tha car to hold the road like it should but I'm not racing it on a track. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
Paul B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th January 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

Hi Paul,

I've heard of other folks having the same problem as you, but part of it might be due to the need for the shock/springs to settle. I'm running B+G's with Konis and they were really harsh for the first two or three months. (I was only using the car a couple of times a week...)

With mine, the rears were really jouncy. After a while the springs settled and there's much less jounce.

If it doesn't go away, then you might want to consider the Bilsteins....
Old 11th January 2006
Vendor

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: JZWTUNING.COM 10 Sec Saabs

This is interesting, I have a ng1995set... I just bought Voxtland springs and have kyb shocks to go with it... My buddie has this set-up and I rode in his car and thought it felt great, cornered like a go-cart... He did say there was some bouncyness on rough roads... I am worried now and wonder if I should re-think my kyb choice??? I have found the sport and heavy duty Bilsteins for my car???

I do not want to be bouncy at 125mph!!! Maybe I need to re-think this....
The sport bilsteins are for non lowering and a oem replacement rated shock... The heavy duty Bilsteins are listed as more performance oriented... Try shox.com, they have both listed....

John
Old 11th January 2006

The KYB CANNOT dampen your after market springs. They are a stock shock replacement. They never informed me of this at shox.com! Maybe they are unaware. If I cannot find a shock to handle these springs, I will be forced to go with the Koni Sports. That's what credit cards are for I guess!! I am hoping someone will tell me they installed Bilstein HDs and they are great but it's not looking that way. Bilstein does not make a sport shock for NGs.
Old 11th January 2006
Vendor

Yes they do... I just looked at em on shox.com.... They have the bilstein touring class, oem replacement shocks and the hd bilsteins for performance and lowered springs... Everyone in my area has done the hd bilsteins and claim they are great... They are 409.00 instead of 593.00 for Koni...

My Springs say that for up to 40mm drop, stock oem shocks can be used, but may be slightly bouncy... My drop is 35mm, so the stock oem shocks would work, but the question is what is too bouncy???

Check the site agian, they have both touring class and heavy duty Bilsteins for a ng1995se...
John
Old 11th January 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

Bilstein HDs might be your best bet. There are are a couple of guys on the board who are running lowering springs with those shocks. IIRC, they reported similar symptoms to what I saw with the Konis: initial stiffness then the car seemed to settle down.
Old 11th January 2006

Thank's John! I will check the site for the Bilsteins or better yet talk to one of their Techs. On my car, the KYBs are not enough.
Old 11th January 2006
Vendor

Thanks P... That is what I wanted to hear... I have not received much feedback on which ones to use and what kind of problems and or improvement each of the shocks we listed would be to my car... You have decided it for me, I am going to take back the Kyb's I just bought and wait until I can afford the Bilsteins....

I only want to do this job once!!!
Old 11th January 2006
saabazz

John,

What wheel size are using? I'm running Bilstiens Sports/ intrax combo and the characteristics change sgnificantly one i moved from 15's in to 17's. The ride is much harsh but i turn on dime regardless of speed.

I would save for the Koni's or find another online source to purchase front and rears seperatly.

You obviously spent a large amount of money for your powerplant, i would advice against go cheap on suspension/safety items.
Old 11th January 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

Do it once and do it right-install Koni's and be done with it. But bilstien's are great shocks as well and cheaper.
Old 11th January 2006
Vendor

Thanks guys, I am still going back and forth on this, now Koni or Bilstein... I see many guys use the Bilsteins, even Franks ng900 with tdo4-19t and 360bph has Bilsteins on it... The konis would be nice because I could turn em down for track use and then soften for road trips... I may have to do Koni up front and then kyb on the back until I can afford koni for rear... I have been quoted 325.00 just for front koni inserts!!! That is steep!!! bilsteins for 125.00ea up front...

Which way do I go, which way do I go???

John
Old 11th January 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2000 Aero wagon (5spd), 1999 9-5 (5spd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Z Williams
Thanks guys, I am still going back and forth on this, now Koni or Bilstein... I see many guys use the Bilsteins, even Franks ng900 with tdo4-19t and 360bph has Bilsteins on it... The konis would be nice because I could turn em down for track use and then soften for road trips... I may have to do Koni up front and then kyb on the back until I can afford koni for rear... I have been quoted 325.00 just for front koni inserts!!! That is steep!!! bilsteins for 125.00ea up front...

Which way do I go, which way do I go???

John
I've been running bilstein sports in the rear on my 99' 9-3 for a few months, and I just called today to get the fronts installed on Monday (along with new strut mounts -- Going to be a pricey Monday...). In the rear, they made a huge difference, the rear sticks right to the ground. My car is not lowered, and running 16's. It's an SE, so it has the SE springs as well.

What's this talk of HD being more performance? THe Bilstein sports are 30% stiffer than the HD's. It goes (softer -> harder): touring, HD, Sport.

Peace,
bny
Old 11th January 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2003                                                

I'm not sure which Bilsteins mine are but they are great they are just stiff enough.I think they are HD's-the tube and piston part are very thick and I think they are gas shocks-no fluid inside.I had to leave out my bump stops when I putem in-they would not fit.

They ride nice I likem.
Old 12th January 2006
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtide
I've been running bilstein sports in the rear on my 99' 9-3 for a few months, and I just called today to get the fronts installed on Monday (along with new strut mounts -- Going to be a pricey Monday...). In the rear, they made a huge difference, the rear sticks right to the ground. My car is not lowered, and running 16's. It's an SE, so it has the SE springs as well.

What's this talk of HD being more performance? THe Bilstein sports are 30% stiffer than the HD's. It goes (softer -> harder): touring, HD, Sport.

Peace,
bny
I only knew about the touring class and heavy duty... Touring class are listed as oem replacement and 50.00 bucks cheaper than the heavy duty Bilsteins... The heavy duty is designed for the lower spring rate and the performance shock to go with the performance spring. Touring class is oem rated and for stock application... I thought touring class and sport were the same thing. I only see the two I mentioned on shox.com
John
Old 12th January 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 MSM #3990 Ex:1999 9-3 SE

I would highly reccomend bilstein sports. My bro has been running a USED set for over 2 years, w/o fail or dissapointment. I unfortunately made the mistake of the kybs also I havent had any real bouncing though. I had my 18's for about 6 months before i got the kybs/vogtlands, so I avoid the bumpy road to begin with btw- I recomend the vogtlands, good spring and good price.
Old 12th January 2006
Vendor

Can you tell me how the ride is with the kyb's??? They are at such a good price, I am willing to live with a little bouncyness, and save 200-400 bucks

Thanks, John
Old 12th January 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2000 Aero wagon (5spd), 1999 9-5 (5spd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Z Williams
Can you tell me how the ride is with the kyb's??? They are at such a good price, I am willing to live with a little bouncyness, and save 200-400 bucks

Thanks, John
John,

I've never driven a car w/ KYB's. However, like you, I've heard of bouncing & quicker 'sagtime' for that brand.

I ask you this: How much have you dumped into your car making it go fast? (Stage 5... Big $$ no doubt) Would you skimp on a claimed 'inferior product' for the engine/power upgrades? No, I really doubt you would...

But you're willing to *chance* putting an inferior product that *supports* all your newfound power to save $200-$400? I'm sure you see my point.

After Monday, I'll have bilstein sports all around, poly bushings, new engine mounts, and a fully-restored brake system (Stock SE brakes mind you -- Greenstuff coming in springtime). Shortly, I hope, I will be getting the 22mm rear-ARB. I already have an SE, hence the SE front bar. Yes, It *really sucks* to spend this money/time on suspension before (m)any power increases. (I've installed a 3" airbox mod & a simple not-pushing-the-limits MBC)...

However, the car is handling very well for it's power, and come springtime, when I *do* finally splurge on a stage 3 -- Everything will be in-sync and I won't have to worry.

I realize that suspension components may not be as 'fun' for many, however, it really is, in my mind, a safety thing (+controllable power -- If you have all that power, but you can't use it cause the car is bouncing / swaying all over the place, what's the point of all the power? Bragging rights?)

This isn't a 'bag' at you, you get enough of that already. It's more a plea: Please spend some of that money on your suspension components, for your safety & comfort -- I'm really sure you won't be let down & you *may* be regretting getting an inferior product...

Peace,
back to painting,
bny
Old 12th January 2006
Vendor

Thanks for the reply, I hear what you are saying and I know you are right and I should do it right and do it once... My buddy feels the kyb's, although they do have some bouncyness on rough roads, are in no way unsafe. He feels they handle very well and has not noticed any dampening issues, except on cobble stone roads and rough pot-hole filled horrible roads... I asked him about speed and safety and he felt this was not the issue as his car handles nice and is solid in his opinion at speed and in the corners, its only when the roads are ruff and he is not pushing it then, that he feels the dampeing is not up to par... So his opinion is some problems on ruff roads, but not a problem at all at high speeds and high speed cornering when the roads are decent...

I do hear you though and if money was not a factor, would be installing Koni shocks no questions asked.... I need to install my new patience meeter on my head and then I should be ok Thanks for the input,
John
Old 12th January 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 MSM #3990 Ex:1999 9-3 SE

Im satisfied with them, but not happy with them... My first choice (over the kybs and vogtlands) was the eibach kit, with eibachs springs and a rebadged version of a nice set of shocks (I *think* bilstein). The combo have really sucked when i didnt have the clamp and brace ... patience grasshopper
Old 16th January 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: gone: '01 9-5 2.3t, 1997 900 SE turbo

No way, no how are the KYB's stock replacements. They are MUCH firmer. Stock Sachs/Boge are downright creamy compared to the KYBs. KYB's were meant to be a JDM alternative to "normal" Bilsteins. I never went w/ the upgraded springs on my 97SET for the main reason that the KYB's made it so firm, I knew uprated springs would make it even more so. And with my 100+ miles of commuting a day, my own "shock absorber" would have been cursing me. It's a shame the 900 didn't get the 9-5s suspension magic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement