GM cuts price tag, but not on SAABs - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th January 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2002                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 8v N/A & '88 900 SPG, Both 5 spd
Default GM cuts price tag, but not on SAABs

So, I was reading an article about how GM is cutting their retail price and got excited. BUT, not for Saturn, Hummer, or Saab.

Grrrrr

Here's the article . . .

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...110&ID=5405617
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th January 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: '85 900T, 2005 9-5 Arc SportWagon

I'd have to guess that there are business school graduates employed by GM who have calculated that SAAB will be more profitable with higher prices but lower sales than with lower prices and higher sales.

MSOEMiller: have you gone to the L.A. Auto Show this year? Check out how crowded the Hummer and Cadillac booths which border the SAAB booth are, then contrast that traffic with that in the SAAB booth. It's sad, really.
Old 10th January 2006

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Jeep Commander Limited//2004 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Gripen
I'd have to guess that there are business school graduates employed by GM who have calculated that SAAB will be more profitable with higher prices but lower sales than with lower prices and higher sales.

MSOEMiller: have you gone to the L.A. Auto Show this year? Check out how crowded the Hummer and Cadillac booths which border the SAAB booth are, then contrast that traffic with that in the SAAB booth. It's sad, really.
The 9-5 has gone down in price compared to the '05. If you got an '05 loaded you paid around 48k (with navi). The '06 tops out at about 43k.
Old 10th January 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlflyboy
The 9-5 has gone down in price compared to the '05. If you got an '05 loaded you paid around 48k (with navi). The '06 tops out at about 43k.
It's too bad here in the States the 9-5 isn't as popular as the 9-3. At the auto show I overheard an older middle-aged woman sitting in the backseat of a 9-5 sedan say, "they changed some things, but not enough. It looks like a Volkswagen". Though she (and others I overheard) raved about the comfort of the seats. They didn't even have an example of the 9-5 wagon at the show for people to sit in. The only example of the wagon was the BioPower one on the turntable. If I wasn't a SAAB afficianado, I'd think that the wagon is only available as the BioPower concept variant after attending the show.
Old 11th January 2006

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 SC

I went to the auto show on Saturday. And, yes, there wasn't much of a crowd at the Saab area, and most of them were looking at the convertibles. I was told by the Saab rep (very tall, thin guy, actually from Sweden) that the 20th anniversary convertible is nothing more than different paint, rims, and blue stripe on the seats, all for $2000 more than the regular Aero. Not even special badging!

The rep also said Saab sold out of the biopower 9-5's in Europe immediately, but GM is supposedly planning to make biopower versions for the other Saabs, including the V6. We'll see...
Old 11th January 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjns
I went to the auto show on Saturday. And, yes, there wasn't much of a crowd at the Saab area, and most of them were looking at the convertibles. I was told by the Saab rep (very tall, thin guy, actually from Sweden) that the 20th anniversary convertible is nothing more than different paint, rims, and blue stripe on the seats, all for $2000 more than the regular Aero. Not even special badging!

The rep also said Saab sold out of the biopower 9-5's in Europe immediately, but GM is supposedly planning to make biopower versions for the other Saabs, including the V6. We'll see...
I saw the guy you're referring to. I've seen him in the SAAB booth in years past too. He's tall, thin, angular, looks like a model. The only way the guy could be more Swedish is if he were blonde!

Doesn't sound like he's a very good salesman if he's bagging on the product though!

Did you find it disturbing the lack of attention the BioPower SAAB was getting? Or the lack of information on it?
Old 11th January 2006

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Gripen
Doesn't sound like he's a very good salesman if he's bagging on the product though!

Did you find it disturbing the lack of attention the BioPower SAAB was getting? Or the lack of information on it?
I don't think he was bagging on the car. I asked him what the difference was, being a special edition, and he was honest.

As far as the BioPower, it didn't seem like most people even knew what it meant. Here was a wagon with a giant green and white decal on the doors with no one to "present" it like other concepts do. There wasn't any sign or literature next to the car to explain what it was either. The rep actually seemed to know quite a bit about it as we asked questions about the BioPower and Hirsch.
Old 12th January 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjns
As far as the BioPower, it didn't seem like most people even knew what it meant. Here was a wagon with a giant green and white decal on the doors with no one to "present" it like other concepts do. There wasn't any sign or literature next to the car to explain what it was either. The rep actually seemed to know quite a bit about it as we asked questions about the BioPower and Hirsch.
Actually, there was a little plaque in front of it which explained what it is. It was hard to see and I missed it the first time around myself. When I found it I took a photo of it. It's still in my camera. I don't have my own website to upload the photo to. Does anyone know of some site where I can upload some pictures from the show to (for free)?

I agree on the lack of presentation. Just a shame. I mean, what's the point of the thing then? At least explain to people what it is and why they should want one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement