Finally picked up my 85 T16!! Few boost questions. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th December 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1985 900 16V Turbo
Default Finally picked up my 85 T16!! Few boost questions.

Well, the previous owner told me he's been putting 87 in the car, so when I first drove it, was a good way to "test" the APC...

Now I'm not exactly sure on the workings of the APC, but it went a little bit like this.

Accelerating in 3rd gear, the boost would kick in, midway in yellow, then die down a little bit... just felt like it was dropping a tad bit, then maybe later on it would kick back in. By 4500-5000 the boost would drop off. I can assume this is just because its having a hard time breathing with a 100 percent stock intake and a old dirty cat. converter.

So I basicly emptied the tank out (ran until the light came on) then filled it with BP 93+.

Well, didn't change the boost at all. Now, (and even before) it seems to hesitate slightly under boost at WOT. Just like chugging. Engine runs very smooth, but momentary split second dips in power.

I have yet to do a tune up, and this may cure my problem... but maybe this is a common problem..

Doing plugs, distributor cap and rotor button, and will do wires in 2 weeks. Also changing air filter, and oil/filter change.

If it doesn't go away after this, then I can further diagnose it.

Seems like the car is slower than my bone stock (except gutted catalytic converter) 4 door 8V N/A!!! Now 4th and 5th are definately faster in the T16 thanks to the boost, but 2nd and 3rd seem slower than my N/A.

We'll see after the tune up!

Just for the heck of it... here's some pics of my new baby!

http://www.rallyboy.com/index.php?mo...wgall&gid=8&p=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th December 2005
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                

Congrats.. Now that you have the Car.. Start looking at the Wiring Harness 85's hads the dissoilving wiring Insulation problem. There are Few survivors.
Check ALL wires anywhere there is heat: engine compartment and ignition switch area (catalyticheats this area) FIX any you find.. immediately.
No waiting!
On your boost issue, Base boost (fail safe mode) is middle of yellow (8 ish psi), with a healthy OEM engine /system you should be boosting to space between yellow and red on your dash gauge... about 10/11 psi
Bentley or Townsend Site has a comprehensive Boost diagnosis procedure.. Follow it , to the Letter.. It works !

Last edited by Basre; 24th December 2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 24th December 2005
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1978 99T in black; 1983 99GL in Beige

A quick note on your plug wires - are they bougiecords? If so, don't change them unless you definitely find a problem. They are extremely good leads and are hard to beat.
Old 24th December 2005
Banned

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: The Black Night, 900T

This may help

After years of poodling around some cars gets gummy and stiff, they basically need a good long thrash on a free way, years of slow driving can makes engines sticky, so maybe all you need is a good long drive
Old 24th December 2005
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase
A quick note on your plug wires - are they bougiecords? If so, don't change them unless you definitely find a problem. They are extremely good leads and are hard to beat.
No, unfortunately... they are cheap o advance auto wires... I however will be changing them with bougiecords from saabsite.com
Old 24th December 2005
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basre
Congrats.. Now that you have the Car.. Start looking at the Wiring Harness 85's hads the dissoilving wiring Insulation problem. There are Few survivors.
Check ALL wires anywhere there is heat: engine compartment and ignition switch area (catalyticheats this area) FIX any you find.. immediately.
No waiting!
On your boost issue, Base boost (fail safe mode) is middle of yellow (8 ish psi), with a healthy OEM engine /system you should be boosting to space between yellow and red on your dash gauge... about 10/11 psi
Bentley or Townsend Site has a comprehensive Boost diagnosis procedure.. Follow it , to the Letter.. It works !

Oh great... that's good news

I guess I can start that inspection today. Merry Christmas

Now, last night after a good LONG drive with alot of boosting with the new premium fuel... the manifold and turbo were glowing!!! Now I've seen modified turbocharged cars do this, but not a stock turbocharged car. This leads me to believe that maybe the catalytic converter is clogged a bit?
Old 24th December 2005
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Nah a hard driven 900 turbo will do that.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 24th December 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2002                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t
Nah a hard driven 900 turbo will do that.
you can get it glowing to red at night running it up to maximum speed, the entire manifold and turbo will glow BRIGHT red, even the downpipe will glow red too.

this is typical of any stock turbo car.
Old 24th December 2005
SaabNut!

Hehe...

sure does, another night of hard driving, and man o man was that puppy glowing!!!!

I was trying to see if my cat was clogged, if it was glowing as well, then it was more than likely clogged... down pip was red, but it faded before it got to the cat...

I think I have a fuel problem... replacing the filter soon... Also installing a knock LED

See this thread for details:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=hesitation

(my post is at the bottom)
Old 27th December 2005
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

Base boost is around 5PSI, not 8.

A stock T16 will have a glowing manifold when it's run for a long period at high speed, but you should inspect the catalytic converter too. You don't know that the cat isn't contributing to the glowing manifold and poor performance.
Advertisement