Horrible things people at work do to their cars. - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge
The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-12-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 2.0T
Default Horrible things people at work do to their cars.

I guess this could be everything from ricing it, to not washing their 100k mercedes for 4 months.

My inspiration for today's topic is a gentleman here at work who drives an Infinity G35( although it now says skyline on the back ). Every day around 3pm, I either see him, or hear him leave the parking lot. He gets in his car, drives about 50 feet to the parking lot entrance, and then proceeds to floor it in 1st gear, and then lay off in second since the speed limit of the road is only 35. From the sound of the car, you can definitely tell he is getting very close to redline in first gear. What a complete fool.

It's times like these that I hate working with a bunch of physicians and academics. They generally drive very nice cars, but have zero knowledge of them. A guy here buys a new E500 AMG. So of course I ask about the horsepower, torque, etc. Guy has no clue. The best though was the 911 turbo that looked like it had not been washed in months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 900T16/99GL CC/ 95V4/900T8/99Turbo/96cab

What a shame !!!

Intellectuel doesn t mint intelligent
And if they meet a girl I guess they would sit her on the Roof
Ask them to give us their cars because walking is healthy
Old 01-12-05

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04' 9-3 Linear 2.0t

Ohh yeah I hear you, nothing quite that extreme but I one of my co-workers owned a 2003 BMW M3 and within about a month his poor maintenance really wore the car down. From things so simple as his license plate hanging by like one bolt and at times would swing down, to replacing the original tires with rims with "spinner" hub caps that might I add apparently after a month in MN if there not washed. Well the salt does its best. Lots of other stuff just a few there I mentioned he sold it after 3 months and than quit the job. Apparently his mommy and daddy buying him a car made him feel he didnít need to take care of it. Or Keep a job.
Old 02-12-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: '04 Saab 9-3 Linear MT

i think most of us here are "car guys". let's not forget MOST people out there aren't. money can buy nice cars, as shown in your parking lot, but if you're not a car guy, you're probably not going to take care of it as well. so be it...right? i don't criticize other people for not washing their cars, no matter how much it may cost (within reason of course). as far as the g35 with the skyline lettering...i believe the U.S. version of the g35 is actually called the skyline in japan...so there is some rhyme and reason behind it (he may actually be a little more of a car guy than you think). and as far as him peeling out of the parking lot...i wouldn't ever do that unless my car is warmed up, which i doubt his car is if he drove from his parking space to the exit...but generally speaking, there's nothing wrong with winding out your engine (within reason of course). i'm not sure i would be bouncing off the rev limiter, but then again, that's what that limiter is there for...to prevent damage...but you didn't even say he's hitting that cut off, so he's fine.

Last edited by Cojoroh; 02-12-05 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-12-05

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9≥ ARC 6 spd cosmic blue

Infinity G35 is Skyline 350 GT in Japan.
Old 02-12-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                

Many years ago when i worked in retail a guy pulled up on August 1st (when new reg was launched) in a 850 BMW deep blue Metalic with cream piped leather...totally beautiful..I asked him if i could sit in it which he agreed to he had owned the car for about 2 hours and the ash tray was full of used fags. The floor mats were soiled and it smelt of cigs, I told the guy that he didn't deserve the car and it was a shame that he was abusing it, He advised me that it was just a car and that it would valet up at the end of the day. Some people have a passion for cars and others not which i think is a great shame
Old 02-12-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIPEN
Infinity G35 is Skyline 350 GT in Japan.
I know I know. Sorry, I just think it's kinda corny thats all. And I guess what gets me is that someone takes the time to remove all the g35 badging and replace it with skyline badging. But yet they take the car, on a stone cold engine, and wind it out.
Old 02-12-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: '92 9000 2.3T CD, '95 9000 Aero

I heard of a Sales rep at a friends company who didn't know anything about cars never checked the oil or added any,they eventually ran their car with no oil till the engine seized, they did notice that the temperature guage was high and the car was making horrible juddering grinding noises, but thought it would work itself out . Result whole new engine on a 4 year old car, which they had to pay for .
I sold a Golf to a guy in his final year of a car mechanic course, it had a highish (150k) milage but the engine was really sweet, the oil pump failed on a 60 mile trip, low oil pressure warning light came on but he thought it would be ok till journeys end, result seized engine, it still pains me to think about this, I think he should be expelled from his course for crimes against cars
Old 02-12-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                

That reminds me of my sister when she used to live in Nottingham...she arrived at our house in her Metro after travelling the 60 miles and asked me if i could look at her car as it was making a clicking noise. I took it for a spin around the block and confirmed it was a rather strange clicking noise coming from the back of the car. When i got home i looked at the rear tyres and the drivers side one on the inside edge had worn down to the banding and as the wheel turned it was slapping the road...I put the spare on and got it sorted the next day..apparently it had been like that for over a week
Old 02-12-05
Super Moderator

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: gone: '01 9-5 2.3t, 1997 900 SE turbo

I sold my first car, an '82 BMW 320i to a 16 year old kid. Within 3-4 months, he had blown up the engine after sitting and watching the needle creep into the red during a particularly long wait in line at Burger King. I hate the way my wife takes care of our Honda but I guess a car can get cluttered w/ two kids and all their stuff in it constantly. Most peoples' ideas on correct car maintenance are so outdated, perhaps it's better they don't do it anyway.
Old 02-12-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: Silver 5dr Viggen

Yeah, it's rough when people abuse nice cars, but it's kinda fun to borrow the car and clean it up a bit for them. My roomate gets really excited when I empty the passenger floor of empty cig containers.

My friends little bro wondered why his 'brake' light would come on, only when going downhill. I was driving the car and decided to fill up the reservoir. VOILA! no more brake light.

His older brother asked why his engine made so much noise after a couple of days of driving the car. We checked his oil, and ended up adding 2.5 quarts (5 quart system) But alas, it was too late for a full oil tank to help much, and additives were still not enough. The engine sounded worse and worse over the next week, and now she sits. Car got oil changes every 5k miles, but tended to leak a bunch in between. Always check your oil!!! Even a brand new car can leak oil, and you really need that stuff, apparently

I consider myself a car guy, but I definately defer to the knowledge of smart people who are trying to help me. But sometimes I feel like a complete car genius doing the simplest of things
Old 02-12-05

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9000 Turbo (1987)

Whilst not being a total "petrol head" I do appreciate a nice car and have always looked after my own......not obsessive about the cosmetics but regular checks of fluids and pressures is very good preventative maintenance This is reinforced by the policy at my work (where I manage a fleet of 6 site vehicles) of drivers having to check and sign for oil, coolant andwasher levels and visual tyre checks before every trip (even the short ones)...failure to do so resulting in an "avoidable" mechanical failure leaves them liable to disciplinary action!
This doesn't apply to the staff's own cars (even leased company cars) which can result in the occasional "laugh or I'd cry moments" such as a secretary coming to ask me how to open the bonnet of her 4 year old Ford Fiesta as she had been unable to use her wipers properly without screen wash for the previous 2 days (this in the middle of February during a prolonged spell of typical Scottish, winter weather)!!
Old 03-12-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2002                                                
My Saabs: A lot. Currently none.

When I was working at a major financial company, a lot of my co-workers drove brand-new nice cars. They all looked like crap. My Saab had a new wax job every week, spotless wheels, an interior clean enough to eat a tomato off of, it was the nicest looking car in the lot. *sigh*
Old 03-12-05
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: None now

Um...

Blow them up as my co-worker did to his Eclipse.
Old 03-12-05

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 lpt

the people I work with are the typical 16 year old ricers. One kid had a 1998 neon that would "smoke my Saab" because it had a cold air intake and exhaust tip.

He took A/C vents off and painted them yellow, to match the fender he had painted with spray paint. (The hood is primer grey, the rest of the car is factory green.) He was nice enough to offer me with this awesome custom interior job, and told me his friend with the "11 second Ford Focus" had a spider body kit for 120 bucks.

I gave him the finger and said "$34,000 dollars *****." That was the end of that conversation.

Strangely, as much as these guys (and there is more than one) say they could leave me in the dust, they always want to drive my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement