Common oil leaks? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th November 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2005 saab 9-5
Default Common oil leaks?

Where are the most common places for oil leaks? - - 1995 900 SE 2.0 Turbo

I know in my car for example over the past few months I have noticed a few drops here and there (well everytime I park now)...looks like there are droplets coming off of the oil pan bolt, but there's oil all over the place underside areas of my car so I am having a hard time trying to isolate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th November 2005

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Primarily, the engine. It is full of the stuff.

OK, seriously. Valve (cam) cover gaskets are weak. Oil seepage there will eventually work its way down and cover everything. There is also a weak transmission shift linkage seal on our year that was eventually upgraded by Saab. Best thing to do is clean everywhere you can get to, engine and transmission. Use something like simple green, a bucket of hot water and a disposable stiff brush. You need to keep water away from the DI cassette. You can remove it first and triple bag and duct tape the connector too. Then you can pretty much hose it down with relative impunity. Once it is clean, check the engine every time you drive, top and bottom. Try to find out where any leak or leaks originate. Knowledge is power. The power to fix it.
Old 25th November 2005

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1994 900s 5 door manuel

Oil pan Gasket. Engine valve seals. You probably need to steam clean your engine to determine where its leaking. Least that's what my mechanic told me.
Old 26th November 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2005 saab 9-5

Makes sense, I'll give her a good scrub down
Old 26th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 06 9-3 2.0T

Be careful if you steam clean. A lot of times this can lead to premature bearing failure in the pulleys. The place that seems most comon that is not really a "problem" is from the oil drain plug. My drain plug always leaks a bit, but not enough to need to add oil between 4000mile changes. I do usually top up a bit at 2000 anyway. I know that even though the oil is dripping, or really just seeping a bit from the drain plug, it does get blown all around while driving.
Old 26th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-3 SE / 1972 MGB

If you have an oil leak from the drain plug, make sure you have the little copper compression washer on the drain plug. I know this is simple and you guys know this, but mine fell out while changing the oil, and I developed a little leak. Put the washer back in, and presto, no more leak.

Cheers
Old 27th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 06 9-3 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMedic_Saab
If you have an oil leak from the drain plug, make sure you have the little copper compression washer on the drain plug. I know this is simple and you guys know this, but mine fell out while changing the oil, and I developed a little leak. Put the washer back in, and presto, no more leak.

Cheers
I use a new one every change...still a leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement