SaabCentral Forums banner

SE or SE HOT?

701 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rush6432 
#1 ·
For the longest time I was baffled what the HOT acronym ment. Today I was delightfully enlightened that it stood for High Output Turbo. Now with the tantalizing realization that my 00' SE might posses the HOT, I am on a quest to find out. How can I find out if my car has it? Am I correct in believeing that the SE is the TD04 turbo and the HOT is the T25? Or is the SE the T25 and the HOT has an upgraded T25? Also, what is the performance gain associated with the HOT.

pardon my rambling.. but I would love to have the Garrett turbo in my car...My father worked on the Garrett turbine engines used on Learjets.

#3 ·
se has the t25. you should be able to tell easily. just look at the turbocharger compressor housing (silver aluminum part that has the intake pipe connected to it) and if it says garrett then its the T25, if not then its the td04. of course there are other ways to tell but this is the easiest i can think of off the top of my head

#5 ·
I think Adrian is right. There was a year when the H.O.T. was a separate SE option, I think in 99. The 00-02 SEs all have the go-fast stuff, though. And, yep, the H.O.T. post 2000 was the TD04....

MaseratiMike, the TD04 is made by Mitsubishi and replaced the smaller Garrett units used in the base 9-3. If you're interested in a turbo swap down the road, several guys have put in Garrett GT28s...The main problems with the Garretts is that the newer ball-bearing turbos aren't easily rebuildable. Once they go, they go.

#8 ·
MaseratiMike said:
Thanks for the info guys. boy do I feel like an idiot thinkin the T25 was the better turbo...;oops: How difficult would the swap be for the larger Garrett unit?
well shouldnt be very difficult. depending on which turbo you have to start with if you have the t25 like i did, then you could just get it rebuilt with a larger t28 exhaust wheel and super 60 compressor wheel (which i think the whole thing is just called a t28) non ball bearing. this way it would be bolt on just like the t25 is, and no worries about lines fitting and all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.