900 vs. 9000 suspesions - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5, 1997 900
Default 900 vs. 9000 suspesions

My wife has a 95 9000CSE and I have an 89 900 T16 vert. Man her car drives SO much better than mine. It handles better and is much smoother. They don't look too different dimentionally...so why is the 9000 so much better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th November 2005
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

The basic design of the 900 dates back to 1967, where the 9000 dates back only to 1985...

Also your 900 is a convertible and lacks a lot of rigidity a hardtop car has.

Also the 9000 is much newer and probably has notably less milage, so all the bushings and suspension parts aren't worn.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 13th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5, 1997 900

I've had an 89 4 door and an 85 hatch back, they all rode the same. My wife also had a 92 9000 which still rode better.
Old 14th November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: gone: '01 9-5 2.3t, 1997 900 SE turbo

I just got a 2001 9-5 (which still borrows a lot from the 9000) and the difference in handling between it and the NG (I know it's not a true 900 descendent) is incredible. Turns that I was too afraid to take at high speeds (even w/ stiffer shocks and beefed up rear axle) I take without even realizing how fast I am going in the 9-5. I don't know if it's the multilink rear, the heft, or the less sloppy front, but wow, big difference. I always worried about putting polys up front on the lower arms but on the 9-5, it has stamped one piece arms so maybe polys would have been great after all.
Old 14th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: '85 900T, 2005 9-5 Arc SportWagon

Do any of you former 900/9000 owners who now drive a SportSedan notice the difference of the ReAxs system?

Would that system have a bearing on the skidpad ratings of the 9-3SS? How can the ReAxs performance be quantitatively assessed (what metrics would show its advantage)?
Old 14th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2 x T8 specials & 2 cat D write offs

call me contentious (you wouldn't be the 1st ) but my T16 easily out-handles my 9000 n/a, despite being 11 years older. Even the missus' 900 SE n/a is far tighter round the bends than my 9000. Could be due to worn suspension or tyres - but it ain't
Old 14th November 2005
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Contagious, never
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 14th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: MY04 Hirsch 9-5 Aero 4-door auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrell
I just got a 2001 9-5 (which still borrows a lot from the 9000)
Not really.

The 9000 platform is the joint Saab/Lancia project dating from the early 1980's.

The 9-5 platform is based on a modified GM Opel/Vauxhall platform, similar to the GM900 and 9-3.
Old 14th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2 x T8 specials & 2 cat D write offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 9-5
Contagious, never
ere, don't blame me for yer spots, ducky
Old 14th November 2005

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropilot
Not really.

The 9000 platform is the joint Saab/Lancia project dating from the early 1980's.

The 9-5 platform is based on a modified GM Opel/Vauxhall platform, similar to the GM900 and 9-3.
we can blame Clarkson [or a badly informed researcher of his] for this myth.

As it goes [I'll almost feel the sigh of relief from 9-5 owners the world over] there's very little carry over from the 900 to 9-5 either.

The changes from Vectra A [new900 donor J-body] to Vectra B [9-5 donor body] are quite noticeable when you view from the underside.

Lots of ordinary part carry-over though, brake disc/calliper, abs sensors, hub bearings; but components that are key to vehicle dynamics do differ [quite noticably in front subframe and rear axle configuration]
1997 Fiat Punto 1.25 85hp
Old 14th November 2005

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                

Possibly the Mrs drives on smoother pavement at lower speeds and misses all those potholes you normal fall in to!!!. Kidding!!

Two different cars with two dramatically different suspensions and wheelbases. Having had both, the 9000 was smoother and large car like, while the 900 was nimble and much faster from the startup!!

A little something for everyone!!
Old 15th November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropilot
Not really.

That's right...Opps! New to the model-that's my excuse. Well, how in the world then is the 9-5 so much better handling and riding than the NG900? I just don't get it. But that's another thread...
Old 15th November 2005
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Your 9-5 does have a trunk, so that should give a dose of added rigidity. Plus Saab took a fair bit of flak on the 900, and tried to remedy that with "1300 improvements" 9-3, and that was around the time the 9-5 came out... and isn't the Vectra of 9-5 development a newer Vectra than that used on the 900 and original 9-3?
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 16th November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Is it the later Vectra or a tad larger car? I can't remember even though I just read all this stuff when I was considering buying one. Yeah, I haven't even ridden in a 9-3 so I dont know how much it was improved. I never thought my NG was THAT bad though. I'd say the 9-5 lpt feels about like a better handling, slightly bigger and faster Honda Accord (latest American version). The steering is so nice and bumps are damped SO WELL without giving you a wallowy feel. The 9-5 excels in broad sweepers that I thought my 900 was going to tip over on. I don't even mind the fact that my 9-5 has the SAME seats as my 900 given the fact that I am not tipped out of them as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement