UK number plate regulations - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900
Default UK number plate regulations

I'm fitting an LPG kit to the saab and want to fit a filler valve next to the numberplate.
Unfortunately my numberplate is slightly too big to allow this (by an inch or so) so i was wondering if i could fit a slightly smaller one to leave me space for the valve.

Ive been reading the DVLA guidelines, and just wanted to know if i have interpreted them correctly.

My current plate is a standard pre-sept 2001 spec one with letters are 57mm wide. (and the plate is 520mm long)

The spec for the post sept 2001 plates gives a letter size of 50mm - which would make the plate small enough (460mm long according to my calculations).

However, It also says that there is the 'euro plate', which has a GB symbol on it - which would loose me the extra space i wanted (the euro plate is 520mm long like my existing one). It does say that it is an 'option' though.

but I have never seen a new plate without the euro symbols on it. (they would be obviously smaller in width)

If i were to buy a new euro sytle plate, and then trim the euro symbol off the end (leaving the regulation 11mm of yellow at the edge) would this be legal?

I cant see any regulations about the overall size of the plate - so can't see why not but was wondering if anybody else knew anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's
Default licence plates

Tom, your prob best off popping down to your local MOT garage and asking them, half the cars on the road seem to be missing one or the other plates and i've never seen the police stop someone for it, i don't think they are really that bothered. When you go to get hte plate made up they should be able to advise you on the proper size, i asked last week about getting a shorter, 2 row plate last week, there was'nt any problem with it, maybe look at getting one like that.
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

I think it's the spacing between the plate's letters/digits that is key. If the letters/digits are spaced out by at least the minimum then I doubt you'd have a problem.

I don't think the police give a toss anyway - I see sooooo many Kev'd cars with blatantly illegal (and very tacky I might add) registration plates. Script typeface anyone?
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

I think i'm just going to do it anyway. By my interpretation of those regulations i can do it.
I can't find anywhere better for the filler to go, and on the back by the bumper should look quite tidy.

I'm planning to use the correct spacing and typeface - which is all the rules seem to cover.
If someone does kick up a stink i will either have to have the original plate velcro'd on so i can remove it to fill up or rig up some hinges for it!
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 3dr c900 T16RA, 9-5 Aero Estate

You could try going for a Japanese spaced plate (legal, though only on JDM cars ) and these are much shorter than standard UK plates.
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
You could try going for a Japanese spaced plate (legal, though only on JDM cars ) and these are much shorter than standard UK plates.
Whats a JDM car?
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market

The Japanese license plates are exactly the same size as a US plate, but a little more unique looking with all the Kanji characters on them. I wish they'd let us use European plates in the US. I had one made up with my Washington State license plate numbers on them, but still got a ticket.
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: My SAAB
Cool Here's an idea

I can't remember on which car it was, probably US but not recent.. Anyway the filler cap was behind the back number plate! The back number plate was hinged with a spring so that you would hold it down to fill up, put the cap back and the plate would pop back up into place.

Just an idea
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 93 Aero Convertible

Yep, US cars used to have the rear plate on a spring so you'd lift the plate and that's where you'd fill the car with gas.

They have pretty much stopped doing that because of liability issues with rear end collisions hitting the filler tube and the tank bursting into flames. Tanks are now enclosed within crossmembers of the frame or covered for protection.
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichSaab
Yep, US cars used to have the rear plate on a spring so you'd lift the plate and that's where you'd fill the car with gas.

They have pretty much stopped doing that because of liability issues with rear end collisions hitting the filler tube and the tank bursting into flames. Tanks are now enclosed within crossmembers of the frame or covered for protection.

Like exploding Ford Pinto's?

Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

Ooh, nice .
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
If you read those regulations i linked you are allowed to put non standard number plates on imported cars that dont have space for normal ones.

I could argue it came from sweden
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '84 99GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichSaab
C'mon Tom - already suggested that in our forum....... You know it makes sense. You can keep the standard plate and no-one will ever know!

Penguin45.
Old 3rd November 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                

Did you get the hinge look from the first generation Mini ? It allowed the number plate to be seen when driving with the boot open, this is a long time ago when policemen were over the age of 19 and didnt book you for the slightest misdemeanour!
Old 3rd November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 5 Red C900T16 Verts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMorgan
I can't remember on which car it was, probably US but not recent.. Anyway the filler cap was behind the back number plate! The back number plate was hinged with a spring so that you would hold it down to fill up, put the cap back and the plate would pop back up into place.

Just an idea
Get one from a 58 chevy impala! LOL

1/2 meter get a "piano" hinge and door closer spring. - Back to the future or "days of future past", as it may be.

Old 3rd November 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: My SAAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka
Get one from a 58 chevy impala! LOL

1/2 meter get a "piano" hinge and door closer spring. - Back to the future or "days of future past", as it may be.
You can find that at your local ships chandler
Old 3rd November 2005
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlach
Like exploding Ford Pinto's?

No, the Pinto had it's fuel filler on the driver's side rear quarter panel (you can see it in the pic).

It was GM that was best known for the hidden gas fillers, starting on the 1949 Cadillac (hidden behind tailight). They never really had any problems with fires with the design...
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement