Front Speakers - Infinity or Boston Acoustics? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which speakers? Let the people decide.
Infinity 3002cf 6 25.00%
Boston Acoustics S35 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st October 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0T Aero - Vtuner stage 0
Default Front Speakers - Infinity or Boston Acoustics?

I'm looking to upgrade the dash mounted 3.5" speakers and, after a little research, I have whittled my choice down to either:

Infinity 3002cf

Boston Acoustic S35

Does anyone have any experience with either of these speakers, or these two manufacturers?

BTW: I have the extra amp and door speakers fitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31st October 2005

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1987 Saab900i(wrecked)

infinity is great!!! boston is better than infinity!
Old 31st October 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: Curently: 06 9-5 Aero & 02 9-3 SE

I just picked up a pair of Infinities on eBay for a song. Look around an there are some good bargains to be found. I bought a pair of eclipse 3-1/2s for my daughter's 900 that sound good too.

I went with the Infinities because it is easy to upgrade the caps. I'm going to upgrade the stock caps with some better quality audio film caps whenever the fall maintenance work is finished.
Old 31st October 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: Silver 5dr Viggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munki
I'm looking to upgrade the dash mounted 3.5" speakers and, after a little research, I have whittled my choice down to either:

Infinity 3002cf

Boston Acoustic S35

Does anyone have any experience with either of these speakers, or these two manufacturers?

BTW: I have the extra amp and door speakers fitted.
Munki, I had a very similar set of Infinity 4" 2-way kappas fitted in one of my c900s, and they sounded great, though the rest of the sterero in that car was pretty horrible. Boston makes a nice product as well, though I dont have much firsthand experience with these.

IMHO, the difference between these two speakers will be pretty minimal. The Boston has a bit higher RMS value, which, considering that the sensitivity of both speakers is 92dB (looked up the infinitys as I though they had similar sensitivity), would mean that the Boston's can get a bit louder without distorting.

What is the RMS output of your amplifier? You generally want an amplifier with an rms value of at least that of your speaker, so that the amplifier has a clean output when the speaker is making the most noise

Now, what does the infinity counter for the Boston's extra loudness? Well, it has a bigger frequency response, starting at 85Hz and going to 21kHz, while the Boston goes from 100Hz to 21kHz. If you're filling in the bass with a sub or larger speaker in the doors, then as long as these speakers can fill in at least a bit above 100Hz, then you should be ok with the Bostons. The human ear cant hear much over 20 or 22 kHz at it's best, and I've heard that generally an adult cant hear much over 16kHz, so the upper limit wont matter too much in the real world anyways...

I'd likely say go with the Bostons, as you definately need to fill in the bass with something other than a 3.5" woofer anyways, and you hopefully have an amp that can supply enough power.

Good Luck Munki, and I can tell you that the Infinitys did outlast the car, though it only took a year or so to do that
Old 31st October 2005

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

The Boston's you show there look like they might be the newer replacement for the FX-3's I put in about a year ago. I like mine, but you will not go wrong with either brand. In fact they spec close enough together that I would decide based on price. You will probably roll them off at 100 - 150 Hz or above anyway? 6.5 in door mid-bass drivers should give plenty of energy up to 200 Hz, so you won't be making a big hole in the freq. resp. curve if you cross them over at 100 or 150 Hz.
Old 31st October 2005
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboheme
You will probably roll them off at 100 - 150 Hz or above anyway? 6.5 in door mid-bass drivers should give plenty of energy up to 200 Hz, so you won't be making a big hole in the freq. resp. curve if you cross them over at 100 or 150 Hz.
As I understand it, the factory amp for the speakers in the doors has a low-pass filter in it and the crossover is spec'd as 100Hz (-3db). This would sit nicely with the freq. resp of the Boston's.

Sadly though the output of the stock head unit is rather paltry (about 12W per channel in real terms). I am trying to get the best sound I can without replacing the head unit and rewiring the entire vehicle.
Old 31st October 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: Silver 5dr Viggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munki
As I understand it, the factory amp for the speakers in the doors has a low-pass filter in it and the crossover is spec'd as 100Hz (-3db). This would sit nicely with the freq. resp of the Boston's.

Sadly though the output of the stock head unit is rather paltry (about 12W per channel in real terms). I am trying to get the best sound I can without replacing the head unit and rewiring the entire vehicle.
Are you sure that the 'door subs' are set that low? If this is the case, I'd say that you'll get better coverage with the infinitys. You see, if the Bostons are high-pass filtered at 100Hz (-3dB) and the sub is Low passed as you say, then there technically be a bit of energy lacking right at the 100Hz mark. The -3dB mark is a common way to denote a filter, saying that the energy of the signal has diminished by 3 dB by at that frequency. Meaning both speakers will have a diminished response at 100Hz. Yes, 3dB sounds like a small amount of something, but this is a logarithmic scale, which means for every 3db you have a reduction of actual sound energy by HALF.

Combine that with the Infinity's lower RMS value, meaning your stock amp will be "closer" to adequate for the speaker, and I'd change my vote from boston to infinity.

The Bostons will have extra power handling you wont need or even come close to using, smaller frequency response leaving a small potential hole in the response, and the same sensitivity (a measure of loudness v. input wattage)

Plus, who can argue with an aluminum finished speaker cone?
Old 31st October 2005

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 VW R32, 97 Saab 900

Crutchfield didn't show the BA S35 fitting in the dash of my 900. So I went with the Apline Type S 3.5" speaker. I got it for $19.77 (they priced it WAY wrong!) so I'm not going to complain. I am quite impressed with how the Apline's performed.

I wouldn't spend too much on a 3.5" speaker as I don't think you'll be able to hear much of a difference, especially if you are using the stock deck.

- Anthony
Old 31st October 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Diesel

Don't know if you saw these. Waiting for mine:-

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4763.html

Removeable tiny tweeters and proper crossovers. Plan to split and fit both under the dash grilles.

I couldn't get the exotic 4" Morels in the front. Made plates and replaced the 6*9s in the back.

Last edited by hunt.dogshome; 31st October 2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 31st October 2005

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Agreed all the way around.
I know the factory amp has its own built in low pass filter but I have never bothered to look into where it occurs. What occurs to me however, is that both the Boston and Infinity should have a broader frequency range than the cheapy factory units. Stated another way, I doubt the factory units will go as low as either of the potential replacements. So I dare say, both will work fine. Add to this the tendency of the human ear, especially in middle-aged men, to be sensitive to mid-bass frequencies, and it is possible that some drop-out at around 100 Hz may have an equalizing effect. Also, we don't know what order the low pass follows (how steep it is): is it akin to a 3rd, 4th or 5th order Butterworth at 6, 12 or 18 dB per octave or what? This will affect the magnitude of any drop-out at the point of the cross-over. It would also be useful to know what the resonant frequency of the door mid-bass units is or is going to be. Quite a few 6.5 inch drivers hover in the 80 Hz range, so there is significant extra energy still present by 100 Hz. This gives the warm quality to male vocals in a number of speakers using 6.5 inch drivers.
And the 3.5 inch speakers do make some difference, but smaller so than the others. I know that extended frequency response up top, over that provided by the factory units, is definitely noticeable and welcome, especially in verts with the top down.
IMHO, given the cost of decent quality 3.5 in. upgrades, they are a good bang for the buck as an audio upgrade. When not upgrading amplification, I use sensitivity as my first criterion, overall frequency response as number 2, reputation of the manufacturer and my affinity for its other products as number 3, and cost as the deciding factor when it gets down to a two or three way tie. (It is assumed that as a first order of business one has already determined the proper nominal impedances which will be satisfactory and anything not within that range has been rejected).
I know I used to agonize about stuff like this when I was younger. It is easier now. Free market competition has weeded out the truly incompetent and the basics are well understood and executed by all the major players. And I do not care as much as I used to. My experience has been that, following the plan above, most name brands will swap in and give some noticeable improvements.
Old 31st October 2005
Saab Lunatic

Well so far this has all been good and interesting advice.

However, I am not upgrading from the stock speakers. I currently have a pair of Sony XS-A826 speakers up front. These were a cheap and cheerful option that I put in a couple of years ago, they are now sounding 'splashy' and confused at the upper end of the spectrum and they lack weight in the lower end. With the recent installation of the door speakers I have the upgrade bug again and I am looking to even out the sound.
Old 31st October 2005

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1995 Saab 9000 CS "super" package
I put Infinitys in my dash a few months ago and they were GREAT for 3.5s. I just took them out because I put Alpine Type S components in the doors and mounted the tweeter in the dash opening. the bass was good for the size and the soft dome tweeter is great for the highs.
Old 2nd November 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3

Infinitys in my dash... very sensitive... sound best when amped properly as the stock system isn't especially good.
Old 2nd November 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                

there really is no point in trying to match a speakers RMS power to a amp, it just doesn't matter!!!! Just buy a quality speaker be it from Infinity, Boston, Polk etc & there will not be issues

You can blow a 200w speaker with a 10w amp just like you can with a 500w amp! If the speaker is getting a bad signal it will blow no matter what the wattage is! On a small speaker like a 3.5 you are more limited to the excursion of the cone/voicecoil & not the power handling abilities thus getting it crossed over properly is more importans

I have always been a huge fan of infinity. Their SQ is a little on the bright side vs Boston which is a softer sound usually thus it's really what you prefer.

That being said, why not go with the infinity kappa C32.5cf? That's what I will be doing to my viggen
Old 5th November 2005

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Turbo X, 99 3dr Viggen RIP

just like the car Infinity''s are a joke and over priced.

jmo

Adam
Old 2nd May 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 SS Linear 5MT, 99 9-3 S 3dr 5MT
Garage

back when I had an Accord I had a 1300 watt 8 speaker 2 sub set up with all the components except for the subs being BA. It sounded amazing. Had a dedicated 500 watt amp just for the components and a second 800 watt amp for the two subs. Ended up being too much boom (I listened to rap for about a month before I decided I like classic rock a lot more and didnt need the boom ) so I eventually went to a single smaller sub.

The BAs in the cabin were amazing and never gave me a lick of trouble even in summers in triple digit temps. I highly recommend BAs! Only system in a car I have ever heard sound better was the Logic7 system in my 545, but that may have just been a much better equalizer/processor.
Old 12th June 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 SE

I have had both speakers hooked up to an alpine amp and have to say that the infinity speakers are way too harsh for my ears. Flutes screeched and pierced my years. Techno was way to scratchy to listen to and my system eventually became unbearable to listen to. I even had the tweeters attenuated down as much as possible on the speakers themselves and turned the upper frequencies down with tone controls and still had the same issues. Some people like that kind of sound, I personally hate it. Switched to BA and that issue went away. I can finally listen to music without my ears feeling like they are about to blow up.
Old 24th June 2011

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1999 93

I put in Polk Audio and Alpine and they sound great. You won't be disappointed with either of your choices.
Old 25th June 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

I just replaced a pair of Boston FX3 speakers with the newest version, the SE35. They seem to have a little more treble, but aren't harsh in the least, and sound great. They're driven by a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT.
Old 29th November 2013

Join Date: Oct 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 t.3t

I am also interested in replacing my front speakers and possibly my rear doors speakers. The factory speakers are apparently 2.5 ohm according to angry kitchen appliances. If i replaced these four speakers with 4 ohm speakers would the new resistance hurt the amp or would it still be safe? I have found a pair of 2 ohm 3.5 inch speakers from infinity but they are very expensive so i could only afford to do the front two. please help, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement