Lowering Springs for 01 Aero - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th October 2005

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero
Default Lowering Springs for 01 Aero

Thinking about having my 01 aero lowered has anyone done this if so any pictures also..pros and cons..thoughts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th October 2005
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 2k 9-5 Aero MapTun 4.2

Pros:

1. Better handling
2. Looks cool
3. See #1
4. See# 2
5. Less filling
6. Tastes great

Cons:

1. Bye-bye warranty, original or extended (Hirsch upgrades excluded)
2. Possibility of tire rub (dependent upon amount of lowering and driving habits of course)
3. Koni sports not adjustable whilst on vehicle
Old 11th October 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaab
3. Koni sports not adjustable whilst on vehicle
I've heard this, is it just the rear shocks you can't adjust or are all 4 unadjustable?
Old 11th October 2005
Saab Crazy

For sure rears - can you pop off the strut tower caps on the front under the hood?You need to get to the top of the strut to do the adjustment...
Old 11th October 2005

maybe i am better off going to a 18inch wheel instead of lowering..thoughts..
Old 11th October 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_deal176
maybe i am better off going to a 18inch wheel instead of lowering..thoughts..
Dumb idea, 18 inch rims don't like potholes much. Plus the shorter sidewall will make the ride harder, but it won't really corner any better. To be honest your suspension may just be tired, you should go to a saab dealer and test drive a new aero cause that's what it's supposed to be like. Really opened my eyes to how bad my car was. Can't give you advice on a suspension as I'm in the process of choosing one myself. I'm looking at the Eibach Pro-kit, or H&R sport springs with either Bilstein or koni shocks.
Old 11th October 2005
Saab Crazy

You won't get the handling improvements associated with a lower center of gravity that springs (and shocks) will give you.

While it is true that if you go with 18s and associated tires that result in a smaller overall wheel/tire combo diameter you will have effectively lowered the car, but you will likely have no sidewall if you go that route!
Old 11th October 2005
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

They are two toatlly different things, wheels and springs, what are you trying to achieve

The 18 with the correct tyre will be the same diameter as the 17 so no better on the arch clearance

I have had the following:

Stock SE suspension - awful
Aero Roadholding kit - better but too soft
Aero shocks and Eibach springs - better but still not right

Do it right and do it once with a shock and spring package
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 11th October 2005

any complete kits avaliable..and if so from who..
Old 11th October 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 SE 2.3lpt, 5spd, JSP Stage 3

Eibach springs and shocks suspension package for the 9-5. I believe its on PFS.

Taliaferro Open Intake - Forge Motorsport 007 Recirculating Dump Valve - Remus SaabSport Exhaust - Aero Clutch and PP - Taliaferro Transmission Mount - JSP 3" Downpipe w/ Racecat - JSP Stage III Tuned - Koni Fully Adjustable Shocks - Aero Springs/Sways - Silicone Vacuum Lines - PCV Update #6 - Brand new Fuel Tank and Walbro 255lph Pump - Autometer Boost Gauge - MHI TD04 Big 19T 6cm2 Turbo Awaiting Installation
Old 11th October 2005

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                

You can check out partsforsaabs.com for kits

Yeah, i thought my 2001 still handled pretty well, then i went and drove a 2004 and it was like night and day. So I too have been looking for a some dampers and springs. I've also been thinking about the bushings.
Old 11th October 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIlverAero
Yeah, i thought my 2001 still handled pretty well, then i went and drove a 2004 and it was like night and day. So I too have been looking for a some dampers and springs. I've also been thinking about the bushings.
Just so you know, Saab hasn't made any major changes to the aero suspension. Your suspension is just worn out. Genuinesaab.com has the saab roadholding kit which is essentially an aero suspension and it includes springs, shocks, struts, sway bars, and bushings for only around $600. If you like the aero suspension it's the bargain of the century.
Old 12th October 2005

Yeah thanks, i was thinking one thing in my head and i didn't completely write it out. I was trying to express the point that you thought i missed. In regards to the saab roadholding, it sounds like a deal, but I also thought i might try one of the other kits out there( still looking)
Old 12th October 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3 SE, BSR Stage 2

How old do you have to be in the US to test drive a new saab?
Old 12th October 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 SE V6

Round here its 18 and a driver's license

You guys should really start going to www.tirerack.com they have everything you need for suspension at good prices and you wont pay the shipping from the UK (partforsaabs.com is in the uk!!!)

Currently in the garage, waiting to be installed: Eibach pro-kit springs and koni sports

I didnt go for the roadholding kit because I have seen lots of aero owners upgrade their suspension...so what does that tell you about the kit? waste of $600...add a lil more and get something really impressive
Old 12th October 2005

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
Default Bilsteins with Eibach

Not sure if this will help you out or not, but I just put Bilstein shocks and Eibach Sport springs on my 2000 Aero wagon. I also fitted the rear camber shim kit from Taliafererro saab and the front camber kit from ??? (it was just an eccentric bolt, not sure if I needed it or not).

I did the upgrade because the rear of the wagon was sagging and burning up tires quickly (due to the camber issue). After the springs went on, I had NO drop in the rear of the car (within 1mm) and the front dropped 25mm. It looks great, but under VERY aggressive cornering, braking, or large bumps, the tires rub on the inner fender on both sides up front. No big deal really, because the entire car tightened up and feels & drives much better. It is not race-car stiff, but I have a wife who drives the car and I didn't want to "upset her" by ruining her car.

Took me 4.5 hours to do the work on the floor of my garage, it was not difficult by any means, and the only special tool I needed was a spring compressor (which I didn't end up using).

Next step is new tires for me...not sure what to get, but leaning towards Pirelli PzeroNero M&S. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 12th October 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero Wagon

can we see some pics of your car?? I have a 2000 aero wagon as well and was thinking about doing something of the sort to it...
Old 12th October 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Did you use the Bilstein Sports or HD's? Bilstein says they have rising rate valving, I think that means it gets stiffer under compression. Does it actually work?
Old 13th October 2005
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick gessler
Next step is new tires for me...not sure what to get, but leaning towards Pirelli PzeroNero M&S. Any thoughts on this?
Rick,
I've heard mixed reviews on the Prielli's. Alot of the posts I've read seem to speak highly of the Goodyear F1s, Continential Sports and the Kuhmo Ecsta's. Me, I've got Fulda Carat Attiro's. Their grip is great dry or wet - can't really speak to their cornering as my '01 stock suspension wallows around corners as is. Alot of it depends on the budget..
Old 13th October 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 SE V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick gessler
Not sure if this will help you out or not, but I just put Bilstein shocks and Eibach Sport springs on my 2000 Aero wagon. I also fitted the rear camber shim kit from Taliafererro saab and the front camber kit from ??? (it was just an eccentric bolt, not sure if I needed it or not).

I did the upgrade because the rear of the wagon was sagging and burning up tires quickly (due to the camber issue). After the springs went on, I had NO drop in the rear of the car (within 1mm) and the front dropped 25mm. It looks great, but under VERY aggressive cornering, braking, or large bumps, the tires rub on the inner fender on both sides up front. No big deal really, because the entire car tightened up and feels & drives much better. It is not race-car stiff, but I have a wife who drives the car and I didn't want to "upset her" by ruining her car.

Took me 4.5 hours to do the work on the floor of my garage, it was not difficult by any means, and the only special tool I needed was a spring compressor (which I didn't end up using).

Thanks,

Rick
Wait! So can I do the setup myself too? How hard was it? I dont want to pay a mechanic $250 if I can do it myself over the weekend
PLEEEAAASSEEE write back!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement