2006 Aero Mods, are there any? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X GENERAL Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X GENERAL Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers general Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28-09-05

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: '06 93 Aero Sedan
Question 2006 Aero Mods, are there any?

I ordered the 2006 Aero direct from the factory and it should be here in about 6 weeks. In the meantime I am perusing for any type of mods that may be available for the new 2.8 V6 Twin just to get the idea juices flowing. Any ideas??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-09-05

straight from factory? Did you do that through a dealer? Was wondering what the benefits of this might be and what steps you took to do it since I am thinking of doing the same to ensure I get everything I want.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 29-09-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcircuit
straight from factory? Did you do that through a dealer? Was wondering what the benefits of this might be and what steps you took to do it since I am thinking of doing the same to ensure I get everything I want.

Any help would be appreciated.
I ordered fromthe factory for a number of reasons:
1. The 2006 Aero is not on the lot yet
2. I wanted one fully loaded with the touring package as well as the NAV system(just relocated to the east coast and am completely lost.)
3. I am eligble for the GM Employee discount on the 2006 and I am not in a hurry to have the car ($6000 off!)
4. The dealer inventory of ordered Aero's did not include the Chili Red with Parchment interior, fully loaded.
5. MSRP on the 2006's is less than that of the 2005
6. 250bhp, V6 Twin turbo

It was totally easy. Arroway Auto in Ketonah, NY made it very simple. Only had to put $500.00 down. The first dealership I went to in Greenwich, CT were not helpful at all. Not only did they not have any pricing for the '06's, they didn't know what their inventory was going to be, and they never offered to order the car for me.

Hope this helps.
Old 30-09-05

How was it that you were eligible for the employee discount? Did you have a hookup or is it because you did it by the 30th of september which is what the deadline is at most TX dealerships here?

I was thinking about going the ordering route as well because I definately want to get the touring package with jet black metallic and the darker interior. If I got that employee discount I would definately get the navigation but seems to expensive otherwise.

Thanks for the pointers, im looking forward to my new toy!
Old 30-09-05

I was able to take advantage of the discount because I have a family member that retired from GM and they are still eligble for the discount. NAV is a personal choice but I found that they are great for really discovering the hidden little treasures of the town which you live in.
Old 03-10-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: Now: 2006 Silver 9-3 Aero 6M Sport Sedan

To answer your original question, there isn't anything out yet for the V6T; but an email I sent to Hirsch a few months back got a response that they would have upgrades available "early next year." Not really sure about plans for/from any other tuners ...

BSR does have a the V6T listed as a choice of engines, but they have no products listed for it yet.

Last edited by 93Linear; 03-10-05 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-10-05
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

Is this twin turbo some unknown new variant?

The Aero I drove at the Saab Owners Convention was a single turbo V6. AFAIK, the Aero line is using a single turbo on the 2.8L V6 sourced from Monaro....
Old 03-10-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: '07 2.0T SC,'99 9.3S, '87 900

People get confused over this issue. The new Saab 2.8T is a Single Turbo, but it is a Twin-Scroll Turbo, what this means is that there are two exhaust paths into the exhaust turbine housing, with two, different turbines. One turbine is optimized for low end response, the other for high-end flow. Both cylinder banks feed these turbines. Thus, it isn't asymmetrically turbocharged, like the old 3.0V6 of 9-5 fame. You get two-turbines, but one compressor. Kind of a similar concept as a sequential, twin-turbo of yore, but with less complicated intake paths since you only have one compressor. This twin scroll on a Vee-type engine is how the now defunct Audi 2.7T worked on the A6 models I believe (but the S4 and RS4 were full-on Twin-Turbos I think.)

Last edited by 8valvegrowl; 03-10-05 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Poor spelling...
Old 05-10-05
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9000 B234R+ M/98 and 9-5 Aero Sedan M/01

Hej !

The turbocharger's turbine housing is of the type "twin scroll." This means that there are two separate spirals in the turbine housing. The turbine wheel, however, is of a conventional design. Spiral A is supplied exhaust gases from the front bank while spiral B is supplied from the rear bank. Since the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 with the front bank cylinders numbered 2-4-6 and the rear bank cylinders numbered 1-3-5, the exhaust pulses will supply spiral A and B alternatingly.

By using the energy of the exhaust pulses as a propelling force rather than the more or less constant flow of exhaust gases, the turbocharger reacts quicker. There is also a lower average pressure in the exhaust gases, which is good for engine breathing. Because there is a difference of 240 crankshaft degrees between the exhaust strokes in the respective exhaust manifold, the exhaust pulse will have subsided when the next cylinder opens its exhaust valves. There is little flow of exhaust gases from the exhaust manifold into the cylinder, resulting in efficient scavanging with low residual gas content.

Old 05-10-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: Audi A6 ex9-3 Hirsch CV 93t 900s

DrBoost - Not been around for a while Any news on a ECU upgrade for the 2.8t guys (not as thouhgt they need any extra power)? 300bhp was mentioned previously.
Oh - and hows that 212bhp twin turbo diesel coming along?
Old 05-10-05
SaabNut!

Hej !

Well, I've been busy like h-ll.

Both in my profession as well as private.

So, 2.8 TuRbo, I know that Hirsch are planning "for something fun", you will have to ask them for details. Then about the 212 bhp diesel, I don't know where you've found such an idea ? Maybe you have heard about a little project that has been done in Russelsheim ? There are a couple of 1.9 TiD "stronger than normal specs". But this is a completly different "development track". Not intended for production.

BTW, have a look at this picture, this is the engine that I'm working with at the moment, it could change the definition of "performance" when fitted to a 9-3 Aero ! http://www.badanka.com/upload/uploaded/V12DSC_4.JPG
Old 05-10-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Aero convert. Vtuned 0, Koni FSD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoost
Hej !

BTW, have a look at this picture, this is the engine that I'm working with at the moment, it could change the definition of "performance" when fitted to a 9-3 Aero ! http://www.badanka.com/upload/uploaded/V12DSC_4.JPG
my lord, this is for a boat!!!???
Old 05-10-05
SaabNut!

Talking

Hej !

Well, it will fit well into a Centurion mk 10 battle tank....
Or possibly a 9-3SC ?

So, now you know what I'm doing when I'm working ovetime...
Old 05-10-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: MY04 Hirsch 9-5 Aero 4-door auto

Quote:
That's a Rover engine....
Old 05-10-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: Audi A6 ex9-3 Hirsch CV 93t 900s

Thats definately not an eco-tec block
Old 05-10-05
SaabNut!

Hej !

Correct, built by Rover, it's a Meteor Mk4 B/2, how ever originally designed by Rolls Royce, they started with a Merlin (Aero engine) and made some mods, then later Rover made mods and as a result we have the Mk 4.

ECO-TEC.... well, aluminium block, aluminium cylinder banks, aluminium heads....
4 valves per cylinder, roller cams, two sparkplugs per cylinder, dual magnetos, dry sump lubrication, no it's by far more advanced than normal passenger car engines of today.

Last edited by DrBoost; 06-10-05 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-10-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: MY04 Hirsch 9-5 Aero 4-door auto

Quote:
Correct, built by Rover, it's a Meteor Mk4 B/2, how ever originally designed by Rolls Royce, they started with a Merlin (Aero engine) and made some mods, then later Rover made mods and as a result we have the Mk 4.
Basically an unsupercharged version of the Merlin, but with more steel castings rather than mag or alloy ones as weight saving wasn't really a priority when intsalled in a main battle tank.....
So, a relatively unstressed 600hp or so rather than the 1500+hp or so from a 2 stage Merlin....
Old 05-10-05
SaabNut!

Hej !

Actually 650 bhp @ 2400 rpm. The wheelcase is made of cast steel, all other "big components" are made of aluminium alloy. The weight is surprising low, approx 600 kg !

Anyone that knows where to find a booster coil, a set of exhaust manifolds, generator regulator and other nice to have stuff ?

Well, back to the V6, any other questions about the V6 ?
Old 05-10-05
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                

How much power/torque can you output safely from it with:
a)different software
b)few mods
c)heavy modding

(is transmission safety limit 400Nm as stated in 9-3 launch press?)

And why there is no Trionic and what future does Trionic generally have.

Last edited by TuuSaR; 05-10-05 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-10-05
SaabNut!

Hej !

WoW, another "impossible queation"....
However, let me give you some input, looking at things from my view.

a) By only tweaking s/w, the maximum power can not be increased a lot, but mid range torque can be raised.

b) Few mods, 300 bhp should not be too difficult.

c) This is a matter of definition, the crank, block and heads are made of the good stuff, will happily support more power than you can imagine. So, with forged piston, billett rods, new camshafts, ported heads, modified valve train, new turbo installation, dry sump lubrication and a few "normal mods for high power". Is 1000 bhp enougt for you ? But, this will cost some money.
I would guess that we will see "heavy modded kits" in the range of 300-450 bhp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement