The fuel 'crisis/protests' - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th September 2005

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon
Thumbs down The fuel 'crisis/protests'

Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical but...

UK prices for automotive fuel hit an all time high, some so called 'protesters' with our best interest at heart start making noises, "we'll protest", though we won't blockade etc, so the moron public [tar me liberally with that brush, I'm nothing special] start buying fuel over and above normal usage, causing a short term blip in the supply chain, suppliers work hard at making sure there is only just enough, stations shut for a few hours or maybe 'no unleaded' for a few hours, this 'shortage' spreads by word of mouth encouraging more and more panic buying [of petrol at the highest price that is has been in a while] so, worried people that cannot really afford a few days off work spend more than normal on something that is currently costing more than normal, so OK who wins? the sellers of the commodity that's who, the cashflow increase must have been extroadinary, so much so that Asda & Tesco have announced a 4p per litre decrease tonight! Is that a small pat on the back for spending so much with them in the past few days? An alterantive to clubcard points?

Open letter to the 'protesters' [very short]

Next time, shut up, stay at home home and quiety seeth. The rest of us will get on with our lives the best we can.

A grumpy Raggy.
1997 Fiat Punto 1.25 85hp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th September 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Diesel

Well, I missed it all .

Cars been on stands waiting for a CV boot to arrive. She knows when to need maintenance (or maybe because she ALWAYS needs maintenance??)
Old 15th September 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Carlsson

I managed to avoid it all by having half a tank of petrol already in there plus havign this week off work

But decided to do the clever thing and fill up this lunchtime only to find out tomorrow it is going to be 4 p cheaper

Oh well ... suppose it is Karma for being smug about not queuing

Sainsburys reckon they have done a weeks worth of petrol sales in about 8 - 10 hours on monday. Insane ... but bet their shareholders will be happy bunnies.
Tesco alone accounts for 11% of all UK petrol sales.
Old 15th September 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1992 9000 2.3L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt.dogshome
Well, I missed it all .

Cars been on stands waiting for a CV boot to arrive. She knows when to need maintenance (or maybe because she ALWAYS needs maintenance??)
And that's the most effective protest of all.
Old 16th September 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

I'm pleased that there have been no queues in evidence over this way at all. There was an interesting section on the BBC site that pointed out that when you factor in cost of tax etc. in running a car as well as the fuel price, Britain has it easy compared to some European countries - especially Scandinavia, but in France it is creeping up too. Even so, 1 a litre when half of that is tax is just ridiculous. Whenever I look at Gordon Brown I'm reminded of the old sketch where a man stands on a wooden stage and saws a circle around himself.
Old 16th September 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's
Default Thanks

Just wanted to say thank's to all those people who rushed out and stocked up, my cars been off the road all week so i have'nt been able to fill up, now i've got to put enought to get to Ipswich and back it's a bit cheaper .

Cheers all you scaremongering plonkers!!!!!!
Old 16th September 2005

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9 5 2.3t Nordic Estate Auto

All this panic buying has left the majors with another problem now they have lots of petrol and not many people need it as they all went mad filling up earlier so to hook those who are buying prices are coming down. I am not convinced that it is all good news for the sellers except those that may have been profiteering . Still it is hard (almost impossible) to feel too much sympathy for Asda, Tesco et al. I will need to fill up soon so let the prices drop a bit more . I feel for those who really need fuel and struggled to get it or had to pay inflated prices.
Old 16th September 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 96V4 -13,000 miles | Saab 9-3SS Aero

Crisis? What crisis?

The high taxation on fuel is a separate issue, from the lack of a smooth world production level. IMHO, the real people that should be brought to account are the Oil Companies.

If there is a short-fall in production, then increase productivity. Every other Industry does it, why not they? Because it's a powerful commodity. It's like the films, Dune and Spice, or Waterworld, and Soil, or, better still, Total Recall, and Oxygen.

If gas, ie, the stuff you cook with, was just as effected, as it surely could have been, then we would not have been the 'shortage' we have just seen with oil.

As for the current fuel protests, they are about as effective as a fart in a wet-suit.

Last edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox; 16th September 2005 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Couldn't remember the film.
Old 16th September 2005

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 900i 8 valve 2 door
Default Fuel prices

I liked one of the headlines today in the Express "Fuel prices SLASHED to 90p per litre!" Now if it was cut to say 65 or 70p a litre that would be slashed but dropping 4p off the price, it's more like gently rubbed than slashed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement