SaabCentral Forums banner

2 lbs lighter: CD player gone.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Viscouse 
#1 · (Edited)
I removed my CD player today. It wasn't cheap, but I'm happy with the results.
Some of you might remember the bane of my Aux-in installation: hitting SRC twice to get to my XM. Mercy I hated it. :evil: That was one of my End-Of-The-Road-Have-A-Sit-Down-In-Defeat episodes.

So why not take out the CD player? I don't really use CDs a lot. I'd rather have easy access to XM than the ability to have CDs. Everyone has priorities, right?

Anyway, I had the Dealer remove the CD player from Tech II, and that alone does the trick. Just hit SRC once & you're listening to Aux-in. :cool:

In case you're wondering, putting a CD in will not play it, but I had to try. The Tech thought I found an undocumented feature that would allow the CD to play without it being in the menu or something. :D The CD will eject.

So I had to keep it neat, so I removed the CD player, and put a blanking plate in there. Like this: http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/SGFOG/item-g11.htm

The odd thing is, there are mounting tabs for something that it doesn't attach to. I wonder what else goes in that spot with the plate?

The other bonus is that I now have a 12V lead (I didn't check if it's switched or unswitched) if I need it.

All in all:
Tech2: $47.5
Cover plate: $9.60
Other parts: $9.00
Total: $66.10

But to me, it's worth it. Even for half of the solution.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tempting. I guess I've listened to a couple CDs just to see what the system sounded like, but that's it. I'm getting ready to add the XM player in the ashtray/storage bin location. Too bad you don't get another storage bin out of the CD player deletion.

#6 ·
Not that anyone has been able to do. I have a feeling they wouldn't be able to modify that. It's part of the programming of the EHU.

If they wanted to just change the programming, they could have just made "default source" an option in Tech2 or SID.

But they didn't. :evil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.