c900 Convertible rear window - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th September 2005

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: '91 900S vert(wrecked) '86 900T vert
Default c900 Convertible rear window

I have been driving the car with the rear window "falling into" the car for the past couple days now, out of necessity. i have repeadely "placed the window into it's proper place" but to no avail, it falls back the next time i get in the car. when i go to put the top down i have to jump back and push the window into the cradle where everything falls, then continue to lower the top.

is there a simple way to remedy this problem? also there seems to be a slight tear in the cloth at the base of the window. any help would be appreciated, and possibly something that isnt a major project since this is my only way of transportation for school and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th September 2005

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900LPT, '90 900i vert

The C900 rear window is on a vinyl cloth of its own, separate to the rest of the top. It is stapled at the bottom (under the cloth strip) and it is attached at the top by a zipper. If you have the owner's manual, it details how to unzip the rear window. If only one half of the zipper shows when the window flops down, you should be able to zip it up. There should be a small metal loop at the top centre of the roof and a corresponding strap on the top centre of the window itself. That's used to tie the two together while you zip it up. My zip was so little used that it was siezed solid and I had to spray it liberally with white lithium grease to free it up. When you're zipping / unzipping the rear window, you need to open the roof just a touch to relieve pressure on the zip.

OTOH, if there's no sign of the zipper on the top of the rear window or if both sides of the zipper are there, it has ripped out of the vinyl. The fix in this case is a little harder. If the zipper has ripped off the window section, you could sew it back on, possibly in place but you'd probably be better taking it out and using a good sewing machine. If the zipper has ripped off the roof section, you'll have to take about half of the top off to refit it. There are instructions for this job at: http://townsendimports.com/Web/body_...r_tech_doc.htm
Old 6th September 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1991 900 16v Turbo Convertible SE

I'm a bit confused -- is the window 'falling in' from the top or the bottom? Which part is still attached, the window itself or the cloth strip?

If the window itself is lose, then I would suggest using the windshield adhesive to reattach it to the bottom strip ONLY. I would NOT use adhesive to attach it to the top anywhere else.

If your top is like mine, there is no zipper.
Old 6th September 2005

there is a zipper, but the zipper is still attached. the window is still attached to the fabric along the bottom, but the window has fallen out of the track that holds it along the passenger side of the car and most of the top of the window. i took some pictures to illustrate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00241.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2933   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00242.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2934   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00239.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2935   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00240.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	2936  
Old 6th September 2005

Is there a vinyl section behind the cloth? The bit that the zipper is attached to? It looks like the glass has come away from the vinyl. The fix for that is probably to get a windscreen fitter to bond it back to the vinyl with windscreen adhesive. Shouldn't cost much or you could try to get the adhesive yourself and DIY. It's a specific Urethane windscreen adhesive you need...
Old 6th September 2005

so you think a glass company could take care of the problem?

i went to the dealership to see what they thought, and they said that it would take an upholsterer to do it, due to the tear in the cloth, the glass is pulling down on everything and wont stay on the track.

i called the upholstery company, and he said that they would have to order the back part of the top AND the glass. is this true? the glass is in good condition, cant they just use the same glass i have, and adhere it to the new piece. the guy at the dealership said they made the top in 2 parts for reasons like this, but is it really necessary to replace the glass aswell? when i looked on partsforsaabs.com they sell the headlining and the glass seperately, but the upholstery guy said they come as a single part.
Old 6th September 2005

i was confused on the parts i needed, i spoke to someone else and he cleared up the part i needed was only the glass part, the headlining is something different. anyway, it seems that the glass is electrically fused to the fabric, and a simple adhesive will give me the same problems i am currently experiencing somewher down the road.

i have called around for quotes and they all seem to be around the same price, 600 american for parts and labor. luckilly they are telling me that it will be same day service.

looks like i will have to drive the car around like this for a while until i can pull together the money to get this done.
Old 6th September 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1991 900 16v Turbo Convertible SE

Just glue it until you get the money together. Sure, it won't last, but it's better than having the opening when you need the A/C.

You may be able to find a used glass insert, too. Worth a shot.
Old 6th September 2005

yeah, my dad suggesed i just duct taped it for the time being. im probabally going to go to a junkyard thursday, i am going to try to find the part that attaches the fuel door to the car, "900 86-94 Fuel Filler Neck OES 9335118" is the part i need. i submitted a couple inquiries on salvage websites, and they will call me if they have anything. the problem is, Saabs are so rare in Arizona, i doubt there will be much at a junkyard, let alone a convertible model.
Old 7th September 2005

If you're short of cash and handy with a sewing machine, you could do a repair job yourself.
  • Get some suitable vinyl (reasonably heavy stuff) and make a border for the glass. Make this much the same shape as the rear opening of the cloth top but take it all the way around.
  • Now, take out the rear window and its vinyl section and sew the new frame you've made to the vinyl, trapping the glass between the two sections as you go.
  • Use windscreen sealer on both sides of the glass to help it stick.
That'll give you the glass in a pocket between two layers of vinyl which won't come loose.

As for the 'electrically bonded' explanation, it may be so but it's not the only way you can stick vinyl to glass. Take it to a windscreen shop, explain to them what you want them to do, they'll say
Quote:
I've never done anything like that before
and you say
Quote:
Yes, I know. But that's what I want you to do....
When they finally agree to try it, after saying
Quote:
This is not under any sort of warranty and it's all at your own risk
you'll need to brace the glass against the vinyl for 4 hours (or overnight if possible) before the adhesive will carry the weight of the glass. Watch out that you don't damage the rear screen demister elements on the glass when propping it.

If your alternative is $600 for a replacement glass section, what is there to lose trying out the $30 option first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement