water, oil pumps ..should they be changed - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th August 2005

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
Default water, oil pumps ..should they be changed

hi all

could anyone let me know what the expected ;lfe of an oil pump and water pump should be ..i ask because i recall reading a thread once suggesting the oil pump was only good for 100 thousand miles ..this didnt seem to get disputed from other posts and so i am just wondering what the consensus of oponion is.

main reason i ask is ..i plan installing a new rad this weekend, i also got a new water pump at the same time ..some people say i shouldnt fix what is not broke ..yet other say preventative maintenance is more ideal ..so now i dont know if i should change the water pump when i change the rad ..also should i change the oil pump since i'll have good access to it with the water pump out ..could anyone please help confuse me more ..the car btw has done 106,000
regards
*dilema*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: ....................empty.

Water pump? Make sure it's a good brand one. Some aftermarket pumps are known to be troublesome.
I tend to think that replacing the oil pump would be a touch of over kill. I don't believe that the 900's have any history of oil pump fatigue but if you are so inclined, the oil pump O ring and crank pulley seal will certainly leak in the furture, if they aren't already. The obstacle is the crank pulley of course, which may need replacing as well.

So depending on your budget and keeness, you can go from there!

Good Luck
Cheers
Eat the Pudding!
------------
ODE to the N\A
"I have not TURBINE to compress my buttocks, O lord,
Pity will be thine when thoust can crap on with boost.
We of the 'N\A - N\A' knowst nil of the pulling glory,
Yea, to post, thy blight the day of those who pressurise their pipes,
Alas, suck be mine that my chariot breathes,
Strike me down for mine is an unworthy existance"

Old 30th August 2005
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

I'd say that if the water pump's quiet in operation and has no shaft play then leave it be. At 106,000 miles your car is just a youngster
Old 30th August 2005
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Many cars have water pumps driven by the timing belt / chain. As it is so difficult to get in the area, generally you replace the water pump and timing belt at same time.

On the Saab it's on the outside of the engine, so not such a big job. Don't worry about either.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 31st August 2005

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                

I got 185,000 from my water pump on my 89' 900 N/A.

I just did a rebuild @ 200,000 and the oil pump gears and housing were fine....knock on wood .

I say if you are doing the radiator, it can't hurt to do the other pieces for the cooling system since you can feasably do the common "need replacing" system components for under $200.00USD....Radiator, Water Pump, Thermo-switch for the fan and Thermostat, that is.
Old 31st August 2005

My Saabs: 1994 900S 2.5 V6 manual

I wouldn't call throwing out a perfectly good pump preventative maintanance.
Old 31st August 2005
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

I wouldn't call waiting for the water pump to fail preventive maintenance either!

The idea of preventive maintenance is to replace things before they break, or to carry out work to ensure that they don't break. Replacing perished but not yet split CV joint gaiters for example; or getting rid of that clogged radiator and knackered thermostat before they break and the engine overheats.
Old 1st September 2005

thank you one and all ..your opinions have been a great help and relief

i do have an oil "drip" ..it seems to flow off some point on the scratch plate in the centre ..could this be indicative of the oil pump O ring or crank shaft pully ? ..or could it be more serious ..i'm guessing not being the oil pump seals as the drip if virtually on the other side of the engine ..its a tiny barely noticeable amount lost ..i check the oil regularly and it never seems to require topping up ..i keep the level just over the half way point betweten min and max on the dip stick

when i did first buy the car ..the oil was slightly over full ..but i've done my first oil change since and used mobil1 ...it was dripping before the change so i know it is not due to switching to synthetic i had assumed was in it anyway

its an lpt with fitted charge cooler which is why i assumed it already ran on synthetic

anyway thanks for your help
regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement