Can't get crank pulley back on crankshaft! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th August 2005

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 89 900
Angry Can't get crank pulley back on crankshaft!

Had to replace the oil pump cover o-ring due to bad leaks. Everything came off ok, tho I had to ease the crank pulley off the shaft by wriggling it off a millimetre or so at a time initially with some large screwdriver shafts behind the back of the pulleys, so it was a pretty tight fit.

My problem is, now that I'm ready to put it back on, I can only get it on the crankshaft about 5mm, after which it becomes very snug, and there is no way to tap it on because of the lack of space.

I've greased up the inside of the pulley assembly to encourage it to slide on the shaft and it doesn't help. I've had two long bits of timber in against the outside face of it and tried to wriggle it back on. I've spent 3 hours on this and have got to the end of my tether.

All I can think of is to get a bolt a bit longer than the existing pulley bolt and try to screw it on, at least to get it started, but I'm worried if it is slightly out of alignment I could score the shaft or the inside of the pulley assembly, or that it will work but be such a tight fit I can't rotate the pulley to get it to align with the key on the shaft.

Anyone managed to deal with this before? Any suggestions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th August 2005

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900LPT, '90 900i vert

I'd say take it off and clean up the inside of the bore with sandpaper. Get every bit of corrosion / dirt off and check for ridges / nicks that might cause it to jam. Check the end of the crank also to be sure there is nothing getting in the way there. Check that the key is seated snugly in the crank (though, from your description, this may not be the problem). Perhaps take out the key and clean it and its slot in the crank up. Make sure the keyway in the pulley is also clean and undamaged.

The next thing to think of is did you reassemble the oil pump correctly (BTW, you did pack the oil pump with Vaseline for priming didn't you? If not, take it off and do so. Did you replace the crank pulley seal too? If not, replace it now...

Does the inside end of the pulley even get as far as the seal?

If you're still having difficulty, it might be worthwhile taking off the oil pump so you can see if there's any obstruction.
Old 19th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaly
I'd say take it off and clean up the inside of the bore with sandpaper.
I was going to do this as a matter of course even though it looks in pretty good condition, but didn't have any wet 'n' dry handy so skipped it. Might just have to undo all those bolts again and give the bore and the shaft a good going over.

To answer your Q's...
  • Yes, primed the oil pump and replaced the crank pulley seal as well as the oil pump cover 0-ring.
  • Reassembled the oil pump correctly - Big gear with marking facing up.
  • The inside end of the pulley doesn't get as far as the seal. Only gets about 5mm on to the end of the shaft.
Thinking about it, it might be as simple as having to lightly resurface the bore and shaft. I can imagine with such tight tolerances that small imperfections could be a problem, but I'm no engineer. I'll have to wait a few days now till I have some free time.
Old 19th August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: ....................empty.

First of all,

Congrats on taking on the job yourself. Definately not one of the easiest tasks to tackle at the best of times.

Did you remove the locating 'key' from the crank or did it fall out? That is, the metal tab that is inserted in the crank that the pulley will have a matching cut-out for......
If that key is not sitting right, the pulley will not travel very far along the crank.
I'm sure there are many out there who have done this more than I, (3 times), but every time that I have done this task, the pulley essentially just glided back on once the keyway was comfortably established.
The engineering tolerances in the crank/ pulley arrangement are generally excellent. A firm controlled push is all that is needed in reinstall a lightly greased pulley onto a lightly greased crank.
I pray the large screwdrivers didn't leave any marks on the crank!
You'll be needing more than wet 'n dry if that's the case.

Good Luck

Cheers
Eat the Pudding!
------------
ODE to the N\A
"I have not TURBINE to compress my buttocks, O lord,
Pity will be thine when thoust can crap on with boost.
We of the 'N\A - N\A' knowst nil of the pulling glory,
Yea, to post, thy blight the day of those who pressurise their pipes,
Alas, suck be mine that my chariot breathes,
Strike me down for mine is an unworthy existance"

Old 19th August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5, 1997 900

Heat it with a torch!
Old 19th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentmaster
Did you remove the locating 'key' from the crank or did it fall out?
Nope, it stayed in place so I never touched it.

Quote:
I pray the large screwdrivers didn't leave any marks on the crank!
You'll be needing more than wet 'n dry if that's the case.
No, I only used the screwdrivers as leverage on the pulley rim to help wriggle it off. It was the only way it would come off.

All will be revealed later in the week I guess. The pulley looked a bit knocked about although the bore and shaft looked reasonable, which might indicate someone didn't do a great job putting it on originally. I think a light sanding could make a difference.
Old 19th August 2005
Banned

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: The Black Night, 900T

You know when you wiggled it off did you damage or nip the crank shaft, have a feel and look to see if there is any damage to it, i think i got lucky on my crank pully as it came off with easy and went back on just as simply.

I guess you have a tuff one, always take your time and work when you have the energy and take breaks too.
Good luck
Old 3rd September 2005

Ok, all fixed! 5 minutes work sanding the bore was all it took. Some hamfisted d***head who had previously done some work on the car had left a pretty noticeable score along the bore, which I didn't pay much attention to.

A light sanding and some fresh engine oil for lubrication and she went on nicely. Can't believe I didn't pick it up originally - I stubbornly frigged about for 2 or 3 hours trying about 6 different ways to get it back on instead of taking a deep breath and checking it all out again.

Well, we live and learn.

PS No leaks anymore!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement