release bearing time. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th August 2005

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                
Default release bearing time NEW INFORMATION, COVER OFF!

Well, I suspect that the release bearing is out as the typical noise starts up when the clutch is depressed and ceases when the clutch is released. I have done the search and I gather that the job is a little easier than it looks like and reads in the manual.

btw, 87 turbo convertable 16v

I cannot afford to pay the 6 bills here in Denver CO so I must do it myself. My plan is to just replace the bearing and whatever seals are necessary. The clutch does not slip. While I have good shade-tree mechanic chops, I cannot really lift and wrench too much until I finish up the physical therapy for a disk issue! (in my neck... different disks...)

Am I crazy to not just replace the disk and plate at the same time? It *looks* to me that after the clutch assembly is opened up, the disk and plate are bolt on/off. IS that true?

thanks in advance.

E

Last edited by ernzo2; 15th August 2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: additional details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th August 2005
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernzo2
It *looks* to me that after the clutch assembly is opened up, the disk and plate are bolt on/off. IS that true?
Yes that is true. What's more, you'll have to unbolt them anyway to get the release bearing out. The gain from not replacing everything is: (a) expense and (b) not having to mess with the clutch system's hydraulics.

How old is the current clutch? Do you do mostly motorway or urban driving? There are instructions in the Bentley for checking the clutch wear (I can't remember what they are).

I would say that if the slave cylinder looks rusty and corroded, and it's old then replace that. If the clutch is more than half worn then replace that too. Also inspect the section of flexible hose on the slave cylinder's hydraulic circuit.

Replacing the clutch can be tough on the back. Removing the bonnet will help you greatly, as you won't then have to lean over the engine bay at an awkward angle.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=35662
Old 13th August 2005
Banned

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: The Black Night, 900T

I am in the same situation, i have not change my clutch realise bearing and slave because i dont have a clutch kit yet.

I too though it best to replace it all, as your in there and its right infront of you
what better chance will you have 2 birds with one stone.

Matthew has posted a great thread on this topic that i have printed out and will use a manuel, i suggest you read it all and you wont go wrong.

Good luck
Old 13th August 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks
I too though it best to replace it all, as your in there and its right infront of you
what better chance will you have 2 birds with one stone.
Once youve got the slave out then its only 6 M8 bolts and about 10 minutes (if that!) extra work to swap the rest of the clutch too!
Old 13th August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2002                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 8v N/A & '88 900 SPG, Both 5 spd

My release bearing went, actually it seized. Made a weird whine in 1st and 2nd. My mechanic replaced the disc/plate at the same time. The seal in back of the release bearing (name?) was also replaced. I also had my front engine mount replaced at the same time.
Old 13th August 2005

Thanks all. Hmmmm, I have the bently and I have read all I can here but I still cannot get my arms around how the darn thing works! In my experience, some things just take a 'lookin at before it all comes clear. When I replaced the t-case on my jeep, NOTHING could have prepared me for that!! But if I had to do it again? Must easier I suspect!

Anyway, my plan is to get the bearing and some molly and *I think* one seal (?) and start with taking the bonnet off. After I look at it, and determine the wear (thanks mathew) maybe I will dive in with both feet!

From posts I have determined that I ought to be able to access and replace the bearing in about 3 hours. I know it can be done faster, but.....

cheers!
Old 15th August 2005

Hi,

OK, I have parts and a question: (Thanks Mathew for the detailed-with pix- clutch link above!!)

After I remove the plastic cover, depress clutch pedal and insert spark wires to hold the pressure plate springs (which is what I hope to use) and pull the input shaft partway out, I am thinking that I have exposed the bearing, correct? Is it possible to simply replace the darn thing at this point, or do I have to pull the slave off?
I guess what I am asking is how is the release bearing attached or held to the bellows/slave?

I realize that this may sound like a *1/2 az * way of doing it but I am told that the car had a clutch in the last 30m miles. Obviously, unless someone (not me!) was riding the pedal, something must be amiss as the bearing ought to last longer.

Again, any help is appreciated. I cannot go the 6 bills or so for the shop and I am hoping to make this a 1-2 banana job, not a 5!

Ernie
Old 16th August 2005

Default Help: Am in middle of clutch job!

Hi!! (happier than I rally am...)

I am in the middle of the clutch. Cover off, slave exposed. I am off to get the special tool to hold the plate springs. After that I will pull the shaft using an 8m bolt. So far so good?

After that I am going to try to lift out the slave. Will it come out without removing the plate/disk?

While the slave is grease, I see no leaks. I am going to clean her up. What I am trying to do now is replace the release bearing, pressure plate and disk and the shaft seal.

with the pedal NOT pushed in, the bearing seems to spin freely, but I can hear that it is shot.

Suggestions? Sound like a plan? Will the slave come out without removing the plate at the same time?

Thanks a million, hopefully I can add something to this forum as I get to know my Saab a little better!

Ernie
Old 16th August 2005

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 94 Vert, 99 9-5 wagon, 01 9-5 Sedan
Default Clutch Job - Removing the Slave Cylinder

Once you inserted the special clutch tool, pulled the shaft, it is possible to remove the slave cylinder without pulling the plate and clutch. In fact it is possible to change out the transmission without pulling the plate and clutch

You will need a power bleeder or mini-vac to restore the clutch pressure. As it turned out, I had a bad brake master cylinder, which didn't help things.

I also recommend the Bentley and/or the Haynes manuals for addtional info.

--oliversexpedition
Old 16th August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5, 1997 900

If you have problems removing the slave, you can cut the fingers on the old pressure plate with a dremel. That will give you a lot of room to get everything out.
Old 16th August 2005
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

The release bearing sits on part of the slave cylinder's piston. You have to remove the slave to get the release bearing off. To remove the slave you have to take out the clutch. To take out the clutch you have to take out the slave.

The solution is to remove everything, simultaneously. It won't take you long to unbolt the clutch pressure plate.

On reassembly, some long cable ties come in useful for holding parts together while you lower them into place. Unless you have five arms
Advertisement