Intercooler misting vs water injection - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning

C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Classic 900 (C900)

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd August 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's
Default Intercooler misting vs water injection

As Mr PDA is in the process of sorting out his misting kit I thought rather than diverting his post I'd start a new one.

So what are the pro's and cons of Water Injection/Intercooler misting?

Is one a better option than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd August 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '89 900S 3dr | '90 900S 4dr

Intercooler misting is a less efficent means to cool the charge, but it also comes with less risk as you dont have to worry about flooding the engine with too much water.

-Alex

Rally cars use water inj, and generally not intercooler misting.
Old 2nd August 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1994 saab 900 turbo vert

i am familiar with how the misting works but can you tell me in detail how the water injection works? where is it injected?

Old 3rd August 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Default water injection

Water injectors inject misted/atomized water into the inlet, the water then absorbes some of the latent heat in the charged air and allows it to compress more therefore you get more O2 to burn. Also presence of the water vapour helps the fuel mix more evenly and also reduces pinking or knock as it stabilizes the combustion process.

I think the earlier turbo cars used water injection to sustain higher levels of boost without reducing the compression ratio or risking damaging the engine, the Auz 900 Enduro ran at 17psi with permenant water injection(the system was always active, injecting under boost).
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: T8, FMIC,173bhp & 228ft lb

IIRC the early 99T/900T rally cars ran W.I. but they ran crazy boost.. BHP & ft/lb figures

I have read somewhere their W.I. tanks were "BIGGER" than their petrol tanks

HTH Paul

Old 3rd August 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

This is how the saab water injection works

You may have to just look at the pictures in places as its not all in english! (the main diagram and the testing section are though)
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Default water injector

Will this work?

Use a fuel pump to supply the water & a 8v injector, then the overpressure switch to switch on & off.

As the injectors only open @ 4 bar it will only run with water in the system, the fuel pump should be able to get the pressure up.

Will i knacker the fuel pump running water through it? I was going to take the one off my parts car.
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab on the Brain!

My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

I think you might have trouble running water through the fuel pump. They have enough trouble with fuel! (Took me 4 tries to get one running on the 99T!). I'd keep the one you have as a spare if i were you!

You really dont need to work with that much pressure for water injection. The saab system in that PDF is really simple - its basically just a glorified window squirter that it injects with! (it is just a washer pump and reservoir too!).

I would be tempted to invest in some of the aquamist stuff (basically a pump and an injector), and rig up all the triggering stuff myself. Or find an existing water pump out of another car that can do the required pressures and flows and then use a proper nozzle.

On yours you would need to inject as close to the throttle houseing as possible, and getting a good mist would be important. Mine goes in pre-turbo and the turbo mists the water up nicely.

Last edited by Tomarse; 3rd August 2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '89 900S 3dr | '90 900S 4dr

Water injection is partially what allows the rally prepared wrx's run 4 bar of boost with a 10:1 or higher compression ratio. Interestingly the way everything is tuned, they have a problem with detonation very low in the rpms as i understand it.

-Alex
Old 3rd August 2005
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                

Aquamist sells a V good Water injection system.. it works as advertised :-)
go to their site and read for yourselves.
Old 4th August 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Default Aquamist

I've seen there products before, just a bit expensive for me at the moment, probably not completely nessesary for my requirements, would be overkill.

It's more interesting to figure out how to do it yourself, if it was just about how much you've got to spend half of the postings on this site would'nt excist.

I've also modified my APC unit so that it runs on 2 settings, normal and modded, i'm going to add the water injector circuit into that so i can either run normal boost/rise rate or high boost and water injection.

Last edited by Si; 4th August 2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 7th August 2005
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 1986 Saab 900 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda
I have read somewhere their W.I. tanks were "BIGGER" than their petrol tanks
well water is a lot heavier than gas, so wouldn't the extra weight hinder a "race car?"
Old 7th August 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Default weight vs performance

I think being able to run at 17psi of boost or higher with permenant water injection would make up for the extra kilo per litre of water your carrying
Old 24th January 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Saab 900 Turbo

I would love to know where some of you c900 guys mounted your injectors. It seems like as close to the intercooler as possible on that metal intake pipe would be a logical place?
Old 25th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '89 900t 4dr'78 99t'78EMS'11 9-3 Turbo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I would love to know where some of you c900 guys mounted your injectors. It seems like as close to the intercooler as possible on that metal intake pipe would be a logical place?
I have a FMIC and Water/ Meth injection. I placed my nozzles just after the intercooler exit. This allows the intercooler the greatest delta T (temperature) between the force induction air and the ambient air, making the best use of the intercooler. Atomizing the water/meth in the tubing allows the media to absorb the most latent heat with the runner length (longest time possible).
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...=ecu+injection.

I have seen nozzles placed in each runner of an intake manifold. Although sexy, I believe it does not make the best use of the heat absorption. It also creates a siphoning due to the engine vacuum depleting the fluid in the tubes from the nozzle to the pump or check valve.
Old 25th January 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Saab 900 Turbo

Your build is amazing! I would love to know what capacity you found the windshield wiper reservoir to be. I can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Also, I was planning on adding water injection without replacing the stock intercooler. Will the stock one be alright to use for small to medium gains (~1bar total, I am mostly looking to have a super reliable build and try not to kill the tranny)? Because of this, the farthest back I could mount the nozzle would be the metal intake pipe directly upstream of throttle body. I figure this gives me between 8-12 in of room for the mixture to vaporize but what do you think? Another option I suppose would be to mount in the plastic literally on the intercooler but i feel that the rubber elbow connection could cause me problems.

Your downpipe looks great, and I was wondering, what kind of battery you are using? I will be using this car for a daily driver sometimes in cold conditions. I have heard really mixed things about lightweight battery's under these circumstances.

(I'm really sorry if this is somebody's pic, no intention of copy write or anything)

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to know a lot about what your doing. This was my first car but was taken from me at a young age (mom stole it when I went to college). I should be getting it back this summer though and I couldn't be happier!

Last edited by Casey; 25th January 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 25th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '89 900t 4dr'78 99t'78EMS'11 9-3 Turbo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Your build is amazing! I would love to know what capacity you found the windshield wiper reservoir to be. I can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Also, I was planning on adding water injection without replacing the stock intercooler. Will the stock one be alright to use for small to medium gains (~1bar total, I am mostly looking to have a super reliable build and try not to kill the tranny)? Because of this, the farthest back I could mount the nozzle would be the metal intake pipe directly upstream of throttle body. I figure this gives me between 8-12 in of room for the mixture to vaporize but what do you think? Another option I suppose would be to mount in the plastic literally on the intercooler but i feel that the rubber elbow connection could cause me problems.

Your downpipe looks great, and I was wondering, what kind of battery you are using? I will be using this car for a daily driver sometimes in cold conditions. I have heard really mixed things about lightweight battery's under these circumstances.

(I'm really sorry if this is somebody's pic, no intention of copy write or anything)

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to know a lot about what your doing. This was my first car but was taken from me at a young age (mom stole it when I went to college). I should be getting it back this summer though and I couldn't be happier!
Thanks, it is my project car, so usually doing something to it to keep my mind busy and out of the bars.
Capacity of the reservoir: I have a 2 stage manual boost controller .75 and 1 bar, and the pump only kicks on when the manifold pressure is above .80 bar, and it is flow is metered relative to the fuel flow, so the end result the water meth mixture last a pretty long time unless I'm really on it at a track day or dyno tuning. I run a 50-50 mixture by mass of water and Meth. I bought a 5 gal can of Methanol 2 years ago and it is about 1/2 gone.

There are mixed reviews of Water/Meth injection but in my opinion go for it. Adds a bit of safety margin and power because methanol is a fuel. We proved that on the dyno.

Your location looks good. I think anywhere along that pipe is fine. My first water/meth injection was on a 1978 99t and I placed the nozzle just in front of the second rubber coupling. It was the cast pipe, so all you did was tap the wall. if you have the newer mandrel thin wall you will have to add a bung. You don't want to put a jam nut on the inside and risk it coming loose.

Battery: I tried an experiment with a Braile style battery. 15 lbs 275 cca nice and small. Used it for about 2 years. Depleated charge if you did not start it weekly. It turned over fine in normal weather, but did not really trust it in cold weather.
Recently switch to an Odyssey 925. a bit heavier 26 lbs, but still compact. Plenty of power 925 cca for the first 5 seconds. 600 something after...

Your mom is smart for "stealing" a 900c from you. She has great taste in cars.
Old 27th January 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1988 900T convertible

Water injection does not need to be complicated or costly. I built mine for under $200. You can get most everything you need at a farm supply store. Your pump needs to run around 100psi. Much above that and the water goes in at too fine of a mist. I also found out that if you install the water injector nozzle as close to the throttle valve as possible you will get a little better result. I mix my own fluid with a 50-50 mix of distilled water and alcohol.
Not only does the water cool the incoming air charge but it also adds mass to the airflow making it more dense. The alcohol adds a few points to the octane rating.
Basicly water injection makes it winter all year around.
You need to make sure you tune the system to your car. If you add too much water the car will bog down. Also make sure that you have your fuel ratios correct. Water will take care of a lot of problems but it is not a substitue for correct fuel ratios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement