Gearbox Malfunction- What's she telling me? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st August 2005

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
Default Gearbox Malfunction- What's she telling me?

When I got in my car after work today, I got a display saying

"Gearbox Malfunction
Limited Performance
Contact Saab Dealer"

Anyone else had this? Can I drive it safely until I get to the dealer? Should I have it trailered? I have a Linear with auto tranny. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd August 2005

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                

No problem, just needs software update. Drive it like normal until you can take it in.
Old 2nd August 2005

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                

This might be the SLM or Shift Limiting Module dropping off-line (the vehicle bus). Nothing to worry about. There maybe other posts about this.
Old 3rd August 2005

Many thanks! Too bad 6 of the 8 cars in the service bay were Saabs (also a Buick dealership, very sad). Of those 6, 4 were 9-3s. I'm hoping that someday we can download software updates directly from the internet into the car like my Mac computer. Maybe next gen 9-3 or 9-5.
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9 Arc 2.0T Sentronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando67
This might be the SLM or Shift Limiting Module dropping off-line (the vehicle bus). Nothing to worry about. There maybe other posts about this.
Well, you most likely don't have to worry. But I was driving when that same message popped up, and 5 minutes later my trans was dead and had to be replaced
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '03 9 Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet 9-3
Well, you most likely don't have to worry. But I was driving when that same message popped up, and 5 minutes later my trans was dead and had to be replaced
When did that happen? How many miles were you at when that occured?
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnifex
April 7th. 36,800 miles. Here's the thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47704
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '03 9 Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet 9-3
April 7th. 36,800 miles. Here's the thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47704
Damn hearing this makes me want to get an extended warranty, mine runs out at 36,000. I would weep like a little girl if my transmission died and I had to pay for it. How common is this with the new 9-3?
Old 3rd August 2005
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Damn hearing this makes me want to get an extended warranty, mine runs out at 36,000. I would weep like a little girl if my transmission died and I had to pay for it. How common is this with the new 9-3?
I think I'm the only one here who had to get a new auto box. But, since there was a national backorder (including one guy ahead of me in line at the same dealership), it definitely has happened to others...
Old 3rd August 2005

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                

Quote:
Appoligize to the folks here ... this happened at the dealership while trying to get to the bottom of my trans body valve problem. This was when I was leaving and thought it was related to that issue.

So I didn't get any real milage on it with that indication - I had about 20k on the car at the time. I guess what I was remembering is what the head mechanic was telling me.

I saw the response from Jet 9-3 and saw that post. So I guess I got off lucky and probably should have remembered more of the details before I posted but I guess that is why we are here.

My payback was waiting a month and a half for my valve trans body earlier this year when it was replaced. And Saab paid for the rental for that time period! The funny thing is that the rental ('03) had the same issue. I just hope it doesn't show-up in another 20k miles like the other trans did. They could have put in the same '03 defective part that failed into my car ...

I too am worried about when the warrenty runs out. I'm not sure what to do about that...

Last edited by rando67; 3rd August 2005 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Add specific
Old 4th August 2005

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
Default Take the car to the dealer.

"Anyone else had this? Can I drive it safely until I get to the dealer? Should I have it trailered? I have a Linear with auto tranny. Thanks all!"

Take it to the dealer immediately. My transmission went because of it. I got stuck on the highway in the middle lane with a smoking engine bay.
Old 8th August 2005

Just to conclude the story on the thread, the dealer said it was only a software "glitch" (I wonder how you say that in Swedish). Happy to have her back.
Old 8th August 2005

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: SC Aero 2,8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by loebsta
Just to conclude the story on the thread, the dealer said it was only a software "glitch" (I wonder how you say that in Swedish). Happy to have her back.
That would be a "mjukvaru fel"
Old 1st April 2008

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2002 and 2003
Default Gearbox Malfunction

I received this same warning this morning after getting my car inspected. I have been sick so took it to a near by 5 Star Texaco where I sometimes get my oil changed. After the inspection, when I started the car the Gear Box warning light displayed. I was then told, they do not do a "Gearbox" clean when doing an inspection. Only a Dealership can do this. So now I guess I have to go and wait in line at the dealership, which is always slow as a turtle. After reviewing some of the replys on this site, it appears it could be a software upgrade or otherwise.
Old 17th July 2010

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I did multiple google searches to find relevant information, and I'd rather revive this one than start a whole new one.

About 2 weeks ago I got in my car in a hurry, and probably a bit too quickly after starting I tried to go from Park to Drive, and encountered some resistance. I let it return to Park momentarily, turned the car off, re-started it and everything was fine.

After driving for a moment, the Gearbox Malfunction error appeared. Obviously, this scared the **** out of me.

I noticed no change in performance, and after 3 cold starts the message simply disappeared. I reset the trip and drove over 250 miles without a problem.

However, last night on the first leg of a three hour journey, the message reappeared.

I maintained speeds of 70-80 mph for the course of about 3 hours and noticed no performance issues until I arrived at my destination and had come to a complete stop.

This is when it appeared to be limping. I could not get ANY power transfer to first gear, but once I moved through first I was ok. This severely alarmed me further, so I decided to try it in manual automatic, and it works PERFECTLY fine.

Is this a gear sensor or something, or a software issue?

I apologize for the wall of text but I wanted to provide as much information as possible until I can retrieve some error codes. I'm in a foreign state hoping for good news.
Old 19th July 2010

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 03' 9-3 Vector

I too recently just got this message. And this will be the 3rd time in a year. I recently replaced the output and input sensors. Anybody think it just needs a software upgrade or is it some electrical issues leading up to the sensors??? I have replaced these things way too often it has to be something else triggering these codes.
Old 20th July 2010

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 SS

j-saab, how's the quality of your transmission fluid? I have been worried that the coolant leak issue could contribute to something like sensor failure. Have you checked if it's milky?

In my case, we replaced the input shaft RPM sensor and drove the car another 25K+ miles so far without incident (knock on wood). Didn't see any trans fluid contamination at the time.

3 times in one year would drive me absolutely batty. How much has all that ended up costing you, or should I not ask?
Old 20th July 2010

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 03' 9-3 Vector

quality is ok everytime a mech checked it. however, never did an analysis. I don't recall how much I spent in last year, but I do know I was tired of paying up to $250 for sensor...last time I ordered from ebay $70 and did it myself. I am lead to believe its more than a tranny issue now. It has to be electrical specifically grounding/shorts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement