up and down pipes... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X > 9-2X Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-2X Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-2X

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th July 2005

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
Default up and down pipes...

Hello,
Anyone installed UP/DP on their 9-2x aeros yet? And if so, what do you think? Any CEL issues? Worth it? Which would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th July 2005

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                

my '02 wrx had a o2 sensor in the up-pipe. a catless up-pipe will increase performance. i started getting a 0156 (i think) code after a year or so. i bought a $200 code reader and eraser from autozone. i ultimately fixed it by putting in a transistor that made the o2 sensor read normal. the other fix is to replace the sensor, which is expensive.

the downpipe won't cause a code but won't necessarily increase performane either, unless it's combined with a full turbo back exhaust system. if you go with a high flow cat or no cat you'll eventually get a 0420 code for the rear o2 sensor. same fix as above. i believe www.ponyexpress.com has the transistors for the o2 sensors so they read normal.

luke
Old 21st July 2005

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukerussell
my '02 wrx had a o2 sensor in the up-pipe.
Actually, that's an EGT probe in the uppipe.

If you get a full-length downpipe (replaces both post-turbo cats) you'll need to get the CEL fix for the rear O2 sensor. This isn't a big deal and if you buy a downpipe new, most vendors throw it in for free.

Last edited by jdmpartstx; 21st July 2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 21st July 2005

i've been doing some research that a dp will not yield too much as compared to an uppipe. So perhaps uppipe is better bang for the buck. Hmm... can I use an STi uppipe?
Old 21st July 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
i've been doing some research that a dp will not yield too much as compared to an uppipe. So perhaps uppipe is better bang for the buck. Hmm... can I use an STi uppipe?
Honestly, an uppipe alone won't do much, either. You really don't get any real, honest-to-goodness power until you do a full turbo-back.

The first time I had my car dyno-tuned it had an uppipe (tubular, not cast), downpipe (Helix bellmouth) stock midpipe and STi axle-back. It also had a Unichip and a boost controller running a hair over 15psi. It made 210hp at the wheels. That's about 25-30hp over stock. Had I installed a full turbo-back exhaust it would have been closer to 225-230 at the wheels at the same boost level.

Uppipes are cheap. Used downpipes are cheap, as well. I recommend you do both at the same time.

You can use the STi uppipe. However, it's a cast unit and you'd do good to get an aftermarket tubular one. It'll be lighter and flow more smoothly.
Old 24th July 2005

thanks for the reply. i'm just beginning to look into the up/dp mods. i don't want my 9-2x to be loud.
Old 29th July 2005

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 05' 9-2X

cat-less is the way to go. But the environment won't dig it so much. Be ready for gobs of black smoke to pour out of you exhaust.

Go for the STI uppipe. Yoy can find them dirt cheap on NASIOC. Its cat-less and has a factory heat shield on it so it looks stock. Don't worry about it being cast. You not saving lbs. here.

Jon

Last edited by sLaabaru; 29th July 2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 1st August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLaabaru
cat-less is the way to go. But the environment won't dig it so much. Be ready for gobs of black smoke to pour out of you exhaust.

Go for the STI uppipe. Yoy can find them dirt cheap on NASIOC. Its cat-less and has a factory heat shield on it so it looks stock. Don't worry about it being cast. You not saving lbs. here.
I'm completely catless and I have zero smoke coming out of my exhaust. The only reason any smoke would come out would be from exessive blow-by (if you haven't installed a catch can) or bad tuning. I wouldn't say my emmissions are clean by any means - but there is no visible smoke.

The issue about cast vs tubular isn't for weight savings - it's for flow. I agree, however, that the STi uppipe has the benefit of looking stock.

And the difference between a cast iron uppipe - even the STi one with no catalyst - and a tubular stainless steel one IS pounds. Quite a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement