8V idling issues - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th June 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: Newly Acquired 2001 9-5 93 900S
Default 8V idling issues

Ever since I got the car 2 years ago it never seemed to idle correctly When first started in any weather it idles too low to the point where the idiot lights remain on. I would have to gently give it gas (too quickly it would stall) to get the lights out. Sometimes during normal driving it would idle at around 1100, sometimes around 600. If I lower idle with the air bleed bolt when its too high it would stall at other times because its too low. Raise it up and its too high at other times. Its gotten worse lately. On a cold start car will sputter and stall out when put in gear even when I raise the rpm's with the pedal and feather the gas. Usually takes a few times before I can get underway. I usually have to manually give it gas under any starting condition or the revs would be too low and during normal driving the idle fluctuates reandomly. Cars been fully tuned, all new parts, filters,timing, etc and I don't see any vauum leaks. I'm thinking maybe the cold start valve or o2 sensor. Both are originals. Any input would be appreciated.

Dave T
87 C900 8V, N/A A/T
only 62 K miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th June 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2002                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 8v N/A & '88 900 SPG, Both 5 spd

The Bosch 02 sensor is pretty cheap for you approx. $30-40. The turbo 3 wire runs about $100. It does have a regular change schedule and you should change it even if it may not be the idling problem. It think the interval was every 50,000 miles (check on that).

This could be tough, since you say it's been tuned. I'd replace the vacuum lines. Silicone lines will run about $40-50.

Oh, I just saw the mileage. 62,000, WOW. That's less than my '87 had on it back when I got it in '99.
Old 9th June 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

Before even getting into sensors or anything. Pull your throttle body and make sure that the butterfly is fully closing and moving freely. Also vaccum leaks can come from things like the dipstick/filler tube. Make sure as well that the your throttle and kick down cable aren't binding in any way.
Old 9th June 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
My Saabs: sold

Hi , I'd start by wasteing a can of carb cleaner ,while its at idle ,around all the rubber hoses and gromets going to the intake and in it . If the idle picks up at a fitting its a vacuum leak.Also pinch the brake booster hose to see if it picks up. If not ,do a injector spray test. Pat
Old 10th June 2005

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1989 C900i 8v 3dr Auto

First thing I'd check: Aux Air Valve. Sounds like that could be sticking.

Also, check you've not got a leak between the throttle body and the air cleaner, as that would mess around with the air metering if there was a leak (however small) there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement