Cd Auto Changer Jammed - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st May 2005

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 Saab 9-3 Vector 2.0 T 175Bhp
Default Cd Auto Changer Jammed

Hi guys,

The 6 cd auto changer in the boot of my 9-5 has seemed to have jammed, with cd's in the cartridge. It was working fine 5 days ago, now when I select the the cd changer by pressing the button on the audio unit, the message 'no disc' appears.

On moving to the boot and sliding the changers door open, the cartridge will not budge. I have even taken the unit out (without disconnecting the leads) to see if I can shake it out, but no luck.

Any suggestions most welcome

Cheers, Phil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st May 2005
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Can you disconnect and then reconnect the permanent live?
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 21st May 2005

I think so. I'll pull the fuses 1st. I do not want to disconnect the battery if possible as this may cause all sorts of probs.

Cheers, Phil

Got the player out, taken the cover off and can see the disc which is stuck in the play position. god knows how I'll get it out. Mmmm

Last edited by euroswill; 21st May 2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 22nd May 2005

OK. Got the changer out & took the thing to bits. Well, removed the covers and managed to salvage all 6 CD's without damage. A very tricky job but worth it.

The changer, now re installed does not respond at all now except for the same message on the SID "NO DISC"

I will make a visit to a SAAB garage tomorrow and see if it can be rectified with TECH2 equipment but I do not hold much hope.

Phil
Old 22nd May 2005
Saab Sage!

I get that, but when I press the cd button again it works, mine checks the in-dash unit first I guess
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 22nd May 2005

If I press the eject for the in dash CD player, it cycles too, but pressing the RDM once, twice, three times for the changer, nothing at all. All the fuses are fine, cut the constant live to the unit and re connected and still nothing.

I think this unit is made by Clarion so ill look at a web site tomorrow to see if that helps before going to the bank, then to SAAB

Cheers, Phil
Old 23rd May 2005

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 "TrollSport"

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroswill
If I press the eject for the in dash CD player, it cycles too, but pressing the RDM once, twice, three times for the changer, nothing at all. All the fuses are fine, cut the constant live to the unit and re connected and still nothing.

I think this unit is made by Clarion so ill look at a web site tomorrow to see if that helps before going to the bank, then to SAAB

Cheers, Phil
Phil got to be worth a try on the warranty
Old 24th May 2005

Hi Finn,

Tried the warranty which came with the car and guess what, it excludes the 'audio system' in the small print.
The garage thinks I may need a new changer as now life was present when plugged into the Tech2 equipment.
Any one know what is compatible with a saab 9-5 yr 2000. The Clarion DC628 I know is not. That way I can buy it and have them marry it with the car and save a few quid.

Cheers,

Phil.

They think this unit is made by Pioneer

Last edited by euroswill; 24th May 2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 25th May 2005

Angry

Had enough of this problem now and left the cd unit with neobrothers to see if they can suss it out.

The unit Saab install on the 9-5 is Pioneer. I spoke to there tech dept and they inform me that they are made in Japan and fitted with a spacial chip. This makes them unique and only operate with the standard head unit fitted to the car. Security is the reason.

To repalce the 400126470 unit will cost 322 new, but am on the lookout for a second hand one which has been divorced.

Failing that, I'll probably fit a complete new system, which works out less than the cd changer alone from saab.

A word of caution, PROTECT YOUR CD CHANGER FROM KNOCKS

Phil
Old 26th May 2005

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: MY01 9-5 Aero Estate

I'd say don't give up just yet. From your description this problem sounds power related ie the unit is completely dead rather than misbehaving, so I've two suggestions:

- Eliminate a fault in the cable from the head unit. If the changer is completely dead in another car then the fault is proved to be in the changer and the cable in your car is most likely OK. Maybe this has been tried already.

- Find a local car audio repairer to have a look at the changer. I recommend finding someone with an electronics workshop onsite so that you can talk to them and explain the problem rather than letting it be sent away. Explain that it's a Pioneer changer, as they might not want to look at it if they think it's some strange Saab 'thing'. With any luck they might recognise the original Pioneer model when they see it.
From the description (and my own general repair experience) it wouldn't surprise me if there's a problem in the power input circuitry that's preventing the rest of the unit powering up. Once located these faults are usually quite simple to fix.
If it is this (and the price is right!) then ask the repairer to locate and fix the fault so that it powers up on the bench (ie insert/eject cartridge works). Make sure they know that it's coded to your vehicle so that they don't spend hours trying to decode it. I think the only way to fully retest will be to attach to your vehicle.

Good luck !

dan_aero
Old 26th May 2005

Thanks for your input Dan_Aero.

The unit is going to be tested on a couple of other vehicles to see, as you suggested if the problem is power related so I'll wait and see before drastic action is taken.

Saab head office rang me yesterday and said no warranty exists as the car is 41/2 yrs old, but a Saab garage can arrange for the unit to be sent away, tested and fixed if needed.

My suspision is a 'ribbon' inside the unit which connects the chassis electronics, then to the floating changer/playing head, as this became detached at one connector when I opened the unit up originally. After re connection, it was still dead as an ELK

I'll post the outcome once known.

Cheers, Phil.
Old 2nd June 2005

Thumbs up

Well, all sorted out now. The problem was a bad earth link from the 12 pin plug & socket on the back of the unit, and according to the garage, it's not the 1st they have seen.

The CD changer now works fine, as it should, and saved me a packet too

Thanks for all you input guys, appreciated.

Phil.
Old 2nd June 2005
Saab Sage!

Well done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement