Symptoms of worn MOTOR MOUNTS... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd May 2005

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: '93 900S, '93 9000 CSE, '94 9000 AERO
Default Symptoms of worn MOTOR MOUNTS...

My shifter moves ALOT when I accelerate and let off the accelerator when moving. I suspect the motor mounts. When I cruise at about 65/70...I get vibration and the shifter vibrates like crazy. If it is the motor mounts...are these hard to replace?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th May 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1991 900 16v Turbo Convertible SE

Can be the mounts, yes -- they will allow engine and tranmission movement that makes the shifter move.

Shouldn't be too hard -- check the Tech Help section on the above tab and search the board for motor mount or engine mount.
Old 4th May 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1989 T8 Special

Open the bonnet/hood & get somebody to pull away slowly in the car while you watch the engine. With worn/shot mounts you will see the engine lift on pull-away.
Old 4th May 2005

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                

If it's the motor mounts it will vibrate the fillings out of your teeth while stopped at a light as well.
Old 4th May 2005

If your shifter is moving around that much - it may be the shifter itself is loose. I had the same thing and though either my motor mounts, clutch, tranny or linkage bushings were bad but it ended up the four (I believe) screws holding the shifter in place (located under the shifter boot) were coming loose.
Old 4th May 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: '85 900T(x2), '94 9000 Aero

I'm pretty sure my mounts are good -- things don't shake around much, and the engine doesn't seem to move under load. I like the idea of standing outside the car while someone else drives with the hood/bonnet up and will give it a try.

What I do experience is that the shifter will pop out of 2nd on a rough road. Shocked me the first time it happened --I thought the transmission had disintegrated. Now when I'm in 2nd for long periods of time on a bouncy gravel road, I have to remember to restrain the shifter while driving. Anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it cause for concern or "normal" behavior? Other gears seem to hold fine and not shake around nearly us much under the same conditions.

This is in my '85 turbo that has 230K miles of experience. I don't know for certain, but I think the transmission and engine are original.

-*- Dan
Old 4th May 2005
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1991 900 16v Turbo Convertible SE

Again, popping out of one gear could be due to any of the above. I've heard that you can test the mounts by opening the hood, putting the car in gear with the engine off and rocking it back and forth. If the engine moves, the mounts are probably bad. You may want to search for more information.

Before you go out and buy and install new mounts, I would check the shifter for proper fit and adjustment. Just easier and cheaper.
Old 4th May 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900S 3-door auto. 1988 900S 4-door 5-spd.

Another easy check is to look at the front engine mount--the one attached to the trans and the front crossmember, near the base of the rad.

These can self-destruct over time--the metal fatigues and breaks near one of the bolts holding the mount to the crossmember--but are the easiest (and cheapest) to replace. Worth a look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement