Need some help on a very annoying idle/drivability problem - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st April 2005

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1987 Saab 900 16vT
Default Need some help on a very annoying idle/drivability problem

Hi i have a 87 16v Turbo...I will start out with the idle problem...When i first start the car, it almost stalls and pretty much everytime i come to a stop the same thing happens. When im idling the idle hunts up and down between 1000 and 700 usiually...sometime when i first start the car it goes from almost 700 to 1500. Along with this i have drivability issues in which sometimes the car has no power even when the turbo spools and boost is there. for instance mainly when i take let out the clutch in 1st, if I let it out a little quick the car falls on its face and will have no power at all, and when you hit boost the gauge goes up normal range but still you alot less power than normal, and then sometimes out of nowhere it goes away and resumes full power. On top of this i have a problem with my fuel and temp gauges...the fuel gauge seems fine when i fill up and for the next 20 miles, but after that it kinda does its own thing...sometimes it reads empty sometimes 1/2....depends on how it feels i guess, and my temp gauge is way off, it goes up very quickly and stays 3/4 way up or more sometimes...i verified that it is not running too hot. Since i bought the car ive replaced the turbo, coolant temp semsor, fan switch, thermostat, expansion tank cap, and recently replace the 02 sensor as i ran many test and found that the 02 was not responding properly. so i replaced it, and also found wiring faults in the heater cicuit and replaced some wiring and put a new blade style inline fuse in. im thinking it might be the AIC valve...although it buzzes i dont think its working properly...also i cleaned and oiled it...ive also verified the tps is correct, the amm flashes like its supposed to, everything seemed to check out fine according to the book...I also reset the screw in the AMM to the specified value that the bentley said. All the grounds seem to be fine too.

Please help me!!
Thanks,
Colin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st April 2005
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

As for the hunting idle, have you read this?
http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/...g_problems.php
Old 25th April 2005

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1987 Saab 900 16vT

Still diagnosing...thanks for those that have helped so far..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement