SaabCentral Forums banner

refinish whees

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  johncc 
#1 ·
Guys -

Have any of you ever refinished your alloy wheels. My wheels on my '94 Aero are in kind of rough shape. No dents or cracks, but a few scrapes, and then a few spots where the finish is completely coming off.

I'd love to have the money and source to powdercoat them, but that's not practical on a 9 year old used car. Dare I try spray paint? From what I understand, hot brake dust is quite toxic and may eat right through any finish that isn't professionally applied.

For now, I've just cleaned them and put a coat of wax on them to keep any further damage off.

Love to hear your ideas.

#2 ·
Same problem with two of mine due to a careless pervious owner. I am getting them recon'd - awaiting a price at the moment. Personally, it's worth the investment 'cos I hate skuffed alloys. :oops: For ref., Neobrothers charge around 400 quid for a set of new original super Aero's. Oh, mine are also brake dust pitted. Go-on, treat your Saab! :cheesy:

#3 ·
I've been told (not with reference to any particular alloys) when I asked in another place, £30-£40 per wheel. I don't know if particular wheels cost more, but I doubt it.

I would say it's at least worth asking around your area. It think £120 to £160 for a shiny set of wheels is quite reasonable, even on an old car. Heck, if the car dies at least you can sell the wheels :cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.