Got a speeding ticket (rant) - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge
The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31-03-05
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900 SE
Default Got a speeding ticket (rant)

I'm not sure about how many of you are familiar with boston, but it doesn't really matter because the story holds true no matter what.

I was driving on route 93 north, and took the exit for the mystic valley parkway (mvp). for those of you not familiar, route 93 is one of the major highways in boston, and it has a speed limit of 55 i believe, but everyone goes 65 at least. mystic valley parkway is a 3 lane road just as you get off of 93.

Anyway, i took the exit, and i just let off the gas and drifted on mvp, and when i get to the end there's a traffic jam, and a cop signals to me to pull over. He says he clocked me at 51 mph, and apparently it's a 35 mph zone, although it's basically a highway when you get off mpv. There are 3 lanes, and they're widely spread out, and there are slow gentle turns. there's a total of 4 cops sitting at the end of the road, and while the cop that stopped me is writing my ticket, i watch the other cops. they're just sitting with their radar guns, with SCOPES, sniping the cars as they pull off 93 from a distance where you couldn't even see that you were being gunned. at any given moment there were 4 cars pulled over.

I just think this is rediculous that cops would use these tactics. I was in no way shape or form going an unsafe speed, especially given that i was coming off of a major highway. The fact that they could be CONSTANTLY pulling over cars suggests to me that there wasn't anything wrong with the way people were driving, but the way the cops were enforcing the law.

Besides the point, i had just gotten out of a school sailing program, and was driving two fellow students, and my coach home at the time. it wasn't like i was showing off the car or anything...

i'm just a lil mad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-05

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                

did you see any signs to indicate the change in speed limit? if there aren't any fight it in court.
Old 31-03-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 SQR stage IV - 2002 9-5 Aero

Yeah, was it a yellow caution type sign? Just trying to get all the details.
Old 31-03-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900S 2.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacko
sniping the cars as they pull off 93 from a distance where you couldn't even see that you were being gunned
Is that over towards Slummerville? But I do have to say, just because you didn't see them 'sniping' cars off is no grounds to base an appeal. They caught you fair and square. Aren't the speeds of interchanges (exit and entrance ramps off and on highways) commonly known as 35 mph unless otherwise stated (thats what I learned in driver's ed. a few years back at least).
Car salesman: But it only had one previous owner....James Bond!
Peter: I'll take it!
Old 31-03-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 94 900SE V6

I take somewhat of a hard lean on this. I got my photo snaped as I went around a corner the other day and I'm just waiting for the ticket in the mail!

At first I was mad, but then I thought, well, I should learn my lesson to not speed. There was no excuse, I was speeding.

Now if your keeping up with trafic, and they target you, then I would feel angry. Sounds like from what you said they were trying to pull over as many people as they could. Maybe there really is a speed problem in that area they are trying to solve.

I remeber learning about a guy in high school who was allways in and out of jail breaking the law. I came to the realization then that this person didn't see anything wrong with his behaviour, unless he got caught. Since then, I've tried to do whats right, no matter who's watching, or the circumstances.

Tboy
Old 31-03-05
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

I'm not an advocate of dangerous driving, but non-New Englanders often don't realize that nobody drives the speed limit in Massachusetts. It's usually more dangerous to go the posted speed because you'll just get passed left and right.

I lived in New Hampshire which raised it's limit to 65 before Mass. did. In those days you would usually speed up after you crossed into Mass.

Another fun Massachusetts trivia fact. It has one of the highest accident rates but one of the lowest fatality rates. Go figure
Old 31-03-05

yea nobody drives the speed limit in new jersey either. 80mph on the highway is average.
Old 31-03-05
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma0926
yea nobody drives the speed limit in new jersey either. 80mph on the highway is average.
Nonsense there's too much traffic - I've driven on 18, you feel lucky when you hit 20
Old 31-03-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Black Aero Convertible

Quote:
I'm not sure about how many of you are familiar with boston, but it doesn't really matter because the story holds true no matter what.

I was driving on route 93 north, and took the exit for the mystic valley parkway (mvp). for those of you not familiar, route 93 is one of the major highways in boston, and it has a speed limit of 55 i believe, but everyone goes 65 at least. mystic valley parkway is a 3 lane road just as you get off of 93.

Anyway, i took the exit, and i just let off the gas and drifted on mvp, and when i get to the end there's a traffic jam, and a cop signals to me to pull over. He says he clocked me at 51 mph, and apparently it's a 35 mph zone, although it's basically a highway when you get off mpv. There are 3 lanes, and they're widely spread out, and there are slow gentle turns. there's a total of 4 cops sitting at the end of the road, and while the cop that stopped me is writing my ticket, i watch the other cops. they're just sitting with their radar guns, with SCOPES, sniping the cars as they pull off 93 from a distance where you couldn't even see that you were being gunned. at any given moment there were 4 cars pulled over.

I just think this is rediculous that cops would use these tactics. I was in no way shape or form going an unsafe speed, especially given that i was coming off of a major highway. The fact that they could be CONSTANTLY pulling over cars suggests to me that there wasn't anything wrong with the way people were driving, but the way the cops were enforcing the law.

I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!

I hate that area...cops tend to stick out there because of that speed limit change. Not to mention that turn you are speaking of is where my lovely saab did a 360 into that guardrail on the right hand side. But i do not thing there is a sign with says the speed limit is changing. I go that way alot to come home so I am def familiar with that area.

Fight them in court for it! Sorry to hear about it though
Old 31-03-05
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900 SE

I didn't mean to give off the wrong impression to some people. I know that speeding is wrong and that they caught me. I was just a little angry at exactly how they were trying to catch people. It's an area where people commonly go a little too fast before they slow down. that's probably why the lanes are so wide etc. i'm going to go look for speed limit change signs tomorrow, or at least soon.

either way, i'm not trying to defy authority or anything, i'm just mad i got caught
Old 31-03-05
Super Moderator

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: gone: '01 9-5 2.3t, 1997 900 SE turbo

Not trying to be unsympathetic (I got pulled over Saturday) but this is a workshop forum. This kinda stuff belongs in the lounge.

Cheesy tactics by those cops, BTW. Hey, Boston has to pay for those leaks in the Big Dig tunnels somehow!

I ran into something similar a while back where a motorcycle cop was dismounted and standing against a light pole in the elevated center median. He was radioing ahead to a squad of cop cars ready to go.
Old 01-04-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1984 900 Gli with an 87 N/A 8v engine

Just sounds like profit raising by the cops to me
Old 01-04-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                

i was just up in mass. near worchester for a few days and boy, the cops there were nasty. cops in my area (delaware/maryland) are complete morons in every aspect but these mass. cops speedtrapped like no other, i saw 7 people pulled over in one day on the mass. turnpike...sickening i stuck to 65mph (in a 65) the whole time and was still nervous...

as far as your ticket goes, if it wasnt definatively marked as a speed change, you have good grounds for an appeal.

-wyeth
Old 01-04-05
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

Very annoying when this kind of thing happens. It's one thing if you are deliberately going fast - if you then get a ticket that's fair enough and people should just accept it. But when you genuinely think you are within the limit and get done it does seem very unfair, particularly given that much speed limit signing could be better. My Mum got her first ticket driving a road that has had a 60 mph limit on it for 40 years. She was doing 50 mph as it was windy and raining - this was 1.30 am and no traffic about at all. There was a line of traffic cones on the hard shoulder and a sign for roadworks, with a van sitting in a layby. 2 weeks later she gets a ticket in the post - it was a camera van. She swears there was no temporary speed limit sign, but they claim it was a temporary 30 mph limit and that she was clocked at 50 mph. Knowing that the signing was probably totally inadequate doesn't help - the words on the ticket threaten her with 1000 fine and 6 points if she contests it and is found guilty, which has intimidated her into pleading guilty. The end result now is that if she sees a camera, whatever speed she's doing, she will brake. I've told her this is far more dangerous, but it's become instinctive. So hats off to the great British scam of the decade, credit is due for the biggest hypocrisy in years, the narrow-minded and deformed logic of the 'safety camera' partnership which has made at least one driver on the road far more dangerous as a result of being caught for driving perfectly sensibly for the conditions.
Old 01-04-05
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Carlsson

I recall reading something a while ago about roadworks and their speed reduction. It was something like that with roadworks the temp speeding limit is enforced by only by fines.They are not allowed to give out points for it. It is because the limits are advisory and the true speed limit remains at its normal setting.

Whether this still holds true or not (it was about 18 months ago) I dont know. Although thinking about it I dont see how it can otherwise the M25 variable speed limits would be un e nforcable.
Old 01-04-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900S 2.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy
Now if your keeping up with trafic, and they target you, then I would feel angry. Sounds like from what you said they were trying to pull over as many people as they could.
That may be a grounds for your appeal Sacko. When you go in ask lots of questions to the officer who is present (hopefully one of the officer's from the day shows up). Definitely ask when was the last time the speed gun was calibrated, etc. But while its fresh in your mind, write as many details of the event down (particularly positioning of other cars (try to remember their colors and type of vehicles they were)) that were around you, how their velocity related to your car (where they catching, falling behind, staying equadistant). Then in courst ask the officer why you were choosen to be pull over instead of..say, that green SUV that was tailgating you. Try to present it as you were not the worst offender out there, and that the people they really should have gotten drove right by them. You were part of a wolfpack and you were just keeping up with the rest of traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacko
that's probably why the lanes are so wide etc.
Ah, the old N factor (I'm taking a traffic engineering class this semester), pretty hardcore stuff. Interesting to learn why they do what they do with stuff. N is the lane width factor, which usually doesn't go wider than 12 ft (no gain from anything wider, lots of loss if you go narrower). The wide lanes facilitate a better free flow speed of traffic, which in turn allows for a better level of service of the highway facility, which means more people can get to where their going in less time, apparently it's working , but all this is a lounge thread of its own so I'll stop now.
Car salesman: But it only had one previous owner....James Bond!
Peter: I'll take it!
Old 01-04-05
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 SS Aero TTiD + 9-3 SV Aero

i know how you feel after 20 years of driving and never having a trafic vialation (sp?) i got a ticket monday whilst towing my caravan the ticket was for not having suitable mirrors so 30 on the spot fine
Old 01-04-05

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9 Linear

In Orlando the troopers do similar thing. On I-4 near Universal Studios east bound to downtown the interstate curves and there is an overpass at the curve. The troopers (on motorcycles) snipes with a radar gun behind a sago palm tree and about mile down the road there sits at least 5 more motorcycle troopers in a "wolf pack" ready to pounce on poor unsuspecting tourists... but then again, if you are driving within about 5 mph of the limit, they will usually not bother with you.
Old 01-04-05
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 1999 9-5 5spd

i feel for you dude!

i got pulled over doing 55 in a 45 around goddard park in east greenwich, ri.. and if any of you know where that is you will understand that it is pretty much a 5-10 minute open stretch of road with pretty much NO cars on it. (at least at 11pm at night)

here's my story and i'll make it brief because it pissed me off at the time but looking back at it is kinda amusing...

i pulled out of my friends house to drive to boston and pick up my cousin, and as i'm accelerating on the road (keep in mind i haven't seen ANY other cars on the road yet) i begin to adjust my ipod to get the music i want.

i get up to about 50mph without really paying much attention to the speedometer because i'm paying more attention to the ipod (dumb).. and i look up to see lights flashing, but not a cop. someone's car is pulled over in the other lane's breakdown lane and their four-way blinkers are on.

normally i would stop but given today's society some people are just bad news and i'm kinda in a rush.

not 2 minutes later i get pulled over. i had been on the road for maaaaaaaybe 5 minutes total (that would be a stretch, whole lotta love by led zeppelin hadn't even finished yet!)

the cop takes his time and comes up to the car 3-4 minutes later and asks for my lic and registration, which i hand him and he tells me i was doing 55 in a 45 and he will be right back.

he comes back about 5 minutes later and cheerfully tells me that since i've only had my lic for a month he is going to be nice and just let me... (this is where he gets cut off as an old red ford focus pulls up next to us with an even OLDER guy in it (probably late 70's)

"officer, i thought you should know that just a couple minutes ago this young man passed me in the double yellow, you should take immediate action about this!" *pulls away*

officer- is this true?
me- no officer, i just left my friends house 15 minutes ago, 10 of which were spent here with you.
officer- are you lying to me?
me- no sir, the only car i passed was one in the breakdown lane with their four-way blinkers, and it was a silver Audi.
officer (very pissed off tone)- well i'm going to write you a ticket for this, i'll put you down for 50 in a 45 and you will get a $75 fine and have to appear in court.
me- okay, thank you for understanding. (trying to be niiiiiice)

what is this! if i had only been on the road 5 minutes and then he pulls me over and then 10 min later this old dude shows up saying i passed him, how slow would he had to have been driving!!! like 10mph!

damn i just remembered i wanted to make this short so i'll shut up now... i just think it's kinda funny that even though there was no logic to the old guys comment the cop still acted on it, and how close he was t o letting me go still makes me laugh

k i'm shutting up now.

sorry you got a ticket dude, that's why my parents bought me a radar detector for christmas, though
Old 01-04-05
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 1999 9-5 5spd

oh, and my boss had a good idea and told me that i should've driven away and then called 911 and said

"oh my god!! a red ford focus with the license plate [insert the guy's lic plate # here, i don't remember it anymore] just drove by and shot two people on the side of the road!"

that would've thrown a wrench in the guys plans!

oh and then me being the lucky kid i am ended up being followed by some form of cop for the rest of my 1.5 hour journey to boston, all the way i was either behind or in front of a state trooper or sheriff! jeeeeeeez!
Advertisement