MPGs - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th November 2002

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
Default MPGs

HI,

I know this subject has been talked about many times b4 but I'm new(ish) and didn't have a 9k until recently.

Anyway, just been chatting with my bruv who has a 900 Aero ltp and discussing MPGs, he is getting about 25 avarage to the gal and I'm getting about 23 (short runs not too havey footed) and 27 on long runs.

From what I have read in past threads people are getting different mpgs with the same driving style, not that I notice much difference if I drive like a granny or have a heavy right foot (only the length of the trip seems to make a difference). Some people are getting much better mpgs than others (like me!)

What I would like to know is, is there a way to check if the fueling is correct and can anything be done to fix it?

Anyway, to put thing into perspective, I didn't get a 9K for it's fuel economy but was just wondering if there was something to check/fiddle with...

'94 9000 CSE 2.0lpt in need of a tweak or two!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th November 2002
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                

I have more or less the same model as you and never go below 31...a long journey gains me only .2 by the computer(which is known to be less than accurate anyway) My driving could be described as enthusiastic(!) but I don't thrash the car especially when it's cold. Try working out the fuel manually to see of it matches the readout

Oh, and you may have noticed that resetting the computer means waiting many,many miles before getting a serious readout
Old 6th November 2002
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 1978                                                

Just a quick check- you are reading "MPG Imp" not plain "MPG" as this would giver you a lower reading. You might want to check the accuracy of the gauge with a brim to brim fill.
Old 6th November 2002

I only had my car a few days before it broke down (see other threads) but seemed to manage around 29 mpg on average. That's on mostly motorways and B roads.
Old 6th November 2002

The comp' settings are in the IMP mode, could be faulty but at the rate I have to fill the tank I think it's quite close to the true mpg. It's doing 12L/100KM when you flick through the other settings.

It's had a service, new filters etc and runs ok exceept for an slight hickup now and then when pulling away from a roling start in second. The Sparks are gapped correctly.

Old 6th November 2002
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
My Saabs: Error 404

Nick, I also have a 2.0LPT (manual). I assume yours is manual? I can get (at a push) 35mpg on a long motorway journey, but that's hard to achieve. It averages about 25mpg. On a 2.0LPT auto, I can also coax 35mpg on a long motorway run (again, just), but average about 22-23.
Old 7th November 2002

Yes, the car is a manual, the max I can get is just under 27 and at the moment it's 23ish on my short .

Could be that it's running a bit rich. On my ZX there is a manual mixture adjustment pot that comes out of the ECU. I would guess that the Saab's ECu dose not have an manual tweakery available.

I did read somplace that if the O2 sensor is a bit dodgy that it could cause an over richerning (?) of the fuel mixture. But it looks like a new one in there...

Just had a quick look on saabnet's bb and spotted someone talking about the same thing! Looks like I'm not alone in the wondering about why the same model car give different mpgs...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement